Newsstand

R.J. Hampton Signs With Pistons

FEBRUARY 23: The Pistons have officially signed Hampton, the team announced.


FEBRUARY 21: Former Magic guard R.J. Hampton plans to sign with the Pistons after he clears waivers, ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski tweets.

Hampton, the 24th overall pick in 2020, was waived by Orlando on Tuesday afternoon.

Hampton had a rotation role in his first season-and-a-half with the Magic, but has seen his playing time decline precipitously in 2022/23 after the team turned down the ’23/24 team option on his rookie scale contract. Hampton appeared in just 26 contests this season, averaging 5.7 points, 1.5 rebounds, and 1.3 assists on .439/.340/.838 shooting in 13.9 minutes per game.

It’s not a given that Hampton will join the Pistons, since it’s possible he could be claimed. He has a $2,412,840 cap hit for 2022/23, so a team with cap room or a trade exception big enough to absorb that amount could place a claim.

Detroit has an open roster spot, so it won’t have to make a corresponding move.

The Pistons have been rotating Jaden Ivey, Alec Burks, Killian Hayes and Cory Joseph at the guard positions. Hampton could take over some of Joseph’s minutes as he auditions for a new contract. He’ll be an unrestricted free agent this summer, as James Edwards III of The Athletic hears that he’ll just be signing a rest-of-the-season contract with Detroit (Twitter link).

Bradley Beal Discusses Future With Wizards, Desire To Compete For A Title

Bradley Beal is among a handful of NBA players who are celebrated for their loyalty to a franchise, and although he doesn’t have any immediate plans to leave the Wizards, there appear to be limits to how long he’ll wait for the team to become a contender. In an interview with Marc J. Spears of Andscape, Beal talked repeatedly about how much he wants to compete for a title, something Washington hasn’t been in position to do since he arrived there a decade ago.

“I’m patient, but there comes a time where you have to be a little selfish and draw a line in the sand, for sure,” Beal said. “So, I have thoughts in my head but at the same time I stay in the moment. I stay engaged with what we have and what we do and don’t get caught up in noise and just go from there, take it a day at a time, control what I can control.”

The Wizards have just three playoff series wins in Beal’s time with the organization and have missed the postseason in three of the past four years. They won 10 of their last 14 games before the All-Star break, but they’re still just ninth in the East, leaving Beal far short of what he wants most.

“I feel like I’ve accomplished a good amount of my career,” he said. “I’ve been an All-Star, been All-NBA, averaged 30 (points per game) in the league. It’s just, ‘OK, what can I do now? What do you want to do?’ Win, win, win, win, win at the highest level, play in meaningful games, win multiple playoff series, get to the Finals, win a Finals. That’s what I want to do. That’s the goal.”

Beal covers several other topics in the interview:

On the mixed emotions he felt attending Game 4 of last year’s NBA Finals:

“I was sitting with my wife, and I was like telling (Jayson Tatum) just like, ‘No, guard him, guard him,’ like I’m on the team. Man, I got to chill. But just the atmosphere, as a competitor, you’re like, ‘Yo, I want to be a part of this. I want to hoop on this stage.’ So that, there was nothing like it. I’d have drove myself mad if I’d have went to more than one game.”

On the disappointment of missing the Olympics after being placed in health and safety protocols:

“It’s something that’s out of your control. Obviously, in hindsight, I wish I would’ve got the vaccine. I wish I’d have had it at the time because I could’ve avoided all that. But everything happens for a reason. Again, I’m proud of the opportunity. I could come again in another year, so it’s not like it’s out of reach, or I won’t have another opportunity at it. So, I’m definitely excited about it. I was happy to be a part of the team with a great group of guys. Coach (Steve) Kerr, Coach Pop (Gregg Popovich), everybody was awesome. And just to still have that relationship with them today is cool.”

On his level of confidence that the Wizards can become a contender:

“We’re making steps to compete, and we’re doing it on a nightly basis. (Wizards general manager Tommy Sheppard) is making moves to improve the team. So, all I can do is sit back, trust him, trust his process, work with what we are working with. It’s not easy. The grass isn’t always greener. I understand that when you give up, hell, if I go somewhere (else), you’re giving up a lot. So, that factors into a lot of stuff, too. So obviously you try to put yourself in the best situation possible for yourself and your family. We’re trying to build on it. We’re trying to do that here.”

On conversations with other one-team players such as Stephen Curry and Damian Lillard:

“We all think the same. It’s just our commitment to want to win where we’re at, and there’s nothing wrong with that at all. We’re just trusting the organizations that drafted us. They put that trust in us. They continue to invest in us, and we’re just trying to pay that back. We’re trying to give them our all that we possibly can, and I love it, man. I don’t think there’s nothing wrong with it. I take pride in that.”

Ime Udoka Among Candidates For Hawks’ Coaching Vacancy

The Hawks are considering Ime Udoka as a potential replacement for Nate McMillan, sources tell Marc Stein (Twitter link).

Rumors swirled about several prominent coaches after McMillan’s dismissal was announced Tuesday, but this is the first time we’ve heard Udoka as a possibility. Stein notes that Atlanta officials have only acknowledged former Jazz coach Quin Snyder as a candidate, but adds that he’s heard Bucks assistant Charles Lee mentioned frequently among his sources.

Udoka parted ways with the Celtics last week after the organization removed the interim tag from Joe Mazzulla, according to Brian Robb of MassLive. Udoka had been under suspension since September for having an affair with a staff member.

The 45-year-old could be one of the most sought-after names on the coaching market when the season ends, so Atlanta has the chance to lock him down before any other teams make coaching changes. In his only year as a head coach, Udoka took the Celtics to the NBA Finals last season.

Udoka was briefly considered the favorite to replace Steve Nash when he reached a mutual agreement with the Nets to step down in November, but protests regarding Udoka’s conduct in Boston convinced Brooklyn to move in a different direction and give the job to Jacque Vaughn. We’ll have to see if a similar situation arises involving the Hawks or any other franchise that may consider hiring Udoka.

In addition to the names mentioned above, Warriors assistant Kenny Atkinson, Kings assistant Jordi Fernandez, Spurs assistant Mitch Johnson, and South Bay Lakers coach Miles Simon are considered to be candidates in Atlanta’s coaching search. Interim head coach Joe Prunty will lead the team when it resumes its season on Friday.

Russell Westbrook Signs With Clippers

FEBRUARY 22: Westbrook has signed with the Clippers after clearing waivers, the team announced (via Twitter).


FEBRUARY 20, 4:32pm: Westbrook has officially been waived, the Jazz’s PR department tweets.


FEBRUARY 20, 9:51am: Russell Westbrook will join the Clippers once he completes a buyout with the Jazz, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN.

Paul George and Marcus Morris recently spoke out in favor of adding Westbrook, but Clippers management took more convincing, Wojnarowski writes. Sources tell Woj that team officials, including coach Tyronn Lue and president of basketball operations Lawrence Frank, recently had discussions with Westbrook on whether he would accept a clearly defined role that focuses on his play-making, rebounding and toughness.

Those attributes could make a difference for a Clippers team that has been searching for a point guard after failing to fill that role before the trade deadline. L.A. unloaded Reggie Jackson and John Wall in separate deals, so there was a desire to find a lead guard.

Westbrook also had discussions with the Bulls, Wizards and Heat, but Wojnarowski’s sources say he was swayed by the chance to remain in Los Angeles and compete for a title with the Clippers.

Westbrook began the season with the Lakers, continuing a relationship that seemed rocky ever since he was acquired from Washington in 2021. He adapted to a sixth man role under new coach Darvin Ham and contributed 15.9 points, 6.2 rebounds and 7.5 assists in 52 games. However, his shooting percentages remained low at 41.7% from the field and 29.6% from three-point range, and shot selection and turnovers were still an issue.

The 34-year-old guard, who was traded to Utah at the deadline, still must finalize buyout terms with the Jazz and clear waivers before he can join the Clippers. He will likely give up a portion of the money still owed to him on his $47MM+ expiring contract.

The Clippers were considered among the favorites in the West when the season began, but they have been inconsistent during a 33-28 start. If they get the best version of Westbrook to pair with Kawhi Leonard and George, his former teammate in Oklahoma City, they would be a tough playoff matchup for anyone.

Stephen Curry To Be Reevaluated In One Week

Stephen Curry is making “good progress” in his recovery from a left leg injury and will be reevaluated in a week, the Warriors announced (via Twitter).

The team added that Curry’s condition was recently checked by the medical staff, and he was able to begin some on-court workouts. Those will continue as he prepares for his next examination.

Curry suffered a partial tear of the superior tibiofibular ligaments and interosseous membrane, along with a lower leg contusion in a February 4 game against Dallas. He has missed five games since then, with Golden State posting a 2-3 record.

The defending champions are seventh in the West at 29-29 and are locked in a tight race for playoff seeding. Curry has played just 38 games so far, but has been putting up typically excellent numbers, averaging 29.4 points, 6.3 rebounds and 6.4 assists per night while shooting 42.7% on three-pointers.

Jazz Sign Frank Jackson, Kris Dunn To 10-Day Contracts

FEBRUARY 22: The Jazz have officially signed both Jackson and Dunn to 10-day contracts, the team confirmed today in a press release. The deals will run through next Friday (March 3), covering Utah’s next four games.


FEBRUARY 21: The Jazz have reached an agreement to sign guard Frank Jackson to a 10-day contract, agents Troy Payne and Mike Silverman tell Shams Charania of The Athletic (Twitter link).

The 31st overall pick in the 2017 draft, Jackson missed his entire rookie season due to a foot injury, then appeared in 213 regular season games over the next four seasons with the Pelicans and Pistons. In 2021/22, he averaged a career-high 10.6 points per game on .402/.308/.827 shooting in 53 contests (22.0 MPG) for Detroit.

Jackson, a former high school star in Utah, signed non-guaranteed contracts with the Suns and Jazz last fall, but didn’t make a regular season roster and has spent the season playing for the Salt Lake City Stars, Utah’s G League affiliate.

He averaged 19.5 PPG on .441/.410/.733 shooting in 12 Showcase Cup appearances (31.1 MPG) and has increased his production since the NBAGL regular season began, registering 22.2 PPG with a .487/.438/.837 shooting line in 17 games (33.8 MPG). Jackson’s strong play earned him a spot in the G League’s Next Up Game in Salt Lake City over the weekend.

The Jazz are also signing former lottery pick Kris Dunn to a 10-day deal, league sources tell Chris Haynes of TNT and Bleacher Report (Twitter link).

Dunn, 28, was drafted fifth overall in 2016 and has appeared in 245 regular season games since then for the Timberwolves, Bulls, Hawks, and Trail Blazers. Like Jackson though, he hasn’t played in the NBA so far this season, having spent the year in the G League.

Through 20 NBAGL regular season games (29.7 MPG) with the Capital City Go-Go, Washington’s affiliate, Dunn is averaging 16.2 PPG, 5.4 RPG, 5.3 APG and 2.6 SPG on .522/.412/.755 shooting, to go along with his usual strong defense.

The Jazz had just 12 players on their standard roster after buying out Leandro Bolmaro and Russell Westbrook, so they needed to start refilling those spots soon, as we noted this morning. Even after signing Jackson and Dunn, Utah will still have one opening left on its 15-man squad.

Bucks Sign Meyers Leonard To 10-Day Deal

FEBRUARY 22: The Bucks have officially signed Leonard to a 10-day contract, the team announced today in a press release. The deal will run through March 3, covering Milwaukee’s next four games.


FEBRUARY 20: Veteran big man Meyers Leonard is signing a 10-day contract with the Bucks, ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski tweets.

Leonard hasn’t played in the NBA since March 2021. The Bucks had two roster spots open and needed to fill at least one of them to abide by NBA rules.

Leonard said in a recent TV interview that he suffered nerve damage when he underwent ankle surgery in April 2021 and spent much of the last two seasons rehabbing shoulder and ankle injuries. He was also embroiled in controversy two years ago for uttering an antisemitic slur on a video game stream.

Milwaukee might get some use out of Leonard. Bobby Portis has been sidelined by a knee injury, though he’s expected to return soon. Giannis Antetokounmpo took himself out of the All-Star Game during the first minute due to a wrist injury and Jae Crowder has yet to make his team debut.

The Bucks have been monitoring Leonard’s progress for over a year, and conducted a workout with him last month, according to Wojnarowski. They were looking for a big with shooting ability and a playoff history, Woj adds.

Leonard worked out for the Lakers last month but wasn’t signed. His last stint in the league was with the Thunder, who waived him two seasons ago after they acquired him from the Heat.

He was the 11th pick of the 2012 draft by Portland. He played seven seasons with the Trail Blazers, then appeared in 51 regular season games for the Heat in 2019/20. He only saw action in three games in 2020/21.

Hornets RFA Miles Bridges Says He Might Return Next Month

Restricted free agent Miles Bridges could return to the Hornets next month, he told Larry Lage of The Associated Press.

“It’s been a long process,” Bridges said. “I might be back in March.”

Bridges was in attendance at Michigan State’s home game against Indiana on Tuesday night. Bridges played his college ball with the Spartans.

However, there’s still a strong possibility Bridges won’t suit up this season. He could face disciplinary action from the league, which is conducting an investigation into Bridges’ conduct.

He was arrested and charged with felony domestic abuse just days before he entered restricted free agency last summer. He was accused of assaulting his then-girlfriend in front of their two children.

Bridges ultimately worked out a plea deal with prosecutors in Los Angeles County, agreeing to plead no contest to one charge of felony domestic violence while two child abuse counts were dismissed. The 24-year-old avoided jail time by accepting three years of probation. He was ordered to attend a year’s worth of domestic violence counseling sessions and parenting classes in addition to completing 100 hours of community service.

The Hornets denied last month they were engaged in negotiations with Bridges. President of basketball operations Mitch Kupchak said this month that the franchise will still awaiting the league’s decision.

“I don’t know when the investigation is going to end,” Kupchak said. “When the investigation ends, we will have more information and we’ll go from there.”

Bulls Waive Tony Bradley

9:51pm: The Bulls have officially waived Bradley, according to the NBA transactions log.


9:22am: The Bulls are expected to waive center Tony Bradley on Tuesday in order to open up a spot on their 15-man roster to sign Patrick Beverley, reports ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski (via Twitter).

Bradley signed a two-year contract with Chicago during the 2021 offseason and appeared in 55 games with the team last season, but hasn’t had a role for the Bulls in 2022/23. The big man has logged just 33 total minutes across 12 appearances, scoring 19 points and grabbing 11 minutes during that time.

Assuming Bradley goes unclaimed on waivers, which seems like a safe bet, the Bulls will remain on the hook for the rest of his $2,036,318 salary — he’s still owed approximately $562K of that amount, tweets ESPN’s Bobby Marks.

There had been some speculation that the Bulls might release Goran Dragic in order to add Beverley, but it seems Dragic will stick around. The decision will result in a crowded point guard depth chart for the Bulls. Even with Lonzo Ball not expected to return this season, Chicago will still have Beverley, Dragic, Alex Caruso, Ayo Dosunmu, and Coby White in the mix at that spot (though some of them can play the two as well).

As for Bradley, Woj notes (via Twitter) that there are still some teams in the market for a backup center, so it’s possible the 25-year-old will find a new NBA home in the coming days or weeks. He’ll be playoff-eligible for a new team, since he’s being released prior to March 1.

Patrick Beverley Signs With Bulls

FEBRUARY 21: Beverley has officially signed a rest-of-season contract with the Bulls, according to the NBA transactions log.

[RELATED: Beverley: Decision Came Down To Bulls, Warriors]

The Bulls waived Tony Bradley to open up a roster spot for Beverley.


FEBRAURY 20: Point guard Patrick Beverley is expected to sign with the Bulls, Shams Charania of The Athletic reports (via Twitter).

The Bulls will have to open up a spot on their 15-man before adding Beverley.

Beverley was waived by the Magic on Feb. 12 after he was acquired in a trade with the Lakers. He had an expiring $13MM contract before working out a buyout arrangement with Orlando.

In 45 games for the Lakers, all starts, the 34-year-old posted averages of 6.4 PPG on .402/.348/.780, plus 3.1 RPG, 2.6 APG and 0.9 SPG.

Chicago has been seeking point guard help and had been in touch with Beverley’s representatives. Lonzo Ball hasn’t played in 2022/23 and will likely not return until next season. Ayo Dosunmu, Goran Dragic, Coby White and Alex Caruso have taken turns at the point guard but none have taken a stronghold on the starting job.

The Bulls entered the All-Star break with a disappointing 26-33 record. However, they’re still just two games behind the Raptors for the final play-in spot.

It’ll be a homecoming for Beverley, who grew up in Chicago.