Hoops Rumors Community Shootaround 3/4/16

LeBron James famously broke the hearts of Cleveland fans in 2010 with his “decision” to take his talents to Miami and the Heat. The move paid off handsomely for James, who helped guide the franchise to four straight trips to the NBA Finals, garnering two championships for his troubles. His return to the Cavaliers last season was supposed to be a homecoming of sorts, but the team has had its struggles despite reaching the NBA Finals in 2014/15. Adding to the intrigue and turmoil in Cleveland is James’ preference to ink one-year deals that afford him the opportunity to leave Ohio once again for what he may perceive as greener pastures if he is unhappy with the state of the franchise.

James and his Cavs teammates reportedly don’t have great chemistry, which only adds fuel to the fire for those who speculate that James may end up departing after this season. LeBron turned some heads this week with his decision to take a jaunt to Miami during consecutive off days to work out with his friend and former teammate Dwyane Wade. “What do I go there for? Go there ’cause I want to,” James said. “I would love to go to L.A., but I’ll take two and a half [hour flight] over four and a half. I’ve got a house in L.A., but it makes more sense for me to go south than go west. But I go because I want to.

If LeBron wanted to defuse the situation, regardless of whether he felt he needed to or not, he didn’t help things with a series of cryptic tweets he posted a short time later. “Can’t replace being around great friends that reciprocate the same energy back to you in all facets of life,” James wrote, in what appears to be an obvious reference to Wade. It’s unclear if this is a condemnation of his relationship with his teammates in Cleveland or just an appreciation for the Heat shooting guard’s continuing friendship. Regardless of James’ intent, it was what he posted next that is truly interesting. “It’s OK to know you’ve made a mistake. Cause we all do at times. Just be ready to live with whatever that comes with it and be with those who will protect you at all cost!

The 31-year-old declined to explain the tweets, but he did deny they were directed at his current team. “I don’t want to explain it, and no, [it wasn’t] directed at a teammate,” James said. Whether or not you accept James’ assertion that it wasn’t directed at a teammate, it wouldn’t be the first time James took to social media to call out another player or express his displeasure.

This brings me to the topic for today: Will LeBron James leave the Cavaliers as a free agent once again?

There’s no denying that it would be a public relations nightmare for James if he were to abandon his home state team a second time, but with his career winding down, James could decide his on-court legacy is more important than upsetting and potentially alienating the state of Ohio. But what say you? Will LeBron ditch the Cavs again? More importantly, should he do so? There is also the question of what team would he go to. Take to the comments section to share your thoughts and opinions. We look forward to what you have to say.

11 Comments on "Hoops Rumors Community Shootaround 3/4/16"

Chris Crouse
Admin

Miami could get to max cap space this summer and they have a young prospect (Winslow) who can take the pressure off of LeBron on the defensive end. I don’t think he will, but if I am Cleveland I’m worried. It’s LeBron or lottery for them.

Jeremy Nierenberg
Jeremy Nierenberg

Miami has max cap space for 1-3 players next season… the only players signed past this season are Dragic and Bosh (plus the 2 rookies). If Lebron does come back I would assume it would be some sort of salary split with Wade.. they would want to keep Whiteside on the roster

Mike
Mike

Yes James miss Miami. Cause now he on a team that have to many egos n selfish player. It’s the mind set of the players. They r not on lebron level. Wade N bosh are. The mistake was leaving Miami.

Z-A
Z-A

You would think that kyrie wants to win a championship… but it seems he just wants to ball his way. Reminds me of Marbury and KG, kyrie is too much marbury.

Curtis Smith
Curtis Smith

Not a chance.not even he can afford that type of p.r hit. Before he leaves he’ll replace everyone on the cabs roster with players he wants. Bye bye juror and love

Jeremy Nierenberg
Jeremy Nierenberg
Until Lebron said “because I want to….” I would have said absolutely not (and I’m a big Heat fan)… leaving your team in the middle of the season (for the second time) to visit the home town of your former team, to hang out with former teammates… that’s a sign people. To compound it with the cryptic tweet LeBron tersely said had nothing to do with the Cavs.. along with Brian Windhorst saying negative things about him all of a sudden… you really have to wonder. If I’m a Cavs fan… I worry. If I’m a Heat fan.. id rather… Read more »
formerlyz
formerlyz

Not that I think it’s happening, but let’s not pretend like we wouldn’t take LeBron James back if that scenario came into play.

Got Balll
Got Balll
The media today has become vultures demonizing Labron james every breath. A circus tent of erresponsible scavengers hiding behind the 5th amendment along with talk radio I can truly say there has only been ONE reporter Who’s reporting I trust to be fair of Labron . So( what does Labron mean cryted tweets? – Spending time with friends on his day off that aren’t his teammates? UNHEARD of lol SMH I’m sure Kevin love or Erving have never done that . I notice with talk radio they shape the Narrative with divisive comments breading contempt and hate for a man… Read more »
Jeremy Nierenberg
Jeremy Nierenberg

If Kevin Love was a free agent in July and he was flying to minnesota to hang out with Ricky Rubio over and over… would you think there was something to that? If he then wrote about a “mistake…” and “love being around true friends”… would you not think something was there? Don’t be a sheep.. use common sense.

Steve Pasek
Steve Pasek

He will, he should, and I hope he does. Would make the Bulls task easier. If he fires his agent, bye bye Cleveland.

LeBron might leave Cleveland if they win atleast one ring in the next few years. He came back to “win one for the ‘Land” and I don’t see him leaving before that. It might not seem like he cares about his public perception, but he does, so jumping ship before a ring would only villanize him even more both to Cleveland and around the league. Now, if he goes another 5 years or so without winning and he’s starting to get closer to retirement, I could see something like him leaving to try to win one more, but I don’t… Read more »