On the speculation that Dwight Howard could be the determining factor with regard to his job security, coach Stan Van Gundy was forthright: "If they want to fire me to please somebody, fire me," later adding, "our job, my job is to focus on the basketball." Regardless of what happens before the deadline, the Magic coach will be able to put the trade speculation aside by the time Friday hits. Here are some other notes worth looking at from around the league:
- The Spurs may be looking into the trade market for a point guard, according to Yannis Koutroupis of HoopsWorld.
- Tony Parker spoke about his desire for Boris Diaw to join him in San Antonio should he be granted a buyout from the Bobcats. Interestingly enough, Parker referred to the Knicks as another team that is interested in Diaw.
- Center Chris Kaman says he feels comfortable with his role in New Orleans and would hope to stay with the Hornets, writes Jimmy Smith of The Times-Picayune.
- Lakers rookie Darius Morris suffered a bruised wrist during a game in the D-League and will be day-to-day, says Mike Bresnahan of The Los Angeles Times. (Twitter link)
- Greg Oden appears to be preparing to move on from the Trail Blazers. According to Chris Haynes of CSNNW.com, a source close to the situation has said that Oden is in the process of selling his home in Portland and has no intention of returning to the team next season.