Atlantic Notes: Anthony, Porzingis, Thomas, Celtics
In a blog post for MSG.com, Knicks president Steve Mills discussed the team’s future and plan for the upcoming season. Mills mentioned Kristaps Porzingis, Willy Hernangomez, offseason signee Tim Hardaway Jr., and this year’s first-rounder Frank Ntilikina but conspicuous by the absence of his name is Carmelo Anthony.
Mills said in the post that the “plan to become more youthful and athletic is underway” before mentioning the Knicks’ young assets. This comes shortly after the Knicks released promotional content for their season ticket plans with the featured players being Porzingis, Hernangomez, and Ntilikina. Even though Anthony is still a member of New York’s roster, the team appears to be showing through subliminal signs that the team has moved on from their superstar.
Trade talks regarding Anthony to the Rockets are “fairly dormant” and the Cavaliers are possibly interested in his services; however, a trade is not imminent. While it’s possible that Anthony begins the season with the Knicks, he is not expected to remain with the team for the remainder of his contract.
Read below for additional news tidbits around the Atlantic Division:
- While Porzingis has been absent from Team Latvia, the Knicks’ big man remains committed to the team for Eurobasket, according to basketball journalist David Pick (Twitter Link).
- Speaking to reporters, including ESPN’s Chris Forsberg, from the Basketball Hall of Fame Friday, Celtics head coach Brad Stevens discussed the team trading away Isaiah Thomas. “What [Thomas] did in Boston the last two-and a-half years has been incredible,’ Stevens said. “I said earlier what he’s meant to me, what I think of him, how great he’s been in the locker room, what kind of teammate he’s been.” While the trade is currently complicated by Thomas’ troubled hip, Stevens was complimentary of the player who helped lead his team to the Eastern Conference Finals last season.
- Steve Bulpett of the Boston Herald joined CSN New England to discuss the Thomas trade — which is currently in danger of being nixed due to his hip injury — and said that the organization owes thanks to him. Thomas emerged into one of the league’s top players while in Boston and Bulpett also covers the effort that the former last pick of the 2011 draft put in to help the team.
Cavs Weighing Options Following Thomas Physical
10:55pm: Adam Himmelsbach of the Boston Globe tweets that a source close to him said the Cavs and Celtics would attempt a renegotiation before rescinding the deal, should it ultimately reach that point.
10:13 pm: Following the results of Isaiah Thomas‘ physical, the Cavaliers are “weighing their options” with completion of the Kyrie Irving trade, Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN tweets.
Earlier this week, the Cavs and Celtics agreed to swap Irving for a package involving Thomas, despite the fact that the C’s guard was forced out of last spring’s postseason with a hip injury.
As is customary, the trade is contingent upon players passing physicals with their new teams and it’s here where things appear to be hitting a possible snag.
Per Celtics executive Mike Zarren in a question and answer on Boston’s official site: “A trade is not officially complete, and no player may suit up for his new team in a game or practice, until all players report to their new teams and pass a physical exam.”
Wojnarowski adds in another tweet that a source involved in the process says that the C’s and Cavs have found themselves in a “very sensitive situation.”
In a feature published earlier today, Bleacher Report’s Ric Bucher discussed the lingering impacts of Thomas’ hip injury. In July, the guard opted to let the injury heal without surgery but uncertainty about his recovery remains.
“We all have the numbers when a guy gets hip surgery,” a league executive told Bucher. “They’re not good. Now what if he’s not right and needs surgery anyway? That is not nearly the same trade.“
And-Ones: G League Expansion, Mayo, Van Gundy
The G League held its expansion draft to accommodate for the association’s four new franchises and Chris Reichert of 2 Ways, 10 Days has broken down the results, recapping the nuances of the developmental league’s various processes.
As Reichert lays out, teams made their bids for each player’s returning rights for a period of two seasons. What that means is that the G League clubs will effectively reserve those players should they ever find themselves back in the league. Many currently ply their trade either for NBA squads or for teams overseas.
The current NBA crop selected in the G League expansion draft is headlined by Sean Kilpatrick and Okaro White. The big league rotation players, however, are unlikely to return to the G League, at least in 2017/18, rendering them ineffective selections.
There’s more from around the NBA:
- Speaking of G League peculiarities, the Oklahoma City Blue (the G League affiliate of the Thunder) made a trade with the SLC Stars (Jazz affiliate) for the rights to Marcus Paige but, as Rick Bonnell of the Charlotte Observer explains, Paige will actually suit up for the Greensboro Swarm (Hornets affiliate). Earlier this month the Hornets signed Paige to a two-way deal and that supersedes whichever team owns his G League rights.
- With one more year left on his suspension, former Bucks guard O.J. Mayo could consider a gig in the G League, Adam Johnson of 2 Ways, 10 Days opines. There is, however, no guarantee that he would be permitted to do so.
- It’s been a decade since he coached the Rockets, which makes Jeff Van Gundy‘s return to the bench with Team USA all that much more exciting. Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN recently spoke with Van Gundy about his role with the USA Basketball World Cup qualifying team.
Pacific Notes: Knight, Clippers, Lakers
As expected, Suns guard Brandon Knight will miss the entirety of the 2017/18 NBA season. The 25-year-old underwent successful ACL surgery on Friday, Sam Amico of Amico Hoops writes, after initially tearing the ligament last month.
While Knight’s name has been a mainstay in trade rumors over the course of the past few seasons, he remains a relatively valuable reserve asset. Last year Knight posted 11.0 points per game, shy of the 15.2 point career mark he’s posted across stints with the Pistons, Bucks and Suns.
Per Amico, the Suns could look to apply for an injury exception in order to free up room for a new backcourt option behind Eric Bledsoe and Devin Booker.
There’s more from the Pacific Division:
- The Clippers have shuffled around their executive team this summer. Most recently, Brad Turner of the Los Angeles Times tweets, the Clips have named Michael Winger their new general manager and Dave Wohl (their previous GM) a special advisor to the team.
- The Suns have doubled down on their young core but aren’t exactly sure what they’re going to get out of it, Shaun Powell of NBA.com writes. The scribe also wonders if the club may have put too much stock in fourth-overall pick Josh Jackson, refusing to include him in a possible Kyrie Irving trade package.
- The Lakers had a productive summer, NBA.com’s Shaun Powell writes. The club did well to position itself for the future by scrubbing Timofey Mozgov‘s contract off their books and, of course, drafting Lonzo Ball with the No. 2 pick in the draft.
Central Notes: James, Pistons, Butler
A smattering of league executives that spoke with Bleacher Report’s Ric Bucher echo the sentiment that LeBron James will leave the Cavaliers next summer, one Eastern Conference general manager even going so far as to call it a “foregone conclusion.”
Of course just two weeks ago we wrote about how there were conflicting reports about the King’s pending free agency decision. In Bucher’s latest, however, he writes that the Kyrie Irving trade hasn’t changed James’ Cavaliers outlook in the slightest.
Between lingering injury concerns surrounding Isaiah Thomas (hip) and James’ connection to Los Angeles, Bucher makes the case that the 32-year-old Cavalier icon could west to join the Lakers. “It’s all more about life after basketball than anything else,” a source tells him.
There’s more from the Central Division:
- Would Andre Drummond, Reggie Jackson, Stanley Johnson and a first-round pick have been enough for the Pistons to land Kyrie Irving? Ansar Khan of MLive doesn’t think so. The scribe says the Celtics‘ offer would have topped Detroit’s no matter what.
- The Pacers spared no expense outfitting their new practice facility with 130,000 square feet of enticing new features, an Associated Press report says. Indiana hopes that facility can be a selling point for players and coaches.
- Former Bulls guard Jimmy Butler doesn’t regret his mid-season comments criticizing teammates, saying that the organization doesn’t make it easy for players to express themselves. “I just think they make it tough to be yourself, to be who you are and express yourself the way you want to express yourself,” he told Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times.
Northwest Notes: Jokic, Harris, Wiggins
While the addition of Paul Millsap gives the Nuggets a tantalizing frontcourt combination, the team’s duo of Nikola Jokic and Gary Harris was one of the league’s most gifted offensive pairings last season, Frank Urbina of HoopsHype writes.
While Jokic’s status as one of the league’s most prolific low-post weapons is undisputed, Urbina’s recount demonstrates exactly how the Nuggets center established himself as one of the game’s most efficienct big men.
Harris, who posted a modest but intriguing 14.9 points and 2.9 assists per game last season, has a skill set that compliments Jokic’s particularly well, as evidenced by the fact that the Nuggets boasted the league’s highest offensive rating when the relatively small sample size was prorated over the course of the full season.
For that reason, while the Nuggets will be happy to add a blue chip forward like Millsap, much of the team’s future success will likely come from the talent that they’ve built through the draft.
There’s more from the Northwest Division:
- The fact that Andrew Wiggins recently changed agents won’t impact his extension deal, Jon Krawczynski of the Associated Press tweets. CBA rules dictate that Wiggins must wait two weeks to sign the new deal after changing his representation. Some within the Timberwolves organization, Krawczynski adds in a second tweet are ‘puzzled by the timing of the move’.
- The Trail Blazers have named Jesse Elis their new director of player health and performance, Mike Richman of the Oregonian writes. Elis will replace Chris Stackpole who had held the position for the past four years.
- The Jazz have appointed Jonathan Rinehart the new team president of their G League affiliate, the Salt Lake City Stars, the team announced in a press release. Rinehart has been with the big league club for the past 12 seasons.
Nazr Mohammed: I’m Unofficially Retired
Following the 2015/16 season, Nazr Mohammed was expected to call it a career, and he did indeed sit out the 2016/17 campaign. However, the longtime NBA center never officially announced his retirement. Speaking to Kelley D. Evans of The Undefeated, Mohammed confirmed that he essentially considers himself retired, even if he never made a formal announcement.
“I realized a long time ago, seeing other friends and teammates go through it. Only the great ones actually retire. The rest of us get retired,” Mohammed said. “I don’t feel like I need to officially retire, but I am retired.
“What I mean by that is, you know, there’s always a situation you would play for, but after a year has passed, I’m not really thinking in that mindset as far as playing again,” Mohammed continued. “I’m looking more into the business of basketball. There are things I want to do as far as looking for the right situation that can teach me the business of basketball and put me in a position where I have an opportunity to learn as much as I can. My dream is to one day run my own organization, whether it’s GM or as the president of an organization. I think I can manage and help build a championship team.”
Mohammed, who will celebrate his 40th birthday next month, entered the NBA as a first-round draft pick out of Kentucky in 1998. Over the next 18 years, he appeared in more than 1,000 regular season games and another 88 postseason contests, spending time with the Sixers, Hawks, Knicks, Spurs, Pistons, Bobcats, Thunder, and Bulls.
For his career, Mohammed averaged 5.8 PPG and 4.7 RPG in 15.8 minutes per game. The 6’10” center likely experienced his best season in 2004/05 — after serving as the Knicks’ starting center for most of the year, he was traded to the Spurs in a deadline deal, and won a championship with San Antonio in ’05. Mohammed averaged 9.5 PPG and 7.6 RPG that season, and was the Spurs’ starting center throughout the playoffs.
Although Mohammed hopes to join an NBA front office at some point, he’s currently spending his time focusing on community work and fundraising, as Evans’ piece for The Undefeated details.
Celtics Notes: Bogut, Irving, J. Brown, Tatum
It has been an eventful week in Boston, with the Celtics having acquired a four-time All-Star on Tuesday, sending Isaiah Thomas, Jae Crowder, Ante Zizic, and the Nets’ 2018 first-round pick to Cleveland in exchange for Kyrie Irving. The NBA world is still buzzing about that deal, and we have a few more Celtics-related notes on the swap to pass along today:
- The Celtics aren’t in a rush to fill their newly-opened 15th roster spot, but have been in touch with a few free agents this week, including veteran center Andrew Bogut, reports Adam Himmelsbach of The Boston Globe.
- Appearing on The Bill Simmons Podcast this week, Finals MVP Kevin Durant praised Irving for standing up for himself and deciding it was time for him to move on from what seemed like a good situation in Cleveland. “He showed a lot of courage, man, because it’s hard to take that type of criticism,” said Durant (link via ESPN.com), who has some experience in that field himself.
- Durant also suggested during that podcast appearance that Irving and the Celtics will be “perfect” for each other, as DJ Bean of CSNNE.com details. “It’s a perfect fit, because he’s a 6-foot-3 Isaiah Thomas, basically,” Durant said. “And Isaiah just thrived in that system, and then he’s got Gordon Hayward and Al Horford that are going to be able to make plays for him, too. It’s going to be pretty sweet. I think it was a great deal.”
- Revisiting Danny Ainge‘s assertion that the Celtics “have a lot of good players, but need some great ones,” ESPN’s Chris Forsberg makes the case that Ainge’s willingness to roll the dice on Irving signals that the team is making good on that statement and raising the roof on its expectations for 2017/18.
- Young wings Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum may end up being the biggest winners of the Irving blockbuster, according to Benny Nadeau of Basketball Insiders, who notes that the departures of Avery Bradley and Crowder open the door for those youngsters to take on significant roles in Boston.
Clippers Sign Marshall Plumlee
AUGUST 25: Plumlee’s deal with the Clippers is now official, per RealGM’s NBA transactions log. It’s a one-year pact.
AUGUST 19: Marshall Plumlee has agreed to join the Clippers on a partially guaranteed contract, tweets Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN.
The 25-year-old center has brief NBA experience, playing 21 games with the Knicks last season and averaging 1.9 points and 2.4 rebounds in about 8 minutes per night. Undrafted out of Duke in 2016, he signed with New York as a free agent and spent most of the year in the G League.
The Knicks decided to waive him in July to create cap room to sign Tim Hardaway Jr. Plumlee received the $100K that was guaranteed on his contract for next season. New York considered trying to bring him back earlier this month, but Plumlee has opted for L.A.
The signing brings the Clippers up to 18 players in camp, with 14 having guaranteed contracts. Plumlee will try to earn a roster spot as a third center behind DeAndre Jordan and Willie Reed.
Cavs Rumors: Shumpert, Thomas, Felder, Tavares
Iman Shumpert has been the subject of trade rumors throughout the offseason, with reports dating back to June – shortly after the Cavaliers were defeated in the Finals – suggesting that the veteran swingman was on the trade block. The Raptors, Timberwolves, Lakers, and Kings were among the teams linked at one point to Shumpert, and a deal with the Rockets briefly appeared close, but ultimately fell apart.
So it’s no secret that the Cavs have explored the trade market for Shumpert, but did the team did so at his behest? Multiple sources tell Dave McMenamin of ESPN.com that Shumpert – like Kyrie Irving – requested a trade after the season. However, Shams Charania of The Vertical and Alex Kennedy of HoopsHype (Twitter links) both say otherwise, reporting that Shumpert made no such request.
It’s worth considering which sources these reporters may be talking to — McMenamin covers the Cavs on a full-time basis and he cites team sources multiple times within his piece. Meanwhile, Charania and Kennedy are national reporters, and may have a more direct line to Shumpert’s representatives, who probably don’t want to give the impression that their client is unhappy. That’s just my speculation though.
In any case, it appears that the Cavs are still weighing their trade options with Shumpert, though Kennedy suggests that the 27-year-old plans to be at a players-organized mini-camp next month.
Here’s more on the Cavs:
- A Cavaliers source tells McMenamin that the club is “not closing the door” on making more trades before training camp opens in late September.
- While it’s not out of the question that the Nets’ 2018 first-rounder will be flipped for another top player, acquiring that pick has “pumped new blood” into the Cavaliers’ scouting department, which hasn’t been very involved in the draft in recent years, McMenamin writes. Cavs scouts are enthusiastic about the idea of being able to earnestly scout top prospects in marquee college games and international tournaments, knowing one of those prospects could become a Cavalier next June.
- The Cavaliers’ medical staff is waiting to examine Isaiah Thomas, who has seven days to report to the team. The former Celtic will also pay a visit to a renowned hip specialist at the Cleveland Clinic, reports McMenamin.
- Kay Felder and Edy Tavares will likely be the odd men out on the Cavaliers’ 15-man roster if the club doesn’t make any further trades, since they don’t have fully guaranteed salaries. McMenamin suggests that Felder and Tavares could be candidates for two-way contracts, though waiving them from their current contracts would allow other NBA teams to claim or sign them.
