Plenty of the bigger names among this year's free agent class are in their 30s, and it's that over-30 group that ESPN.com's Ric Bucher focuses on in his latest Insider piece. Bucher spoke to GMs, scouts, and personnel experts that gave him feedback on this summer's free agents, including tidbits on Steve Nash, Kevin Garnett, Jameer Nelson, and plenty more. Here are a few highlights:
- The Suns, Blazers, and Raptors are expected to be the top suitors for Nash, with the Nets lurking as a wild card if they can't re-sign Deron Williams.
- The "prevailing wisdom" suggests that teams on the verge of playoff contention willing to overpay need not apply for Garnett. According to Bucher, KG is only interested in situations where title contention is realistic.
- One of Bucher's sources names the Jazz as a team that could make a play for Nelson.
- The Rockets could be in the mix for Andre Miller if they only retain one of Goran Dragic or Kyle Lowry.
- A source tells Bucher that Chris Kaman would "welcome the chance" to return to the Hornets and play alongside Anthony Davis.
- One source on Jason Kidd: "Hurts to say this, because I have so much respect for him, but he's run his course. This was his final chapter. He's 15 minutes a night as a backup for someone like San Antonio or Oklahoma City or maybe Brooklyn."