Marko Simonovic Likely To Sign With Bulls
Draft-and-stash prospect Marko Simonovic cannot officially sign with the Bulls until next month but it appears likely that he’ll make the jump to the NBA next season.
An Instagram post from his agent, Misko Raznatovic, displayed a picture of them sitting beside each other with the words, “One way ticket to Chicago!”
It’s uncertain what type of contract the 6’11” Simonovic will be signing with the club. The Bulls could use cap room or an exception to bring him aboard, depending on how their offseason plays out.
Selected as the No. 44 pick in 2020, the 21-year-old center played in Serbia this year for Mega Basket in the ABA Adriatic League. He averaged 15.7 PPG and 9.1 RPG in 31.6 MPG over 25 games. He shot 47.3% overall and 34.9% on his 3-point attempts.
With Daniel Theis and Cristiano Felicio entering unrestricted free agency and Lauri Markkanen headed to restricted free agency, the Bulls could have some openings in the frontcourt.
Wes Unseld Jr., Darvin Ham Leading Contenders To Become Wizards Coach
The frontrunners in the Wizards‘ search for a new head coach are Nuggets assistant Wes Unseld Jr. and Bucks assistant Darvin Ham, tweets ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski. Bucks assistant Charles Lee is also a finalist for the job, Woj adds.
All three were reported last week as moving past the first round of interviews, along with former Mavericks assistant Jamahl Mosley, who was hired as head coach of the Magic over the weekend. Washington and New Orleans are the only teams currently without a head coach.
Unseld is the sentimental choice for Wizards fans because his father was a legend in the area as a five-time All-Star with the Bullets. The younger Unseld started his coaching career with the Wizards in 2005 and spent time with the Warriors and Magic before coming to Denver.
Ham has been as assistant under Budenholzer for the past eight years in Milwaukee and Atlanta. His coaching career began with the Lakers in 2011.
The Wizards have been looking for a coach since deciding not to extend Scott Brooks‘ contract in mid-June.
Kings Unlikely To Include De’Aaron Fox In A Ben Simmons Offer
The Kings are among the “known suitors” who would like to get Ben Simmons from the Sixers, but they aren’t likely to part with De’Aaron Fox, sources tell Jason Anderson of The Sacramento Bee.
Numerous reports have stated that Philadelphia is putting a high asking price on Simmons and is hoping to get an All-Star player in return. Fox hasn’t been an All-Star yet, but he has been extremely productive in his first four NBA seasons and is part of the young foundation in Sacramento. He averaged 25.2 points, 3.5 rebounds and 7.2 assists in 58 games this year while shooting 47.7% from the field and 32.2% from three-point range. He’s also under contract for the next five years.
Anderson states that the Kings are more likely to offer a package that includes shooting guard Buddy Hield, power forward Marvin Bagley III, and multiple future first-round picks. A league source told Anderson that Sacramento would have to give up at least three first-rounders to make the deal work, while another source said the Sixers wouldn’t have any interest unless Fox or rookie guard Tyrese Haliburton is part of the offer.
Hield would fill a need for the Sixers, who ranked 23rd in the league in made three-pointers this season, Anderson notes. He’s a career 40.6% shooter from beyond the arc and holds the league record for most three-pointers made in his first five seasons.
Bagley is a talented young player who so far is best known for being selected ahead of Luka Doncic and Trae Young in the 2018 draft. He has missed a combined 108 games due to injury in first three NBA seasons and has been part of public disputes with the Kings about playing time and his future with the organization.
Assessing The Recovery Timeline For Kawhi Leonard
Kawhi Leonard will miss at least part of next season after having surgery Tuesday to fix a partial ACL tear in his right knee, and the length of his recovery process will determine what the future looks like for the Clippers.
Leonard suffered a Grade II tear, which falls between a best-case and worst-case scenario, according to Law Murray of The Athletic. The injury is similar to what Nets guard Spencer Dinwiddie had in December, and although Dinwiddie talked about returning before the end of the season, he never made it back.
Dinwiddie was cleared for basketball activities in June, and Murray notes that a similar timeline would have Leonard ready sometime in January, meaning he would miss roughly half the season. However, it’s more likely that he will need about nine months, which means he would be ready sometime around the start of the playoffs.
It’s very possible that Leonard will sit out the entire season, Murray adds. He has a history of leg injuries, and the Clippers may decide to be cautious with one of their franchise cornerstones.
Mirjam Swanson of The Orange County Register talked to Dr. Alan Beyer, executive medical director at Hoag Orthopedic Institute in Irvine, California, who confirms an absence of about nine months is the most likely outcome.
“We don’t have long-term data on some of the bridging partial ACL tear procedures, so I can’t say to you, ‘That’s all he needed, he’ll be fine,’” Beyer said. “The only difference is you haven’t sacrificed any of the athlete’s own tissues – quad, patellar, hamstring – but you have added this scaffolding or bridge, and that goes through a period of time when it might be a little bit weaker because it has to get vascularized. And that might take a year, and I might go slower on rehabilitating a partial ACL construction.”
The surgery comes at a crucial time for Leonard, who has a $36MM player option for next season. ESPN’s Kevin Pelton notes that Leonard could opt out and re-sign with the Clippers, which would add $3.3MM to his salary for next year and give him three more guaranteed seasons after that. He could also pick up the option and become eligible for an extension, which would run through 2025/26, when his salary would be $50.2MM.
The Clippers were able to advance to the Western Conference finals after Leonard’s injury, but they were barely better than a .500 team when he missed games during the regular season. It will be expensive just to keep the current roster together, Pelton notes, as Reggie Jackson will be a free agent and the team only has Early Bird rights to try to re-sign him. Nicolas Batum is also headed to free agency, and L.A. would have to use part of its mid-level exception to make more than an offer worth much more than the minimum.
Kawhi Leonard Undergoes Knee Surgery
Clippers star Kawhi Leonard underwent successful surgery today to repair a partial tear of his right ACL, per a Clippers press release.
There is no timetable for Leonard’s return, according to the team. However, the diagnosis suggests that his recovery could extend into the 2021/22 season.
Leonard only managed to play in four games during the Clippers’ second-round series against the Jazz before being sidelined with the knee injury that kept him on the shelf for the entire Western Finals vs. Phoenix. He had previously dealt with lingering leg injuries, including the mysterious quad injury that effectively ended his time with the Spurs.
The two-time Defensive Player of the Year and two-time Finals MVP has a player option to return to the Clippers next season, or he can decline the option and become an unrestricted free agent. He has long been expected to take the latter route, if only to sign a new contract with Los Angeles, since he’ll be eligible for a higher maximum salary this offseason.
Sixers Have Engaged In Ben Simmons Trade Talks
1:07pm: In addition to Indiana and Minnesota, the Cavaliers and Kings are “known suitors” for Simmons, according to Marc Stein, who says the Raptors are also believed to have expressed interest.
9:42am: The Sixers have opened up discussions about a possible Ben Simmons trade and have engaged with teams, reports Shams Charania of The Athletic.
Following a disappointing postseason, there was a sense that Simmons’ value around the NBA may have dipped. However, sources tell Charania that the 76ers’ asking price in their trade talks has been high.
“(They) want an All-Star-caliber player in return,” one source told The Athletic.
Simmons’ reluctance to shoot and his struggles at the free throw line in the second round of the playoffs played a part in the Sixers getting eliminated earlier than expected by Atlanta.
However, the former No. 1 overall pick has a strong NBA résumé, including three All-Star berths and a runner-up finish in this year’s Defensive Player of the Year voting. He’ll be entering his age-25 season and is under contract for four more years — as Charania notes, that kind of team control is rare for a star player on the trade market. Leaguewide interest in Simmons continues to be “robust,” per The Athletic.
According to reports in recent weeks, the Timberwolves are among the teams expected to pursue Simmons, and the Pacers are believed to have made a trade offer.
The Sixers have suggested both publicly and privately that they’re comfortable working with Simmons on his shot this offseason and bringing him back in the fall. While that may be posturing, the team’s high asking price in talks so far indicates that president of basketball operations Daryl Morey won’t be looking to sell off the three-time All-Star at a discount rate.
For what it’s worth, Charania says Simmons appears to be exhibiting a “renewed determination” to improve and expand his game this summer. Whether he’ll play his next game as a member of the Sixers or another franchise remains to be seen.
Pelicans Unlikely To Match Significant Offer For Lonzo Ball?
The Pelicans are unlikely to match a significant offer sheet for Lonzo Ball in restricted free agency this summer, according to Shams Charania of The Athletic.
Charania doesn’t clarify what would constitute a “significant” offer, but Ball’s market could be in the range of the four-year, $85MM deals signed by point guards Malcolm Brogdon and Fred VanVleet in recent years. Ball would be doing well to land a contract that matches or exceeds those deals.
The 23-year-old, who began his career with the Lakers, had perhaps his best NBA season in 2020/21, establishing new career highs in PPG (14.6), FG% (.414), and 3PT% (.378). He also chipped in 5.7 APG and 4.8 RPG in 55 games (31.8 MPG).
Star forwards Zion Williamson and Brandon Ingram have both spoken in favor of the Pelicans re-signing Ball, and the team will have the ability to match any offer sheet extended by a rival suitor. But it’s unclear just how committed New Orleans is to the former No. 2 overall pick, especially given the club’s cap situation.
Substantial investments in Ball and fellow restricted free agent Josh Hart would likely push the Pelicans into tax territory unless the club cuts costs by trading away a contract like Steven Adams‘ or Eric Bledsoe‘s. The team has never paid the luxury tax before. And while that doesn’t necessarily mean ownership wouldn’t sign off on a tax bill going forward, it would be a tough sell for a roster that hasn’t made the playoffs since 2018.
The Bulls and Clippers are among the teams expected to express interest in Ball, sources tell Charania. The Knicks have also been mentioned as a possible suitor, though Ian Begley of SNY.tv has reported there are mixed opinions on the point guard among New York’s decision-makers.
Knicks Showing Interest In Collin Sexton
The Knicks have been the most aggressive trade suitor for Cavaliers guard Collin Sexton so far, sources tell Shams Charania of The Athletic.
Sexton, who is entering the final year of his rookie contract and is eligible for a rookie scale extension this offseason, has been the subject of multiple trade rumors within the last month, with the latest one over the weekend suggesting he’s “very available.”
The Knicks have a surplus of future first-round picks – including the Nos. 19 and 21 selections in this year’s draft – at their disposal and remain in the market for a long-term answer at point guard, though it’s unclear if Sexton is capable of being that answer.
The 6’1″ guard is undoubtedly a talented scorer, having averaged a career-best 24.3 points per game on .475/.371/.815 shooting in 60 games (35.3 MPG) in 2020/21. However, he’s not exactly a traditional point guard — facilitating for teammates isn’t one of his strengths, and Darius Garland has assumed primary point guard duties in Cleveland over the last couple years.
Sexton also isn’t an above-average defender, so he’d probably need to be paired with a backcourt partner capable of handling the tougher assignments.
Still, NBA players capable of efficiently averaging 24+ points per night are rare, so if the price is right (in terms of both the trade return and his next contract), Sexton could be a worthwhile investment for the Knicks or another team.
Australian League Coach Trevor Gleeson To Join Raptors As Assistant
Raptors head coach Nick Nurse will be adding former Perth Wildcats head coach Trevor Gleeson to his bench for the 2021/22 season, tweets Marc Stein.
As Stein notes, Gleeson led the Wildcats to five National Basketball League championships in 2014, 2016, 2017, 2019, and 2020. Gleeson is the reigning NBL Coach of the Year for the 2020/21 season. Gleeson asked to be released from the final year of his contract with Perth this weekend in order to pursue an NBA opportunity, per a team press statement.
Gleeson led the club to a 171-99 record during his eight seasons with Perth. The Wildcats made it to the championship round again this year, but lost to Melbourne United.
Nurse has been the head man in Toronto since the team’s championship 2018/19 season. He inked a multiyear extension with the club ahead of the 2020/21 season that is set to take him through at least 2024. The Raptors have a 226-138 record under Nurse.
Josh Lewenberg of TSN tweets that Nurse appreciates assistants with head coaching track records, which may have added to Gleeson’s appeal. Lewenberg adds (Twitter link) that Gleeson also served as a basketball coach in Korea and the NBA G League, and moonlit as an Australian rules football coach.
Terence Davis To Seek $9MM Per Year As RFA?
Kings guard Terence Davis won’t accept his modest $1.9MM qualifying offer in free agency this offseason, according to Jason Anderson of The Sacramento Bee, who reports that Davis is expected to seek a new contract worth in the neighborhood of $9MM annually.
Davis, who signed with the Raptors as an undrafted free agent in 2019, earned a spot on the All-Rookie Second Team a year ago, then was traded to the Kings at the 2021 trade deadline. He played some of the best basketball of his career down the stretch in Sacramento, averaging 11.1 points, 3.3 rebounds, and 1.7 assists per game on .439/.372/.784 shooting in 27 games (21.5 MPG).
Near the end of the season, Davis spoke about a desire to re-sign with the Kings, and the team will have the ability to match any offer he receives, since he’ll be a restricted free agent.
Anderson likens Davis’ situation to that of Grizzlies guard De’Anthony Melton, who reached restricted free agency in 2020 after two NBA seasons. Melton – whose offensive numbers weren’t as strong as Davis’ but whose reputation as a defender is stronger – signed a four-year contract worth just shy of $35MM, without a full guarantee on the fourth year. Based on Anderson’s report, Davis will be looking to match or top that deal.
Although the Kings don’t hold Davis’ full Bird rights, they’ll have his Early Bird rights, giving them the ability to sign him directly to a new contract or to match any offer sheet he signs with another team.
A rival suitor could put pressure on Sacramento by backloading a three- or four-year offer via the Gilbert Arenas provision. However, I’d be surprised if bidding on Davis is that competitive — his track record is limited and the domestic assault allegations he faced earlier in his career may make teams wary of investing significantly in the 24-year-old.
