Pacers Seeking Trade For Bench Scoring

The Pacers would like to trade for a player who can help boost their bench scoring, tweets Bleacher Report’s Jared Zwerling. The team’s regular starters score 106.4 points per 100 possessions, according to NBA.com, a rate that would be tied with the Suns for the league’s eighth-best offense. Overall, Indiana scores just 102.3 points per 100 possessions, which puts them 18th.

Indiana’s leading scorer off the bench has been Danny Granger, who averages 8.6 points per game, but his expiring contract could be a trade chip, as I examined last month. He makes more than $14MM this season, but extracting a better scorer will be a tall order if Indiana insists on keeping its balance sheet for next season as clean as possible. Suitors have begun to line up for Lance Stephenson, whom one GM believes will command eight-figure salaries in free agency this summer.

It’ll be doubly tough for Pacers president Larry Bird to pull off a deal, since the team doesn’t have a first-round pick to trade. Bird dealt the team’s 2014 first-round pick to Phoenix in the Luis Scola deal this summer, and the Pacers can’t trade any of their other first-rounders because of the Ted Stepien Rule.

Lakers, Bulls, Bobcats Eye Lance Stephenson

The Lakers, Bulls and Bobcats are among the teams who are planning to target Lance Stephenson in free agency this summer, according to Sean Deveney of The Sporting News. Deveney hears from a GM who expects Stephenson to draw offers with an eight-figure starting salary. Other NBA executives pegged his annual value at between $7-9MM in December, but his continued strong play this season may be boosting his value.

Stephenson has expressed a desire on multiple occasions to re-sign with the Pacers, who’ve signaled that they’re prepared to offer him a sizable contract. It’ll be a tight squeeze to fit such a deal onto the payroll, given Indiana’s reluctance to pay the luxury tax. Deveney examines the variables and suggests the Pacers would have to trade away other salaries to pay Stephenson at market value. Some of his calculations are based on the notion that Paul George could wind up receiving 30% of the cap when his extension kicks in next season, but he agreed to take only 27% of the cap if he triggers the Derrick Rose Rule.

In any case, the Pacers will face tough decisions unless Stephenson is willing to take a hometown discount. Deveney suggests trading Chris Copeland and his two-year, $6.135MM as a solution, but finding a team to absorb that deal without sending salary back to Indiana will be difficult, particularly considering Indiana can’t trade any first-round draft picks before this month’s deadline.

Knicks Rumors: Woodson, Williams, Johnson

The Knicks endured another loss Wednesday, and though they put up a fight against a strong Blazers team, New York fell to 19-30, and rumors persist that Mike Woodson could soon lose his job. Here’s the latest:

  • The Knicks have discussed making assistant coach Herb Williams interim head coach if they fire Woodson, reports Steve Popper of The Bergen Record. The team would also get rid of most of Woodson’s assistants in that scenario, Popper writes, adding that Larry Johnson is a candidate to serve as an assistant under Williams.
  • Woodson’s firing would set up a summer pursuit of Tom Thibodeau, Jeff Van Gundy and Stan Van Gundy, according to Marc Berman of the New York Post. The Knicks would pass over assistants Darrell Walker and Jim Todd, both of whom have head coaching experience, because the team believes they’re too closely allied with Woodson, Berman adds.
  • J.R. Smith says he is “without a doubt” fearful that Woodson will lose his job, Newsday’s Al Iannazzone tweets. Ohm Youngmisuk of ESPNNewYork.com has more from last year’s Sixth Man of the Year. “I love Coach Woodson,” Smith said. “I think he’s done a great job. But it’s out of my hands. So I would hope not [if management opts to make a change], but if it does then we have to live with it.”
  • Jeff Van Gundy would want a major payday, control over the team’s basketball operations, and a relaxation of the team’s draconian media rules if he were to agree to coach the Knicks, sources tell ESPN’s Stephen A. Smith.
  • In the same piece, Smith opines that the Knicks should realize how unattractive they are to free agents and trade Carmelo Anthony before the deadline rather than risk him leaving in the offseason.
  • Woodson admits the season has been a supreme disappointment, as Ian Begley notes via Twitter. “This year, for me, has been kind of a disaster from a coaching standpoint … and trying to get players to play at a high level,” Woodson said.

Cavs Fire GM Chris Grant

The Cavaliers have officially announced the firing of GM Chris Grant. Cavs vice president of basketball operations David Griffin will replace Grant on an interim basis.

The news isn’t altogether shocking, given Cleveland’s 16-33 record and Kyrie Irving‘s reported discontent with the franchise, though the timing is a surprise, since it comes just two weeks shy of the trade deadline. A weekend report from Mitch Lawrence of the New York Daily News suggested the team was expected to fire Grant after the season, though it appears owner Dan Gilbert didn’t want to wait that long.

“There is no one in our entire organization who is satisfied with our performance, and to say that we are disappointed is an understatement,” Gilbert said in part, according to the team’s statement. “We all know the great potential of our young talent, seasoned veterans, as well as our recent all-star addition [Luol Deng]. We believe a change in leadership was necessary to establish the best possible culture and environment for our entire team to flourish.”

Cleveland has had numerous misfires of late, including last season’s No. 1 overall pick Anthony Bennett, who’s averaging just 3.3 points and 11.9 minutes per game. Gilbert had reportedly given the team a mandate to make the playoffs before Bennett was drafted, and his poor start, reflected in the team’s record, helped push the team into acquiring Deng last month, but Cleveland has gone just 4-10 with Deng in the lineup.

Last night’s loss to the banged-up Lakers was apparently the last straw. L.A. ended the game with only five healthy players and had to exploit a little-known NBA rule to keep Robert Sacre on the floor even though he had fouled out.

Grant, who first joined the club as assistant GM in 2005, took over as GM on June 4, 2010, about a month before LeBron James decided to sign with the Heat. That forced Grant into a rebuilding period, helped along by his shrewd trade of Mo Williams and Jamario Moon for Baron Davis and an unprotected draft pick that became the No. 1 overall selection in 2011. The Cavs used it to select Irving, and while Tristan Thompson, the No. 4 overall pick this year, has begun to show signs of development, Grant has had little other success in the draft. Dion Waiters, the No. 4 overall pick in 2012, has been relegated to a sixth-man role after starting for most of his rookie season, and Bennett and Sergey Karasev, last year’s first-rounders, have yet to make meaningful contributions.

The Cavs have relied chiefly on the draft during Grant’s tenure, but the club has also endured high-profile free agent misses. Cleveland committed a combined $29.65MM in guaranteed salary to Jarrett Jack, Earl Clark and the since-traded Andrew Bynum this past summer, none of whom have had the desired effect. The shortcomings of wing players Alonzo Gee and C.J. Miles, Cleveland’s most expensive gets of the summer of 2012, were part of the reason the club traded for Deng.

Grant changed coaches this past offseason, parting ways with Byron Scott and moving swiftly to re-hire Mike Brown, whom the club fired in 2010, shortly before Grant became GM. Brown, in the first year of a five-year contract, has so far failed to deliver winning results.

Griffin has earned respect around the league while serving under Grant in Cleveland’s front office the past three and a half years. He was a candidate for the Clippers GM job in 2012.

Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports was first to report the firing, as well as the news that Griffin was the favorite to be elevated in Grant’s place (Twitter link). Grantland’s Zach Lowe added detail about Griffin, on Twitter.

Celtics Re-Sign Chris Johnson

THURSDAY, 5:54pm: A multi-year contract with Johnson has been announced through a team press release.

WEDNESDAY, 12:29pm: Negotiations continue between the Celtics and Johnson, and Boston is considering attaching an extra season onto the deal, reports Mark Murphy of the Boston Herald. Johnson’s agent, Marc Cornstein, tells Murphy that other teams have shown interest in his client.

10:00am: The Celtics plan to give swingman Chris Johnson a deal for the rest of the season when his second 10-day contract expires after tonight, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports. Johnson has impressed the C’s during his stint with the club, but Boston was unsure about keeping him because of its proximity to the luxury tax.

The 23-year-old Pinnacle Management Corp. client jumped into Boston’s rotation in his first appearance after signing his initial 10-day deal, and averaged 7.6 points in 21.5 minutes per game while shooting 40.0% from three-point range. He had his shortest outing as a Celtic last night against the Sixers, playing slightly more than three minutes, but he’s apparently done enough to convince the team to keep him.

Boston is roughly $1MM away from the luxury tax threshold, and the addition of a minimum-salary deal for the rest of the season for Johnson would draw the team $353,717 closer to that $71.748MM line if the contract begins Friday. It would also give the C’s a 14th guaranteed contract, meaning they could only absorb one extra player in a deadline deal.

Adam Silver Wants To Raise Age Limit To 20

Commissioner Adam Silver would like to change the NBA’s minimum age from 19 to 20, and he’ll take the matter up with the union once it hires a new executive director, tweets Scott Howard-Cooper of NBA.com. The league and the union tabled the issue during negotiations on the current collective bargaining agreement in 2011 with the intent of circling back to the matter, but turmoil in the union appears to have held up discussions since.

The current rule holds that a player must be at least 19 years old to enter the draft, though 18-year-olds may enter if they turn 19 between the draft and December 31st. If the player is from the U.S., he must also be one year removed from high school. The league instituted the age limit in time for the 2006 draft after a decade-long trend of players jumping to the NBA immediately after high school.

It’s unclear whether the union, which doesn’t appear close to naming an executive director to replace the ousted Billy Hunter, would be supportive of changing the rule. Ostensibly, NBA players would support a measure that would delay the influx of talented young players eager to take their jobs, but agents, who have reason to seek as many paydays for their clients as possible, may push against a change. If the age limit does go to 20, it would negatively affect the talent in the first draft for which the new rule is in effect. Still, the 2006 draft, which followed the original imposition of the age limit, produced LaMarcus Aldridge, Rajon Rondo, Rudy Gay and Kyle Lowry.

There’s no timetable for when any changes to the age limit, if approved, would take effect. The rule will almost certainly remain the same for this year’s draft, and probably for next year’s draft, too.

Poll: Is Evan Turner Worth 2014 First-Rounder?

The Sixers continue to seek a first-round pick from teams in return for either Evan Turner or Spencer Hawes, tweets Marc Stein of ESPN.com. It appears they’re looking specifically for a pick between Nos. 10 and 15 in this year’s draft, according to fellow ESPN.com scribe Chad Ford. Philadelphia appears to be seeking a first-rounder for Thaddeus Young, too, even though they’re apparently less inclined to ship him out.

The Sixers appear more anxious to deal Turner than Hawes or Young. Philadelphia has had talks with the Suns and Thunder, and the Clippers, Hawks, Bobcats and Mavs appear to have interest, too. The stumbling block is Philly’s insistence on getting a first-round pick in return. One GM told Sean Deveney of The Sporting News that he’d be hesitant to surrender assets for a player he could sign as a free agent this summer. Turner is set for restricted free agency, but the Sixers appear coy about extending a fairly sizable $8,717,226 qualifying offer, which would tie up a chunk of their cap space. Without the qualifying offer, Turner would become an unrestricted free agent, and teams could strike as they please without worrying that Philadelphia would match offers.

Still, Turner is having a career year, and was the No. 2 overall pick in 2010. He seems like a talented player on the rise. Let us know if you think he’s worth a first-round pick in this year’s draft, and share your thoughts in the comments.

Is Evan Turner Worth A 2014 First-Round Pick?

  • Yes 58% (1,108)
  • No 42% (813)

Total votes: 1,921

Odds & Ends: Cavaliers, Nelson, Afflalo, Melo

Tonight might have been the low point of the season for the Cavaliers. Cleveland fell by double digits at home to an ice-cold Lakers squad that ended the contest with only five available players. Sam Amico of Fox Sports Ohio writes that the Cavs are in desperate need of an immediate change, even if it means making a difficult personnel decision. Here’s a look at some other notable tidbits from the NBA’s Wednesday night:

  • Jameer Nelson has been mentioned in various trade rumors, but the longest tenured Magic player says he hasn’t had any discussions with management about the possibility of being shipped away from Orlando, reveals Brian Schmitz of the Orlando Sentinel
  • Schmitz also passes along in the same piece that he hears Magic GM Rob Hennigan would be “comfortable” retaining both Nelson and the often discussed Arron Afflalo through the deadline.
  • Add Carmelo Anthony‘s former college coach Jim Boeheim to the list of those in favor of Melo leaving the Knicks in free agency this summer. The problem in the NBA, you’re judged on winning championships,” Boeheim said to ESPN Radio. “He’s got to try to go and play where they can win a championship or else he’s going to be a failure. That’s the bottom line.” Al Iannazzone of Newsday has the full story.
  • Rudy Gay is enjoying his time as a member of the Kings and harbors no hard feelings against the Raptors and their decision to deal him to Sacramento, according to Mike Ganter of the Toronto Sun. In another piece, Gatner breaks down his take as to why Gay is playing better since leaving Toronto.
  • Chris Forsberg of ESPNBoston.com takes a look at how second-round picks can be turned into valuable assets, either through crafty trades or focused player development.

Texas Rumors: Asik, Knicks, Mavericks, Ellis

Here’s the latest set of rumors out of the Lone Star state..

  • In his newest Insider piece for ESPN, David Thorpe suggests that it would make sense for the Knicks to target Omer Asik, but he notes New York will need to put together a very impressive package for the Rockets to bite on anything. A Houston/New York swap seems a little far fetched since we’ve heard the Rockets are seeking a stretch four, and the Knicks don’t have one to offer.
  • One reader asks Lang Greene of Basketball Insiders about the likelihood of a three team deal happening involving the RocketsMavericks, and Pistons. In the proposed deal, the Mavs would land Asik, the Rockets would acquire Josh Smith, and the Pistons would obtain Shawn Marion. Greene doesn’t see the deal working since Smith wouldn’t stretch the floor for Dwight Howard, and his expensive contract would be a huge turnoff for Houston.
  • Eddie Sefko of the Dallas Morning News writes that a big second half of the season from Monta Ellis could eventually push the Mavericks to become “next-level contenders” next year by allowing the team to attract big name free agents who might not otherwise see Dallas as a team that can compete for a title.

Lakers Rumors: Johnson, Kupchak, Gasol

Magic Johnson hasn’t suited up for the Lakers since the 1995/96 NBA season, but he’s still trying to help benefit the club’s performance on the court, reports Mark Medina of the Los Angeles Daily News. Regarding the Lakers’ attempt to secure top free agents next summer, Johnson had this to say:

I love [the Lakers]. I’m going to support them. I asked Mitch [Kupchak] the other day if you want me to recruit this summer. People don’t know that was my role with Dr. Buss for a while. I was the first to call [Metta World Peace], Lamar Odom, all these guys. That was my job, calling them and recruiting them.

The Lakers are riding a seven game skid and currently sit tied for the bottom spot in the Western Conference, so it looks like they’ll need all the help they can get. Here’s the latest out of LA:

  • Kupchak spoke with Jared Greenberg and Rick Fox on SiriusXM NBA Radio, and the latest piece from Eric Pincus of the Los Angeles Times passes along the most notable bits from their sit down: “There is no plan to secure a player at a certain time,” said Kupchak, “We don’t know what the opportunities are going to be for the next two weeks, in terms of the trade deadline.  We don’t know who is going to opt in, who is going to opt out, who may or may not be a free agent this summer.
  • Kupchak on a potential deal involving Pau Gasol: “On one hand I really feel for the situation [Gasol is] in but on the other hand our guys are very, very highly compensated professionals and this is the business that they chose… He’s a great player and regardless of what happens, he’ll go down as one of the great players in Laker history.
  • We heard yesterday that the Lakers and Suns still might still be in discussions for a potential Gasol/Emeka Okafor swap, and Lang Greene of Basketball Insiders opines in his weekly chat that such a deal would be a win-win for both clubs.