Celtics, Cavs, Knicks Have Discussed Love Trade

MONDAY, 3:55pm: Cleveland has made it clear it wants a star in return for Love, not the role players and draft picks the Celtics are offering, league sources tell Marc Stein and Brian Windhorst of ESPN.com.

10:15pm: The Cavs have been shopping Love but the asking price is very high, Adam Himmelsbach of The Boston Globe tweets.

FRIDAY, 9:00pm: The Cavaliers and the Celtics have had discussions regarding a trade that would send Kevin Love to Boston, Frank Isola of The New York Daily News reports. Preliminary talk also took place about a three-way deal that would include the Knicks and small forward Carmelo Anthony, Isola adds. Anthony’s contract includes a no-trade clause, which the veteran would have to waive in order for any deal involving him to occur. New York would be in line to receive draft picks and players in return for Anthony, including center Timofey Mozgov, who was part of the 2011 trade with Denver that landed ‘Melo in New York.

The talks involving the Knicks have not progressed, according to Isola, and Anthony remains committed to New York for the time being. Anthony did relay earlier today that if the Knicks were to miss the playoffs this season, he would have to think about his future with the franchise. “That doesn’t sit well with me to know that it can be three years if we don’t pick it up right away,” Anthony said. “I try not to think about that right now but in actuality you have to start thinking about that.

Anthony has expressed his desire to play alongside another star player, which LeBron James certainly qualifies as if Anthony were indeed to end up in Cleveland. “I think everybody always kind of dreams and hopes that they can play with another great player, another star player,” Anthony said. “It’s a star players’ league. I think that’s what we all talk about every time we get together. ‘I want to play with you. I want to play with you.’ Even here different guys say, ‘Come play with me, come play with me.’ That’s always the mindset. I think everybody that’s in my situation, in my position, they all want the load off, especially the older that they get. You realize that you just can’t do it by yourself. Everybody knows that. You have teams, great teams, great guys — individual guys on the teams — that still haven’t won either. They realize it just doesn’t work like that.

The Celtics could also look to deal with the Knicks directly if they are unable to land Love, Isola notes. Boston executive Danny Ainge is determined to add a star player and is intrigued by Anthony, the Daily News scribe adds. Boston certainly has assets the Knicks would likely be interested in, including multiple future draft picks and perhaps second-year playmaker Marcus Smart, who could be the answer at point guard for New York, though that is merely my speculation. With their lack of future draft picks thanks to a number of ill-advised trades, the Knicks could benefit from hitting the reset button and building around rookie phenom Kristaps Porzingis.

34 Comments on "Celtics, Cavs, Knicks Have Discussed Love Trade"

NYC Fan
NYC Fan

Zack
Zack

We don’t need love or Anthony , bad move to give up our young guys for either

RFW
RFW

There is no way that Ainge and/or Stevens would give any thought of obtaining Anthony…even if the Knicks had quality draft picks to throw in hopes of sheading his contract.

RFW
RFW

make that “in in”

Ryan
Ryan

they are not looking to shed the contract..it would be to gain picks from the celts and smart or bradley and olynk ( u cant keep 8 players from the draft,they have to deal them) and they want a star player and anthonys contract wont look as bad when DH types get a new 30-35 mil contract..whiteside and clarkson get 20-25 mil….this offseason..then Melo will be payed 3mil less than them at 25 mil

Chris Crouse
Admin

I like this for Cleveland. Melo and LeBron could give the Warriors a game.

Matt Galvin
Matt Galvin

link to espn.go.com Hortford gives Cavs 4+ Wins. Magic get 1+ Wins with Teague and Korver. The Hawks have no effect.

Chris Crouse
Admin

If you’re NY, do you trade Melo without getting back a Brooklyn pick?

Dave4585
Dave4585

No way, Melo is worth more than a mid round 1st and Mozgov lol

Scott
Scott

Depends who they get back. I’d assume if it is a 3 team trade, New York is looking to get either Smart or Crowder, maybe even both. I know I would certainly demand that nets pick to start, then negotiate from there.

Ryan
Ryan

Yes because u still probably get 2/3 picks for this yrs draft and 2 nxt yr and a Smart/bradley &Oly plus those picks.. NY needs those picks more than anyone if they can get 5-6 of the celts 8-9 picks in this yr and nxt yrs draft !!!! YES u have to….and the brooklyn pick is probably the hang up

robert
robert

finally a trade i can get behind.. love to boston, melo to the cavs..

Derek
Derek

Makes sense for all 3 teams. Boston gets their star, Cleveland gets their wing scorer, NY gets future assets and young guys to build around Kristops. Plus Lebron gets his scoring partner and Melo gets his title shots. I don’t see why this doesn’t get done

Scott
Scott

I like this as well. For Cleveland its a no brainer.

Snorgator
Snorgator

Love isn’t worth brooklyns pick. Only good for Cleveland and New York.

Scott
Scott

From a Knicks perspective, I’d rather Mozgov go to Boston. It seems like a better fit for both teams. With Lopez in NY on a long-term deal, I’m not sure Mozgov resigns with NY to be a backup or fight it out to start. It’s better to let him go to Boston to team up with Love. For NY, I’d ask for either Crowder and Smart or one of them plus the Nets pick. This is with Melo going to Cleveland obviously.

Scott
Scott

If the Knicks could get both Smart and Crowder, the Knicks should still look to get at least 1st rounder.

Smoove
Smoove

No way Boston gives & sends Crowder, Smart, & that Nets pick for this coming coming for Love to NY.

Scott
Scott

I agree, what I said was the Knicks should ask for one of them, plus the nets pick or both of them and one of their less desirable 1st rounders.

slapnuts
slapnuts

No way ainge gives up that nets pick until after the lottery positions are determined

Daniel Morairity
Daniel Morairity

This would be good for those three teams. Cavs would put LeBron at the 4 and put Melo at the 3. Celtics get the player they always wanted in Love. Knicks would get mozgofv.

jeremy