On this date in 1976, the Nets made the worst deal since the island of Manhattan was sold for $24 in wampum. The Nets, in need of money to help facilitate their move from the dying ABA to the NBA, sold Julius Erving to the 76ers for $3MM. Dr. J led the Nets to two ABA titles, but they’ve yet to win an NBA championship to this day. Meanwhile, Erving helped the Sixers capture the 1983 Larry O’Brien trophy.
Got a great blog post that you think should be featured in Hoops Links? Send it to me at [email protected] Here’s the best from around the basketball blogosphere this week..
- Hoop76 asks if the Sixers should sign Jason Collins.
- Daily Thunder has some questions for OKC.
- Blazers Edge previews the Kings.
- The Brooklyn Game looks at Malik Allen‘s new venture for college recruiting.
- Keep It Cavalier recaps the Cavs’ preseason outing against the Pistons.
- RaptorsHQ looks at Toronto’s most must-see opponents this season.
- Queen City Hoops previews Bismack Biyombo.
- Red94 has some random thoughts on the Rockets’ upcoming season.
- 48 Minutes of Hell talks renewal for the Spurs.
If you have a suggestion for this feature, Zach can be reached here.