Hawks Shopping First Round Picks
The Hawks, who now hold the No. 12 and No. 21 overall picks in Thursday’s NBA Draft, are shopping both selections in an effort to free up more cap flexibility to re-sign center Al Horford this summer, Marc Stein of ESPN.com reports (Twitter links). Horford, 30, is set to become an unrestricted free agent and is likely to be in high-demand around the league.
Atlanta acquired the No. 12 selection earlier today in a three-way trade involving the Pacers and Jazz. In the deal the team shipped out point guard Jeff Teague, signaling that it is handing the reigns of the offense over to the younger Dennis Schröder, who had made no secret about his desire to be the starter going forward. If the team deals away the two picks, it can free up in excess of $3.7MM in cap flexibility based on the current projected salaries of NBA first round picks.
If the franchise is unable to move the picks, it could look to nab a big man, Jonathan Givony of DraftExpress tweets. The scribe mentions Jakob Poeltl, Deyonta Davis and Domantas Sabonis as potential targets for Atlanta.
Brandon Bass Declines Player Option
JUNE 22: Bass has now officially opted out of his deal with the Lakers, making him a free agent on July 1st, tweets Eric Pincus of Basketball Insiders.
JUNE 16: Brandon Bass will turn down his $3.135MM player option for next season with the Lakers and become an unrestricted free agent, the player’s representatives have informed Brad Turner of The Los Angeles Times (Twitter link). The notion that the power forward would opt out and test the open market this offseason was first relayed by Chris Haynes of the Northeast Ohio Media Group back in April.
The 31-year-old saw his numbers decline as he assumed a bench role in L.A. this season after spending the previous four years primarily as a starter for the Celtics. His 7.2 points, 4.3 rebounds and 20.3 minutes per game were his lowest in each category since the 2009/10 campaign. Still, Bass is a solid teammate who works hard and provides veteran leadership, all qualities the Lakers could benefit from by re-signing the big man this offseason. For what it’s worth, Bass noted that he hopes to remain with the franchise and that the feeling is mutual, Turner tweets.
Two strong possibilities for Bass next season if he doesn’t return to Lakers would be the Celtics and Clippers, though that is merely my speculation. Boston coach Brad Stevens said in December that he remained high on Bass, who said shortly before then that he’d planned to play out the rest of his career with Boston until the Celtics signed Amir Johnson instead last summer. The Tony Dutt client ended up with the Lakers, signing a two-year, $6.135MM contract in July. L.A. reportedly made Bass available for trades over the winter, but offers were said to be unappealing.
Knicks Among Teams Howard Would Consider
Having declined his player option with the Rockets, Dwight Howard is headed for free agency in July, and according to Ian Begley of ESPN.com, the Knicks are among the teams the veteran center will consider. Begley writes that Howard told friends earlier in the season that he’d be interested in playing for the Knicks, and that interest still exists with the free agent period around the corner, per Begley.
Of course, while Howard may be open to landing in New York, it’s not yet clear whether that interest will be reciprocated. With Arron Afflalo and Derrick Williams opting out of their contracts, the Knicks figure to have more than $30MM in cap room, which would be enough to sign Howard, but the club will likely prioritize backcourt upgrades this offseason. Signing Howard might also mean jettisoning Robin Lopez, who signed a long-term deal with the Knicks a year ago and had a solid season.
Howard’s time in Houston probably can’t be considered a huge success, despite the fact that the Rockets made the Western Conference Finals in his second year with the franchise. The eight-time All-Star was never really a perfect complement for star shooting guard James Harden, and saw his involvement in the team’s offense decline during the past two seasons. Howard made 71 appearances for the Rockets in 2015/16, averaging 13.7 points, 11.8 rebounds, 1.4 assists and 1.63 blocks in 32.1 minutes per game. He shot 62% from the field, but just 48.9% from the free-throw line.
Despite Howard’s up-and-down stint in Houston, ESPN’s Calvin Watkins reports that team officials tried to talk the former first overall pick into picking his player option and staying for one more season (Twitter link via ESPN’s Marc Stein). The Rockets could still make an effort to re-sign Howard in free agency, but they’ll have competition from other suitors now.
Deveney’s Latest: Faried, Wolves, Magic, Suns
While the Sixers, Celtics, and a few other clubs have been the subject of more trade rumors in recent weeks, the Nuggets may actually be the team most likely to pull off a draft-day deal, sources tell Sean Deveney of The Sporting News. As we noted earlier this week, Denver is one of four teams holding three first-round picks, and is the only one of those clubs without a D-League affiliate, which will make it tricky for the Nuggets to use all their selections and carry all those players on their roster.
In addition to holding three top-20 picks, the Nuggets also have Kenneth Faried, who hasn’t demanded a trade, but wouldn’t mind being moved, since he doesn’t feel like he’s a part of Denver’s long-term plans, according to Deveney. The Sporting News scribe adds that the Nuggets have received offers for Danilo Gallinari as well, but would prefer to move Faried.
Here’s more from Deveney, including info on a potential suitor for Faried:
- The Timberwolves have spoken to the Nuggets and have some interest in trading for Faried, Deveney writes. New head coach Tom Thibodeau observed Faried first-hand when they were both part of Team USA at the 2014 World Cup, and apparently liked what he saw.
- The Magic will have interest in a handful of former Florida Gators in free agency this summer, including Al Horford, Joakim Noah, and Chandler Parsons, according to Deveney. With Orlando hoping to make a splash in free agency, Deveney also points out that the team could take a risk on a young project like Skal Labissiere in the draft, with the expectation that they’ll land veteran help a couple weeks later.
- The Suns have interest in Kris Dunn at No. 4, and Eric Bledsoe would become very available in trade talks if the team were to select Dunn with that pick. However, Bledsoe’s knee issues could diminish his value, as one GM tells Deveney: “It’s definitely a case of selling low if they trade him now. Those knees are serious red flags and you figure it is only a matter of time before (his left meniscus) will be removed.” Bledsoe previously had his right meniscus removed, and has had his left meniscus repaired.
- Spanish forward Juan Hernangomez is projected to come off the board in the 20-30 range in Thursday night’s draft, and Deveney says the Raptors, who hold the No. 27 pick, are particularly interested. Hernangomez seems willing to remain overseas as a draft-and-stash project, but has also said he’d love to come to the NBA immediately.
Eastern Rumors: Magic, Wizards, Noah, Knicks
The Magic were prepared to make Chauncey Billups one of the highest-paid assistant coaches in the NBA, offering him a spot as the lead assistant on Frank Vogel‘s new staff in Orlando, but Billups has turned down the team’s offer, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of The Vertical. According to Wojnarowski, the former NBA Finals MVP gave serious consideration to joining the Magic before deciding to remain in his current role as a television analyst. However, Billups does have interest in transitioning into a front-office role in the future.
Meanwhile, the Magic are in advanced talks with Timberwolves assistant David Adelman for a post on Vogel’s staff in Orlando, sources tell Wojnarowski.
Here’s more from across the Eastern Conference:
- Add the Wizards to the list of teams with interest in Joakim Noah, says Darren Wolfson of 5 Eyewitness News (Twitter link). Noah, who may leave the Bulls and has said he’s looking forward to free agency, is also expected to receive interest from the Timberwolves.
- Arron Afflalo and Derrick Williams are opting out of their contracts with the Knicks, and while Afflalo is likely a goner, Phil Jackson is fond of Williams, a source tells Stefan Bondy of The New York Daily News.
- Stan Van Gundy is confident that the Pistons will get a solid long-term piece at No. 18, but he isn’t counting on that player to contribute immediately, as Keith Langlois of Pistons.com details. In other words, if Detroit drafts a point guard with that first-round pick, that won’t stop the team from potentially pursuing a point guard in free agency. Van Gundy added that if the Pistons get trade inquiries on their pick, they have a good idea of “what would make us listen and what wouldn’t.”
- If the right opportunities don’t arise this summer, the Celtics shouldn’t be in any rush to burn all their assets and cap room, writes Steve Bulpett of The Boston Herald, making the case that “wait until next year” might not be a bad Plan B for Boston. Bulpett adds (in a tweet) that the C’s are “trying very hard” to make major deals, and are well prepared with quick counters when different scenarios are raised in trade talks.
Draft Rumors: Lakers, Ingram, Celtics, Bembry
With Ben Simmons having reportedly received a promise from the Sixers at No. 1, the Lakers know who will be on the board for them at No. 2, and barring a last-minute blockbuster trade offer, Los Angeles intends to select Duke’s Brandon Ingram with that pick, according to ESPN’s Chad Ford and Ramona Shelburne. The decision, which comes as no surprise, comes after the Lakers spent three hours meeting with new head coach Luke Walton on Tuesday night, per the ESPN.com report. The team did its homework on other top prospects, but this year’s class has always been viewed as having a consensus top two, so it would have been a huge upset if the Lakers had landed on anyone but Ingram.
Let’s check in on a few more draft rumors, notes, and updates around the league…
- ESPN’s Marc Stein wrote last night that the Celtics‘ preference at No. 3 – assuming they keep the pick – has “emerged as one of the bigger mysteries of draft week.” Bill Simmons of The Ringer agrees, tweeting that the Suns (Marquese Chriss), Timberwolves (Kris Dunn), Pelicans (Jamal Murray), and Kings (Buddy Hield) all appear to have preferred targets, but Boston could throw a wrench into the top eight by selecting one of those players. Meanwhile, Brett Dawson of The Advocate cautions (via Twitter) that it’s not yet clear whether Murray is New Orleans’ top target.
- The Hawks, Sixers, and Spurs – all of whom have picks in the 20-30 range tomorrow night – have done the most extensive research on former St. Joseph’s wing DeAndre’ Bembry, a source tells Jon Rothstein of CBSSports.com (Twitter link).
- Rothstein adds (via Twitter) that two names he’s hearing on the Grizzlies‘ short list for the No. 17 pick are Wade Baldwin (Vanderbilt) and Malachi Richardson (Syracuse).
- The Pacers have narrowed down their list of realistic targets for the No. 20 overall pick to eight prospects, and prioritizing versatility, writes Nate Taylor of The Indianapolis Star.
- ESPN’s Chad Ford (Insider-only link) has revealed his final big board for the 2016 draft, which has Kris Dunn supplanting Jamal Murray at No. 3, and Marquese Chriss cracking the top five.
- The NBA has announced 19 Green Room invitees for the 2016 draft, as Adam Zagoria of SNY.tv details. The list of prospects who will be in attendance on Thursday night includes the usual suspects, such as Simmons and Ingram, but also features a handful of names further down on draft boards, including Timothe Luwawu, Malik Beasley, and Denzel Valentine.
Richard Jefferson To Retire?
WEDNESDAY, 11:01am: Jefferson has backtracked a little on his initial announcement, suggesting that he hasn’t totally finalized his decision to retire. As Kurt Helin of Pro Basketball Talk outlines, Jefferson discussed his decision on The Dan Patrick Show on Wednesday.
“No, it’s is not set in stone,” Jefferson said. “My teammates, ‘Bron and those guys, keep trying to talk me out of it. They say I’m crazy if I retire, so we’ll see. It’s still up for debate.”
SUNDAY, 10:49pm: Moments after winning his first NBA championship, Cavaliers forward Richard Jefferson said he plans to retire from the league, tweets Ryan Wolstat of The Toronto Sun. “Hell of a way to go out,” the 15-year veteran said shortly after Cleveland prevailed in Game 7 of the NBA Finals.
Jefferson, who will turn 36 on Tuesday, played in 74 games for the Cavs this season, mostly in a reserve role. He averaged 5.5 points and 1.7 rebounds in 17.9 minutes per night.
Jefferson started his career in the 2001/02 season with the New Jersey Nets. He also played for the Bucks, Spurs, Warriors, Jazz and Mavericks. He signed a one-year deal with the Cavaliers in August.
“I’m done. I’m done,” Jefferson told Michael Grange of Rogers Sportsnet. “I need a cigar.” (Twitter link).
LeBron James To Return To Cavs For 2016/17
LeBron James has a player option for 2016/17, allowing him to opt out and potentially sign with another team in July. However, on the heels of leading the Cavaliers to the first championship in franchise history, James tells Joe Vardon of Cleveland.com that he doesn’t intend to leave Cleveland.
“I love it here. I love being here. I love my teammates,” James said on the day of the Cavs’ championship parade through downtown Cleveland. “Obviously my agent will take care of all the logistical things but, I’m happy. I’ve got no plans to go nowhere at this point.”
While James intends to return to the Cavaliers for next season, that doesn’t necessarily mean he’ll exercise his player option. That option is worth just over $24MM, and with the salary cap on the rise, opting out and signing a new deal with Cleveland probably makes more sense for the Finals MVP.
As James alludes to, the “logistical things” he’ll let his agent handle are somewhat complicated when taking into account Cleveland’s lack of Bird Rights for LBJ, the rising salary cap, and the looming CBA negotiations. There are a handful of possible scenarios in play for LeBron’s next contract, but if he prioritizes being able to opt out and re-up again in 2017, he likely won’t be able to earn a true max salary in 2016/17, though he’ll be able to sign for more than his player option is worth. Bobby Marks of The Vertical explains the possible scenarios for LeBron’s next contract.
Although James didn’t receive any first-place MVP votes this past season, he looked like the best player in the world during the postseason, as the Cavaliers lost just five of their 21 playoff games. In those 21 contests, LeBron averaged 26.3 points, 9.5 rebounds, and 7.6 assists in 39.1 minutes per game, along with a .525 FG%.
Hoops Rumors 2016 NBA Mock Draft
Over the past several weeks, Eddie Scarito of Hoops Rumors has been conducting a community mock draft with our readers, opening up each first-round pick to a vote. The latest results of that mock draft, which is now nearly in the books, can be found right here.
With the 2016 NBA draft right around the corner, it’s time to reveal our own mock draft. Chris Crouse and Arthur Hill of Hoops Rumors have tackled the 2016 first round, alternating picks and providing their thoughts and rationale for each selection.
Our mock draft doesn’t feature trades, and in most cases, Chris and Arthur make their case for the prospect they believe a team should pick, rather than simply trying to predict what will happen. Those factors mean that the actual draft board on Thursday night could look a whole lot different from the one we have listed below, so feel free to weigh in below in the comments section with your own thoughts, opinions, and predictions.
Here are the results of Hoops Rumors’ 2016 NBA mock draft:
1. Philadelphia 76ers: Ben Simmons, F (LSU)
CC: Simmons is the franchise player whom the Sixers have been angling for since the process began and there’s no question he should be the pick. He’s a 6’10” phenom who can handle the rock and glide up and down the court with ease, as I discussed in my Prospect Profile of the 19-year-old. Simmons should immediately contribute in Philadelphia and he’ll likely be the front-runner for the Rookie of the Year award.
2. Los Angeles Lakers: Brandon Ingram, SF (Duke)
AH: With Simmons gone, this is an easy choice for L.A. The Lakers may prefer to trade the pick to speed up the rebuilding process, but if they hold onto it, Ingram is a perfect fit with their young core. The 6’9″ forward is a born scorer who averaged 17.3 points per game and shot 41% from 3-point range in his single season at Duke. He may be more ready for the NBA game right away than Simmons is and will certainly be a Rookie of the Year candidate.
Manu Ginobili Declines Player Option
9:43am: In his full story on Ginobili’s decision, Charania writes that the veteran Spur is leaning toward re-signing with San Antonio for at least one more season.
9:33am: Veteran guard Manu Ginobili is the latest player to decline a player option for 2016/17, opting not to pick up his $2.94MM option for next season, according to Shams Charania of The Vertical (Twitter link). ESPN’s Marc Stein first reported (via Twitter) that Ginobili was expected to head to free agency, as he continues to weigh his options.
While Ginobili will become a free agent, that doesn’t necessarily mean he’ll leave San Antonio, or even that he’ll continue his NBA career. Ginobili and the Spurs may ultimately work out a deal that allows him to return for another season, but it doesn’t sound like the 38-year-old has made a decision yet on whether to keep playing or retire.
The longtime Spur did show signs of slowing down in 2015/16, his 14th season in San Antonio. He played fewer than 20 minutes per game for the first time in his NBA career, and scored just 9.6 points per contest, his lowest mark since his rookie year. Still, while Ginobili’s role has been reduced, he continued to be reasonably effective when he did play — his 2015/16 shooting percentages (.453 FG%, .391 3PT%) were slightly better than his career averages.
The Spurs are expected to make a run at Kevin Durant this summer, and could take a look at some other top-tier free agents, but the looming decisions for Ginobili and Tim Duncan, who also has a player option for 2016/17, may have an impact on their offseason approach. Assuming both players want to continue their careers, it’s hard to imagine the Spurs not welcoming them back.



