Odds & Ends: Lee, SportVU, Ellis, Frye, Bynum
We took note earlier today of David Lee's comments to Marcus Thompson II of the Bay Area News Group about his worse-than-imagined hip injury, and in an updated version of the story, Thompson passes along more from the power forward. Lee said he didn't catch wind about a rumored swap involving him and LaMarcus Aldridge until the Warriors called him to say there was no deal, and Lee also chimes in on the emergence of Golden State as a free agent destination.
"We still have a long way to go," he said. "But if you looked at where we came from three years ago, some of the questions were, 'Why would you come here? They've had one playoff team in the last 150 years.' … Looking where we are now and having these conversations, its very exciting."
Here's more from the Association:
- The NBA will officially announce Thursday an agreement that will place STATS SportVU cameras in each arena, according to Grantland's Zach Lowe, who reported two weeks ago that a tentative agreement was in place. Lowe examines the technology's impact on referees, contract negotiations, the player's union and other facets of the game in his latest piece.
- Monta Ellis tells Cash Sirois of 1310 The Ticket in Dallas that he was "miserable" during the past several seasons and calls his opportunity with the Mavs "a breath of fresh air." (Twitter links).
- Insurance covered Channing Frye's $6MM salary for the Suns last year while he was out with an enlarged heart, notes Paul Coro of the Arizona Republic. Frye, who's due $6.4MM this year, says he's ready to return to action and is awaiting team approval to do so.
- Both Andrew Bynum and the Cavs paint a sunny picture of his recovery from last year's knee injuries, but the team isn't setting a timetable for his return to action, as The Plain Dealer's Mary Schmitt Boyer observes.
- J.A. Adande of ESPN.com calls on incoming commissioner Adam Silver to take a tough stance on criminal behavior in the wake of legal issues for several players and Hawks coach Mike Budenholzer this offseason.
Latest On Magic, Romero Osby
A report earlier today indicated that the Magic were close to losing their rights to second-round draft pick Romero Osby, but the team has offered Osby a deal in advance of Friday's deadline for them to do so, HoopsWorld's Steve Kyler tweets. That echoes what Brian Schmitz of the Orlando Sentinel wrote this weekend about the Magic's plan to bring Osby aboard. Teams have until September 6th each year to make an offer of at least the rookie minimum salary to their second-round picks from the June draft. Otherwise, the players become free agents. Osby and the Magic will likely reach agreement on a contract at some point soon, according to Kyler, who adds that both sides have interest in getting a deal done (Twitter links).
The Magic drafted Osby 51st overall out of the University of Oklahoma. The 6'7" 23-year-old played out of position for the Sooners, and that hurt his draft stock, Kyler says (on Twitter). He averaged 16.0 points and 7.0 rebounds in his senior year, and he put up 11.0 PPG and 4.4 RPG in 21.1 minutes per contest with the Magic's summer league team.
Orlando has 14 players under contract, but only 12 of those deals are fully guaranteed, so it seems like there's plenty of room for Osby, even given the team's apparent interest in Devin Ebanks. The Magic would lose Osby's rights if they bring him to training camp and cut him, so if they sign him, he'll likely remain with the team into the regular season.
International Notes: Richards, Marshall, Caracter
Just as the NBA's free agent frenzy is largely behind us, most significant international signings have already taken place as well. Still, there are a few players and teams making news overseas, and Mark Porcaro of Secret Rival has the latest:
- Spurs "draft-and-stash" player Ryan Richards has signed to play for Al Nasr Dubai in the United Arab Emirates, Porcaro tweets. San Antonio retains the British-born forward/center's NBA rights should he come stateside at some point.
- Zeke Marshall played for the Sixers in summer league after going undrafted this June, but he'll be headed overseas for the season. He's joining Slask Wroclaw of Poland, which released Derrick Caracter just a week or so after finalizing a deal with the former Lakers big man (Twitter link). Caracter's knee and shoulder issues prompted the team to cut ties, according to Porcaro.
- Julian Wright was a lottery pick in 2007, but he hasn't played in the NBA since 2010/11, and it looks like a return to the Association isn't in the cards right now. He's signed with Krasnye Krylya in Russia (Twitter link).
Magic, Mavs, Hawks Eyeing Devin Ebanks
HoopsWorld's Alex Kennedy reported more than a month ago that four clubs had interest in former Laker Devin Ebanks, and while three of them appear to have dropped out of the running, two more have joined the pursuit. The Magic, Mavericks and Hawks have expressed interest in Ebanks, Kennedy tweets this evening. Atlanta is the only team repeated from the late July report that also named the Bucks and Bobcats.
Ebanks has spent his entire three-year career with the Lakers, who drafted him 43rd overall in 2010. The team initially gave him a two-year contract, so he was up for restricted free agency last summer and wound up signing his qualifying offer. The Lakers decided against extending a QO this time around, making him an unrestricted free agent. The team hasn't been linked to him since, so it appears he won't be back in purple and gold.
The former West Virginia Mountaineer enjoyed his best pro season in 2011/12, when he began the year as the starting small forward for the Lakers. That assignment didn't last, and he's otherwise struggled to find playing time, averaging 11.3 minutes per game for his career. Still, he's only appeared in nine D-League contests, and the Lakers didn't assign him to the L.A. D-Fenders, their affiliate, at all last season.
The Mavs have 15 players, all of whom are on guaranteed contracts, while the Hawks and Magic have fewer than 15 guaranteed deals, as our roster counts show. That may give Atlanta and Orlando an edge for the David Bauman client.
Western Rumors: Odom, Wolves, Kings, Lee, Mavs
Jordan Farmar tells Dave McMenamin of ESPNLosAngeles.com that he and other former teammates of Lamar Odom haven't heard back from the free agent forward amid ominous reports about his off-court issues. McMenamin also shares reflections on Odom from other current and former Lakers figures, and the scribe finishes with a touching personal anecdote about his interaction with the forward. Of course, Odom isn't the only NBA player dealing with trouble these days. About half of Hoops Rumors readers believe Michael Beasley is worth a look from their favorite teams, so perhaps there's a chance Odom can make it back to the NBA. Here's more from around the Western Conference:
- Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor tells Darren Wolfson of 1500 ESPN Twin Cities (Twitter link) that the club doesn't have any interest in bringing in a veteran free agent as a 15th man, preferring to keep that last roster spot open for a young player.
- A labor agreement for the construction of a new Kings arena in Sacramento was announced today, as expected, but the head of a group that opposes such agreements says they may donate to the same anti-arena petition effort that Seattle investor Chris Hansen funded. Ryan Lillis and Dale Kasler of The Sacramento Bee have the details.
- David Lee's offseason hip surgery revealed the injury he suffered in the playoffs was even worse than previously thought, but he's already back to 100% and working out with most of his Warriors teammates, as Marcus Thompson II of the Bay Area News Group reports.
- The Mavericks have hired Wizards scout Mike Wilson in a player personnel role, tweets Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports.
- We rounded up a few items from the Pacific Division earlier today.
L.A. Rumors: Amundson, Kelly, Beasley, Nelson
The Clippers may have caught and passed the Lakers in terms of on-court quality over the past couple of seasons, but that change certainly hasn't been reflected on social media. The Lakers are the most significant presence in social media among the 30 NBA teams, while the Clippers rank last, according to an Emory University study. Of course, the worlds of Facebook and Twitter move swiftly, so the gap between L.A.'s teams might not endure another disappointing season for the Lakers juxtaposed with deep playoff run for the Clips.
As we wait to see how that develops, follow Hoops Rumors on Facebook and Twitter, and catch up with the latest from the City of Angels:
- The Clippers and Lakers are still interested in Lou Amundson, who plans to strike a deal with a team within the week, agent Mark Bartelstein tells Mark Medina of the Los Angeles Daily News. Amundson met with both L.A. clubs recently, and he also worked out for them, Medina writes.
- The Lakers doubt that Ryan Kelly, this year's 48th overall pick, will be healthy to start the season, so that would make Michael Beasley a wise pickup for the purple-and-gold, writes Dave McMenamin of ESPNLosAngeles.com.
- HoopsWorld's Steve Kyler isn't so sure, pointing out that the Lakers would have to shell out tax money in addition to Beasley's salary if he joined the team (Twitter link).
- Former UCLA Bruin Reeves Nelson spent training camp with the Lakers last year, but he's excited to be with the Sixers' D-League affiliate for now, agent Mark MacGillivray tells Jake Pavorsky of SB Nation.
Extension Candidate: Greivis Vasquez
Marc Stein of ESPN.com last week tweeted a list of players whom GMs see as legitimate candidates for rookie-scale extensions, and perhaps the most surprising name on it is Greivis Vasquez. He was the runner-up in Most Improved Player of the Year balloting and finished third in assists per game in his first year as a full-time point guard last season, but there are many who don't view him as a budding star. Pelicans GM Dell Demps and the rest of the team's front office apparently don't, since they gave up Nerlens Noel and a 2014 first-rounder to replace Vasquez at the point with Jrue Holiday, then shipped the former Maryland Terrapin to the Kings as part of the Tyreke Evans sign-and-trade.
Holiday scored more often last season, but he did so on a greater number of shot attempts, and he and Vasquez had nearly an identical field goal percentage. Holiday had the edge on three-point percentage, while Vasquez averaged one more assist per game. The most significant difference between the two players is probably their contracts; Holiday is entering the first season of a four-year, $41MM extension, while Vasquez has one more year left on his rookie deal. The Kings point guard probably has less room for improvement, since he's about two and a half years older, but the fact that the Pelicans gave up so much in the swap with Philadelphia indicates that they strongly believe the former Sixer is the better value. In any case, it seems unlikely that Sacramento GM Pete D'Alessandro and agent Arn Tellem, who reps Vasquez, work out a deal that pays as much as Holiday's does.
The strongest argument against a lucrative investment in Vasquez is his defense. The Pelicans (then Hornets) were woeful at stopping other teams with him in the lineup last season, giving up 108.8 points per 100 possessions, a mark that would have been worse than every other team in the league except the Bobcats if the number were extrapolated. New Orleans checked in at 28th in that category anyway, but when Vasquez went to the bench, the team only gave up 104.5 points per 100 possessions, a mark better than nine teams.
Sandwiched between New Orleans and Charlotte in that category last year was Sacramento, so there won't be much surrounding Vasquez to make up for his defensive shortcomings. The Kings also added Luc Mbah a Moute this summer, but they're going to need a lot more than that to improve on defensive. Complicating matters is that Sacramento's other rookie-scale extension candidate, Demarcus Cousins, was an even worse sieve last season, as the Kings gave up 109.5 points per 100 possessions with him on the court. It's hard to envision Sacramento having much success with a pair of defensive liabilities tied to long-term deals for major money, so unless D'Alessandro and company envision a major improvement for one or both of them, the Kings probably won't hand out extensions to more than one of them.
Cousins would probably be the team's first choice based on physical talent alone, but if the Kings don't feel like he can overcome his mental lapses, Vasquez offers some intriguing offensive value. The native of Venezuela improved his shot selection this past season, ditching midrange attempts for shots at the rim and behind the three-point arc. He's gradually built himself into a competent three-point shooter, improving from 29.1% accuracy as a rookie to 34.2% last year. His assist percentage, an estimate of the share of his teammate's shots that he assisted upon, trailed only Chris Paul, per Basketball-Reference. Many of Vasquez's assists came courtesy of his 6'6" height, which allows him to make passes other point guards can't, as Grantland's Zach Lowe pointed out this summer.
The Kings have had a revolving door at point guard the past few seasons, and ostensibly Vasquez brings some stability to the position. Isaiah Thomas is entering a walk year, and Jimmer Fredette keeping popping up in trade rumors. Still, D'Alessandro may want to see what he has in those two guys before he locks himself into Vasquez for years to come. Point guard might be a relatively weak position in the upcoming draft class, with only four point men listed among Jonathan Givony's top 25 prospects at DraftExpress (and that includes Dante Exum, who might not be part of the field), but the NBA is crowded with talented one-guards these days.
Vasquez may be willing to capitalize on his success last year and take a steep discount, perhaps opening himself up to an extension worth less than $8MM a year, which was the cheapest average annual value among the extensions signed last offseason. Even so, the Kings are probably better off taking a pass, and seeing whether their new point guard can help them creep up from the dregs of the Western Conference, or if Thomas or Fredette can have third-year breakthroughs similar to the one Vasquez had in 2012/13.
Lakers Sign Shawne Williams
SEPTEMBER 3RD: The Lakers finally made the signing official, as Mike Trudell of Lakers.com passes the news along via Twitter.
JULY 19TH: The Lakers and Shawne Williams have reached agreement on deal that will bring the veteran forward to training camp, tweets Ian Begley of ESPNNewYork.com. The wording of Begley's tweet indicates that it's just a camp invitation, which would mean a one-year, minimum-salary deal with no guarantee, but the precise terms of the arrangement are unclear.
Marc Berman of the New York Post wrote last month that Lakers coach Mike D'Antoni, who had Williams on one of his Knicks teams, wanted to work with him again, and Begley notes that D'Antoni regards the 27-year-old highly. Williams reportedly worked out for the Lakers and several other teams this summer, including the Knicks. Agent Happy Walters said in June that Williams "loved his time" with New York but would make playing time a priority when he chose his next team.
The University of Memphis product has spent parts of five seasons in the NBA, last appearing with the Nets in 2011/12. He averaged double-digit minutes all five years, but he's put up just 5.7 points per game for his career.
Southwest Rumors: McGrady, Hamilton, Covington
- Richard Hamilton is probably looking at no better than the minimum salary, but the Rockets, as well as the Knicks, are among teams that may have interest in the former Bull, tweets Sam Amico of Fox Sports Ohio.
- Undrafted small forward Robert Covington scored a full guarantee on the first year of his three-year deal with the Rockets, per Mark Deeks of ShamSports, and the former Tennessee State Tiger tells Jason Friedman of Rockets.com about what set him apart in summer league, his relationship with James Harden, and more.
- HoopsWorld's Yannis Koutroupis names ex-Grizzlies coach Lionel Hollins first on his list former NBA coaches likely to receive an offer the next time an opening emerges. Hollins beat out reigning Coach of the Year George Karl, who'd prefer to take a job with a Western Conference contender.
Comparing Salaries For No. 2 Overall Picks
Michael Beasley's buyout from the Suns is garnering plenty of attention today, but he's not the only former No. 2 overall pick in the news. We just passed along a report that 1999 No. 2 pick Mike Bibby will work out for the Spurs, and earlier today, Luke Adams of Hoops Rumors weighed the chances that Hasheem Thabeet, the second pick from 2009, will remain on his non-guaranteed contract with the Thunder. LaMarcus Aldridge spoke this weekend about trade rumors that have surrounded him for much of the summer. And Wolves president of basketball operations Flip Saunders said Friday that the team isn't sure it will pick up Derrick Williams' 2014/15 option by this year's October 31st deadline.
It's just the latest during an offseason in which several former No. 2 overall picks have made headlines. Jason Kidd retired as a player and took over as coach of the Nets, while Marcus Camby, his teammate on the Knicks last year, was traded to the Raptors, arranged for a buyout, and signed with the Rockets. Even Kevin Durant, who's locked into a long-term deal, drew mention as the league decided to reimburse the Thunder for a portion of his contract.
Last month, I looked at the salaries for each No. 1 overall pick since 1996, and with so much noise surrounding the guys taken second, let's see how they stack up. Durant, naturally, is the highest-paid No. 2 pick, followed by three players making between $14MM and $15MM this season — Aldridge, Emeka Okafor and Tyson Chandler. Camby is the only former second overall pick making the minimum salary this year, but a half dozen who've come into the league since 1996 are without NBA playing contracts, and most of those six have been out of the league for some time. Steve Francis and Stromile Swift were back-to-back No. 2 picks who wound up in China about 10 years into their pro careers.
Here's the complete list of 2013/14 playing salaries for No. 2 overall picks since 1996:
- 2013: Victor Oladipo, $4,763,760
- 2012: Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, $4,809,840
- 2011: Derrick Williams, $5,016,960
- 2010: Evan Turner, $6,679,867 — second highest-paid player on the Sixers, behind Thaddeus Young
- 2009: Hasheem Thabeet, $1,200,000 (Only $500K guaranteed)
- 2008: Michael Beasley, $4,670,000 (Reduced from $6MM per buyout agreement)
- 2007: Kevin Durant, $17,832,627
- 2006: LaMarcus Aldridge, $14,878,000
- 2005: Marvin Williams, $7,500,000
- 2004: Emeka Okafor, $14,487,500
- 2003: Darko Milicic, $0 — Likely retired from the NBA
- 2002: Jay Williams, $0 — Retired
- 2001: Tyson Chandler, $14,100,538
- 2000: Stromile Swift, $0 — Hasn't played in the NBA since 2008/09. Last played in China in 2009/10.
- 1999: Steve Francis, $0 — Hasn't played in the NBA since 2007/08. Last played in China in 2010/11.
- 1998: Mike Bibby, $0
- 1997: Keith Van Horn, $0 — Retired
- 1996: Marcus Camby, $1,399,507
ShamSports was used in the creation of this post.
