Marcus Burk

Draft Decisions: K. Williams, Lawson, Burk, Daly, Gach

With an August 3 withdrawal deadline looming, the NCAA early entrants in the 2020 NBA draft pool must make decisions soon on whether or not they’ll keep their names in and forgo their remaining college eligibility.

Here are updates on a few of the latest decisions:

  • Cincinnati guard Keith Williams is withdrawing from the draft and returning to school for his senior year, according to agent Trinity Best (Twitter link via Jon Rothstein of CBS Sports). Williams declared for the draft this spring after averaging 12.6 PPG and 4.6 RPG in 30 games (28.8 MPG) for the Bearcats.
  • South Carolina guard A.J. Lawson is headed back to school, the program announced in a press release. “I want to thank all of the teams that gave me the opportunity to speak with them over the last couple of months, and I’m excited to be back in Columbia and ready to get to work for the season ahead,” said Lawson, who averaged 13.4 PPG and 3.7 RPG in 31 games (29.1 MPG) as a sophomore.
  • IUPUI guard Marcus Burk has pulled out of the draft after testing the waters, tweets Jeff Goodman of Stadium. Burk was the Jaguars’ leading scorer as a junior, with 21.3 PPG on .432/.386/.782 shooting.
  • Saint Joseph’s guard Ryan Daly has withdrawn from the draft and will return to school for his senior season, he tells Goodman (Twitter link). After transferring from Delaware, Daly racked up 20.5 PPG, 6.9 RPG, and 4.3 APG in his first full season with the Hawks in 2019/20.
  • Having previously decided to transfer from Utah to Minnesota for his junior season, swingman Both Gach has now formally removed his name from the 2020 draft pool, writes Marcus Fuller of The Star Tribune. It remains to be seen whether Gach will have to sit for a year before officially playing for his new school.

Draft Decisions: Richards, Tshiebwe, West, Burk, Adams

After initially tweeting on Monday that Nick Richards would likely be the next Kentucky underclassman to enter the 2020 NBA draft, Adam Zagoria of ZagsBlog.com writes that Richards will in fact declare for the draft.

Richards made his decision official this morning, announcing on his Twitter account that he intends to forgo his final year of college eligibility and go pro.

The junior big man looks like a realistic candidate to be drafted, ranking 59th on ESPN’s big board of 2020 prospects. He’s coming off a breakout season in which he averaged 14.0 PPG, 7.8 RPG, and 2.1 BPG in 31 games (29.6 MPG).

Here are more updates on early entrants declaring for the 2020 draft:

  • West Virginia forward/center Oscar Tshiebwe announced on Twitter that he’ll enter the draft while maintaining his NCAA eligibility. Tshiebwe nearly averaged a double-double (11.2 PPG, 9.3 RPG) in just 23.2 minutes per contest as a freshman and shows up on ESPN’s big board at No. 79. However, West Virginia head coach Bob Huggins said on Monday that he believes the big man will likely return for his sophomore season, as Alex Hickey of WVMetroNews.com writes.
  • Marshall guard Jarrod West has declared for the draft while maintaining his eligibility, the program announced (via Twitter). West, a strong defender who averaged 14.2 PPG as a junior, sounds like he’s leaning toward returning to school. It’s a chance to get my name out there and possibly get some feedback which could help improve my game, and end up helping our team be even better,” he said of the draft process, per Keith Morehouse of WSAZ-TV (Twitter link).
  • IUPUI junior guard Marcus Burk announced on Twitter that he has decided to test the 2020 draft waters. After transferring from Cambell, he averaged 21.3 PPG on .432/.386/.782 shooting in 2019/20, earning All-Horizon League Second Team honors.
  • Austin Peay freshman guard Jordyn Adams will also test the draft process, as he announced in a tweet. Adams was the Governors’ second-leading scorer in his first college season, with 17.4 PPG in 31 games (33.2 MPG). He was named Ohio Valley Conference Freshman of the Year.