Knicks coach Derek Fisher and Grizzlies small forward Matt Barnes reportedly had a physical confrontation last Saturday in Los Angeles and Fisher is considering legal action for the incident, but has not yet filed any charges. The Knicks, Grizzlies and NBA security have been made aware of the incident and are expected to soon start working together on a probe of the events. “We are aware and currently gathering information regarding today’s report involving Matt Barnes,” the Grizzlies said in a press release. The conflict stemmed from Fisher’s romantic involvement with the estranged wife of Barnes, a former teammate, and when Barnes found out, he allegedly attacked Fisher. Fisher and Barnes’ ex, Gloria Govan, have reportedly been dating for a few months, a relationship that began after Fisher filed to divorce his wife of 10 years, Candace, this past March.
Here’s more from the week that was…
Free Agent Signings
- The Hornets signed Damien Wilkins.
- The Pacers signed Kadeem Jack.
- The Cavaliers reached an agreement with Dionte Christmas.
- The Grizzlies signed Sampson Carter.
- The Grizzlies signed Alex Stepheson.
- The Pelicans agreed to a deal with Greg Smith, but Smith failed his physical.
- Travis Wear signed with Gipuzkoa Basket of Spain.
- Arinze Onuaku signed with Israeli powerhouse Maccabi Tel Aviv.
You can stay up to date on all of the signings with Hoops Rumors’ free agent tracker.
- The Clippers waived center Nikoloz Tskitishvili.
- The Grizzlies waived Daniel Nwaelele.
- The Suns waived Deonte Burton.
- The Grizzlies waived Michael Holyfield.
- The Pacers officially named Steve Gansey as the head coach of their new D-League affiliate, the Fort Wayne Mad Ants.
- The Knicks hired Mike Miller as the coach of their D-League affiliate, the Westchester Knicks.
- The Spurs hired Patrick Mutombo and A.J. Diggs as assistant coaches for their D-League affiliate, the Austin Spurs.
- Hornets small forward Michael Kidd-Gilchrist suffered a torn labrum in his right shoulder and underwent surgery on Tuesday to repair the damage. He is expected to miss the entire 2015/16 campaign as a result.
- Free agent center Nazr Mohammed is considering retiring.
- Prominent NBA agent Happy Walters left Relativity Media and its Relativity Sports offshoot.
- Top 2016 draft prospect Skal Labissiere has reportedly not yet received NCAA clearance to play this season at Kentucky.
- The National Football League gave its OK to Stan Kroenke’s plan to transfer ownership of the Nuggets to his wife, Ann Walton Kroenke, satisfying an NFL rule barring its owners from also owning another pro sports team in an NFL city.
- A Manhattan Criminal Court jury found Thabo Sefolosha not guilty on all three charges levied against him for his involvement in an April incident with New York City police.