Dallas Morning News writer Eddie Sefko conducted a chat with readers today covering all things Mavericks. Here are the highlights:
- Sefko says he asked Mark Cuban if the team ever made a run at J.R. Smith. Cuban responded, "No offense to J.R., but we weren't interested."
- He believes Dallas is the number one destination for Nets guard Deron Williams, adding that "it wouldn't surprise" him if the team adds both Williams and Dwight Howard.
- Despite Lamar Odom's poor play throughout the season, Sefko doesn't believe he will be traded because of his valuable contract situation.
- Regarding the consistent play of Vince Carter and Delonte West (before his finger injury), Sefko says no Maverick will receive a new deal this summer until situations are resolved with Dwight Howard and Deron Williams.
- The team's most likely trade candidates are Brendan Haywood, Shawn Marion, Rodrigue Beaubois, and Dominique Jones because all have contracts running beyond this season. Sefko also reiterated that he's heard whispers of Beaubois being on the trade block, but that they'd only deal him if no guaranteed money beyond this season were coming back.