Pistons Notes: Downtown Move, Kennard, FA Workouts

The Detroit City Council voted on Tuesday in favor of several key agreements related to the Pistons’ move downtown, as Christine Ferretti and Jennifer Chambers of The Detroit News report. However, while Tuesday’s votes finalized approvals for the Pistons’ new practice facility and headquarters, there are more roadblocks that will need to be cleared before the club’s move to the Little Caesars arena is fully approved.

On June 20, the Detroit city council is scheduled to vote on the issuance of $34.5MM in proposed taxpayer-funded DDA bonds. Shortly after Tuesday’s city council session took place though, a federal judge granted a June 19 lawsuit that seeks to halt that June 20 vote, per Louis Aguilar of The Detroit News. As Aguilar explains, that lawsuit seeks to allow Detroit and Wayne County residents to vote on whether taxpayer money should be put toward the new arena and team facilities.

As the Pistons wait for resolution to the legal battle over their potential new arena, here are a few more items related to the team:

Western Notes: Warriors, Lakers, Mavs, Spurs

In the wake of the Warriors‘ Game 3 win over the Cavaliers, Cleveland may have to face the harsh reality that there will be no stopping Golden State for the next few years, writes Chris Mannix of The Vertical. As Mannix explains, there aren’t many obvious routes the Cavs can take to upgrade their roster, and the Warriors should have no trouble attracting ring-chasing veterans every year — this season, productive vets like David West and Zaza Pachulia were willing to take reduced salaries to join the Dubs.

Meanwhile, fans of rival teams may hope that the Warriors’ four core players get too expensive for the team to keep them all, but that’s unlikely to happen anytime soon. Klay Thompson has been the star most frequently cited as the potential victim of a Warriors cap crunch, and acknowledged to Mannix that he has thought about one day being the face of another franchise. However, he added: “It’s just winning is so much fun.”

Here’s more from around the Western Conference:

Draft Notes: Monk, Wolves, Bell, Knicks

Selecting Malik Monk is the Sixers‘ best option at No. 3, Bob Ford of the Philadelphia Inquirer contends. While taking Monk so high may be considered a reach, Ford doesn’t see it that way. He argues that front office should disregard expert rankings and pick the player who would fit in best with the team.

Only five teams were worse than the Sixers from long-range last season, as I mentioned in the franchise’s offseason preview. The Sixers’ greatness need may be shooting and Monk, who Jonathan Givony of Draft Express ranks as the eighth best prospect in the draft, made 39.7%  of his attempts from behind the arc during his lone season in Kentucky.

Here’s more on the upcoming draft:

  • Wolves coach Tom Thibodeau said other teams have been trying to acquire the No. 7 overall pick, ESPN’s Nick Friedell tweets. Thibs added that he believes there will be high demand for many picks in the draft.
  • Jordan Bell had an impressive workout with the Sixers, according to Keith Pompey of the Philadelphia Inquirer“For a Dennis Rodman-like player who has the ability to play across a few positions, mainly defensively, we sat with him, had a great interview as we’ve learned more about him,” Sixers executive Brandon Williams said. If Bell falls in the draft, Philadelphia could be a team to watch out for since it has four selections in the second round.
  • The Knicks worked out Ike Iroegbu and Trevor Thompson, Marc Berman of the New York Post passes along (Twitter link).
  • Elie Okobo worked out for the Sixers today, Jessica Camerato of Comcast Sports relays (Twitter link). Okobo previously worked out for the Jazz and he plans to meet with the Nets and Hawks.

Fred Hoiberg Has “No Interest” In Ohio State Job

Fred Hoiberg was linked to the recently vacated Ohio State heading coach job, but sources tell Vincent Goodwill of Comcast Sportsnet that the coach has “no interest” in the position.

Hoiberg previously spent five seasons as the head coach at Iowa State and it would seem natural to connect the dots between him and a major opening, such as the one at Ohio State. However, it appears he wants to remain with the Bulls, a franchise with which he’s under contract for the next three seasons.

Bulls executive John Paxson said that the team wants Hoiberg back during an end-of-season press conference. Hoiberg wasn’t able to take Chicago past the first-round of this year’s playoffs, but Paxson believes that has more to do with a lack of shooting than it does with the coach.

Workout Notes: Nets, Bulls, Evans, Dorsey

The Nets worked out several prospects today, according to Michael Scotto of Basketball Insiders (Twitter link). Jaron Blossomgame, Devin Robinson, Wesley Iwundu, Damyean Dotson, London Perrantes and Tarik Phillip all participated in drills for Brooklyn.

There’s more news on prospects meeting with teams. Here’s the latest:

Fred Hoiberg Emerging As Serious Candidate For Ohio State Job

Ohio State recently let go longtime coach Thad Matta and Gary Parrish of CBS Sports tweets that Fred Hoiberg is emerging as a serious candidate for the opening.

Hoiberg joined the Bulls’ sideline on a five-year deal during the 2015 offseason and the results have varied. He owns a record of 83-81 with the club, making the playoffs for the first time during this past season.

Earlier in the season, it appeared Hoiberg was losing the team. He clashed with Rajon Rondo, and other veterans, such as Jimmy Butler and Dwyane Wade, were reportedly tuning him out. However, after Chicago lost the final four games of its series with Boston, the veterans appeared to support their coach with Wade publicly standing up for his coach.

I definitely believe [Hoiberg] got better throughout this year,” Wade said in response to fans calling for Hoiberg to be fired. “And I think you have more a grasp moving forward with what he wants to do with this team. You have to give people a chance.’’

Hoiberg coached in the college ranks from 2010 until 2015 at Iowa State University. He compiled a record of 115-56 during his time at the program.

Lakers Draft Notes: Ball, Jackson, Fox

Lonzo Ball worked out for the Lakers earlier today and he reiterated his desire to don the purple and gold, calling Los Angeles “home,” as Jeff Goodman of ESPN.com relays. The UCLA product added that he’d be comfortable playing for any team should the Lakers pass on him. “I’ll go to any team and just do what I do,” Ball said. “Play basketball.”

Today’s workout could be the first of several since the team would like to get more familiar with Ball’s unorthodox shooting form, according to Goodman. Multiple sources tell Goodman that despite the scrutiny of Ball’s shot, the point guard remains the favorite to go No. 2.

Ball believes his workout went well and he told reporters why L.A. should take him. “They need a leader,” Ball said. “They need a point guard. I feel like I can fill that hole.”

Here’s more from Los Angeles:

  • Chad Ford of ESPN.com cautions that Ball to the Lakers is not a done deal and notes that a trade involving the No. 2 overall pick remains a possibility. Los Angeles isn’t going to mortgage the future for instant success, but Ford writes that the front office would like to start winning again “sooner than later.”
  • Some within the Lakers’ front office are strong supporters of Josh Jackson with the feeling that the small forward’s defense would fit in well with the team, Ford writes in the same piece.
  • Ford adds (same piece) that the team took notice of how De’Aaron Fox outplayed Ball in their NCAA Tournament matchup and the scribe pegs the odds of L.A. selecting Fox at 25%. He adds that Fox, Jackson, and Ball all have workouts with the team this week and those will all have an impact on the team’s decision.
  • D’Angelo Russell would be an excellent fit next to Ball, Kevin Pelton contends in that same piece. Pelton cautions that it wouldn’t be great backcourt defensively, but it could work on the other end because of each guard’s ability to spread the floor.

Five Key Offseason Questions: Washington Wizards

The Wizards’ 2016 offseason, which included a five-year max contract for Bradley Beal, pricey multiyear investments in Ian Mahinmi, Andrew Nicholson, and Jason Smith, and the hiring of Scott Brooks, was met with skepticism by many league observers. However, while most of the team’s free agent additions didn’t pay major dividends, Brooks’ arrival and Beal’s breakout season helped buoy Washington to a top-four seed in the Eastern Conference.

The Wizards were just one win away from knocking off the top-seeded Celtics and earning a spot in the Eastern Conference Finals, but this team isn’t a finished product. There are several areas the Wizards will need to address and a handful of questions the club will need to answer in order to make another deep playoff run a year from now.

Here are several key questions facing the Wizards as they enter the offseason:

1. Will Otto Porter be re-signed?Otto Porter vertical

John Wall and Beal are the Wizards’ stars, but if anyone on the roster qualifies as the third piece of a Big Three, it’s Porter. He enjoyed the best season of his four-year career in 2016/17, averaging 13.4 PPG, 6.4 RPG, and 1.5 SPG, with an extremely efficient .516/.434/.832 shooting line. He’s also just 24 years old, and is eligible for restricted free agency this summer.

When Beal reached restricted free agency a year ago, there was little doubt that the Wizards would retain him, despite his injury history. Porter isn’t quite a lock to be brought back — he’ll almost certainly draw enough rival interest that Washington will be forced to go up to the max for him, and he’d be making more than both Beal and Wall in that scenario. Still, letting him go wouldn’t create a ton of cap flexibility for the Wizards, and it would leave the club with a huge hole in its lineup, so I’d expect Porter to stay in D.C.

2. Will Bojan Bogdanovic be re-signed?

Like Porter, Bogdanovic provided reliable outside shooting for the Wizards this season and is eligible for restricted free agency. Bogdanovic, who was acquired at the trade deadline, isn’t as strong an all-around player as Porter, but he’s a very solid scorer off the bench on a team that had a hard time finding production from its second unit.

Assuming they tender Bogdanovic a qualifying offer, as they should, the Wizards will have the opportunity to match any offer sheet the veteran forward signs. But if Porter is re-signed, Washington won’t have a ton of flexibility to match a lucrative offer for Bogdanovic unless the team is willing to go into the tax. Depending on how aggressively suitors pursue Bogdanovic, it might make sense for the Wizards to let him go.

Read more

And-Ones: Motiejunas, Blatt, Lakers, Free Agency

Heat president Pat Riley and Lakers president Magic Johnson participated in a panel discussion earlier this week, with Riley joking about how expects to land “a treasure of players” from Johnson in trades. As Ira Winderman of The South Florida Sun Sentinel outlines, Riley also talked about Johnson’s transition to the front office, and the challenges the former Lakers star will face as he adjusts to a role that doesn’t involve much interaction with his players.

“When I went from coaching to the front office, my first three months I was actually in fits, because I had lost control. You lose control of the team and the game, because you’re just selecting players,” Riley said. “And one thing you don’t want to do as president is second-guess your coach too much, go down to the locker room, don’t hang around too much. … [Magic] will sit up there in that box of his, and when things aren’t going good the first, he’s going to want to go down there and be Lonzo Ball‘s mentor.”

Here are a few more odds and ends from around the basketball world:

  • Donatas Motiejunas has new representation, according to international basketball reporter David Pick, who tweets that the free-agent-to-be has signed with Octagon Sports. Motiejunas was previously repped by Wasserman, but left the agency in the wake of his tumultuous restricted free agency last season.
  • Former Cavaliers head coach David Blatt, who coached Turkey’s Darussafaka Dogus in 2016/17, may return to Israel for the coming season. David Pick reports (via Twitter) that Maccabi Tel Aviv executives appear ready to offer Blatt a long-term deal in the $3-4MM range. Blatt coached the Israeli club from 2010 to 2014 before he headed to Cleveland.
  • Ex-Lakers guard Darius Morris tells Rod Beard of The Detroit News (Twitter link) that he has worked out for the Lakers, Grizzlies, and Pistons, and has a session lined up with the Jazz as well.
  • In a feature for Bleacher Report, Howard Beck examines how free agency decisions by LeBron James and Kevin Durant may have changed the landscape for star players, inspiring more of them to change teams in the future.

2017 Offseason Salary Cap Digest: San Antonio Spurs

The Spurs won 60+ games for the third time in four years in 2016/17, but any chance they had of knocking off the Warriors in the Western Conference Finals was stymied when Kawhi Leonard re-injured his ankle in Game 1 against Golden State. Even though San Antonio was the second- or third-best team in the NBA this past season, additional roster pieces may be needed to seriously challenge the historically dominant Warriors.

Here’s where things currently stand for the Spurs financially, as we continue our Offseason Salary Cap Digest series for 2017:

Guaranteed Salary

Player Options

Team Options

  • None

Non-Guaranteed Salary

Restricted Free Agents

  • Jonathon Simmons ($1,671,382 qualifying offer / $1,671,382 cap hold)
  • Total: $1,671,382

Cap Holds

Projected Salary Cap: $101,000,000

Maximum Cap Room: $22,856,803

  • With seven guaranteed contracts, plus cap holds for a first-round pick and four empty roster spots, the Spurs’ team salary is $78,143,197. That figure doesn’t include Gasol or Lee, who could pick up player options, and also doesn’t include Ginobili, Mills, or Simmons, all free agents. Even if none of those players return, San Antonio would still have work to do to clear enough room for a maximum salary player like Chris Paul.

Footnotes:

  1. Forbes’ salary becomes partially guaranteed ($100,000) after August 1.

Salary information from Basketball Insiders and The Vertical was used in the creation of this post.