Newsstand

Marc Lasry To Sell Stake In Bucks To Haslam Sports Group

Marc Lasry has reached an agreement to sell his stake in the Bucks to Cleveland Browns owner Jimmy Haslam and his Haslam Sports Group, according to Shams Charania of The Athletic. The sale agreement will value the Bucks at $3.5 billion.

Milwaukee’s $3.5 billion valuation is second only to the $4 billion purchase price that Mat Ishbia paid for the Suns, according to Tim Bontemps of ESPN (Twitter link). He notes that it’s also the third-highest ever for a U.S. sports franchise, also trailing the price paid for the Denver Broncos last year.

Lasry owns about 25% of the Bucks and shares controlling owner responsibilities with Wes Edens. Since buying the franchise in 2014, they have served alternating five-year terms as the primary owner. Lasry has been in that role since 2019. His interest in selling was first reported in December, and he talked to Ishbia about buying the team before he purchased the Suns.

Haslam, 68, had considered buying a stake in hte Bucks for several months and had several meetings with the parties involved before a deal was reached, according to Charania. Sources tell Charania that Haslam will continue to seek sports-related business opportunities and may consider buying a professional team in another league.

The Bucks became one of the NBA’s best teams under Lasry and Edens, capturing the second championship in franchise history in 2021. The owners also opened the Fiserv Forum in 2018, which led to a thriving business area around it known as the Deer District.

Haslam and his wife Dee are the controlling owners of the Browns and the Columbus Crew of the MLS. He is the chairman of the Pilot Flying J truck stop chain.

Quin Snyder Named Hawks’ Head Coach

6:48pm: The Hawks have officially named Snyder as their head coach, according to a team press release.

“From our first conversation, it was clear that Quin had all the characteristics we were looking for in our next head coach. He has both an incredible basketball and emotional IQ, and we share the same core values and basketball philosophies of having honest communication and collaboration with players, tremendous attention to detail and placing a great emphasis on player development,” Fields said in a statement.

Snyder is a former Hawks assistant coach.

“I am thrilled to go back to Atlanta as the next head coach of the Hawks,” he said. “Landry has a tremendous reputation as an incredibly bright, high character, high quality individual and it was quickly evident that we share a passion and commitment to building a winning team with a strong foundation and high standards. I am excited to collaborate with Landry to create a successful program that devoted Hawks fans are proud of and cheer for and am grateful to Tony, Jami and the Ressler family for this opportunity.  My family and I are looking forward to immersing ourselves in the community and calling Atlanta home.”


6:07pm: Former Jazz coach Quin Snyder has agreed to become the Hawks’ head coach, ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski reports.

Atlanta will give Snyder a five-year contract and he could be coaching as soon as Tuesday, when the Hawks face Washington.

Snyder replaces Nate McMillan, who was dismissed by the franchise on Tuesday. At the time, the Hawks were expected to conduct a wide-ranging search but they quickly focused on Snyder.

Snyder was Utah’s head coach from 2014-22 and compiled a 372-264 (.585) record during the regular season. However, the Jazz were unable to get over the hump in the postseason. They were 21-30 in the playoffs over the last six seasons, never getting past the Western Conference semifinals.

Assistant Joe Prunty served as the interim coach since McMillan was let go, including in a 129-127 win over Brooklyn on Sunday.

The Hawks chose to hire a permanent coach before the end of the season because they hope to make a deep run in the Eastern Conference playoffs. They also wanted to give Snyder a chance to start implementing his program while evaluating the roster in order to facilitate their offseason approach.

Snyder will have a significant say in player personnel matters, according to Woj. Snyder has been in talks with general manager Landry Fields, assistant GM Kyle Korver and owner Tony Ressler on a number of philosophical, team building and staff budgetary issues, Woj adds.

McMillan was named the club’s interim coach in March 2021 in place of Lloyd Pierce. Atlanta made a surprise run to the Eastern Conference Finals, prompting the Hawks to remove the interim tag and give him a four-year contract in July 2021.

The Hawks finished the regular season at 43-39 and lost in the first round of the playoffs last spring and were 29-30 when they fired him. Atlanta won both of its games under Prunty.

Hornets Sign Bryce McGowens To Four-Year Contract

3:09pm: McCowens’ new contract is official, the Hornets announced in a press release.


1:29pm: Bryce McGowens is receiving a promotion from the Hornets, as they plan to convert his two-way contract to a four-year, $7.4MM standard deal, his agents, Mark Bartelstein and Kyle McAlarney of Priority Sports, tell ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski (Twitter link).

The fourth year of the deal, which would be for the 2025/26 season, is a team option, Wojnarowski adds.

McGowens was the 40th overall pick of last June’s draft after spending one college season at Nebraska. In 26 games (14.7 MPG) as a two-way rookie for Charlotte, he has averaged 4.1 PPG, 1.7 RPG and 1.0 APG on .379/.364/.786 shooting.

The Hornets still have their full mid-level exception available, and they’ll be using a portion of it to give the 20-year-old a four-year deal for more than the minimum in year one.

Charlotte has two openings on its 15-man roster at the moment, so the team won’t need to waive anyone to promote McGowens. Today was the deadline for the Hornets to fill the 14th spot on their standard roster, as we previously explained.

Once the signing is official, the Hornets will have one standard roster spot open as well as a two-way slot.

Magic Sign Michael Carter-Williams To Two-Year Deal

The Magic have signed free agent guard Michael Carter-Williams, the team announced (via Twitter).

Shams Charania of The Athletic was the first to report the deal, tweeting that it’s a two-year contract with a team option for 2023/24.

Carter-Williams, 31, was the No. 11 pick of the 2013 draft out of Syracuse, winning Rookie of the Year with the Sixers in the ’13/14 season. He has bounced around a good amount since, having also played for Milwaukee, Chicago, Charlotte, Houston and Orlando.

The veteran guard, who is known for his defense, originally caught on with the Magic at the end of the 2018/19 season, signing a couple of 10-day contracts and then a rest-of-season deal. He signed a one-year, minimum-salary deal to remain with Orlando that summer, then re-signed with the Magic in the 2020 offseason on a two-year, $6MM contract that ran through the end of 2022.

Carter-Williams’ last NBA appearance came in April 2021 during the ’20/21 season, as he had offseason ankle surgery in August 2021 that kept him sidelined in ’21/22 until he was waived as part of a multiplayer trade. He has been a free agent since he was cut last February.

In 391 games, including 217 starts (25.3 MPG), Carter-Williams holds career averages of 10.3 PPG, 4.4 RPG, 4.4 APG and 1.3 SPG on .402/.255/.706 shooting splits. The Magic have an opening on their standard roster, so a corresponding move is not necessary.

Kings Waive KZ Okpala, Bring Back PJ Dozier

7:55pm: The Kings have officially signed Dozier and waived Okpala, the team confirmed in a press release.


8:30am: The Kings will waive forward KZ Okpala and sign veteran wing PJ Dozier for the rest of the season, reports ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski (Twitter links).

Okpala, who has been dealing with bilateral knee soreness, plans to undergo surgery that will end his season. The 23-year-old power forward has appeared in 35 games, averaging 1.3 points and 1.0 rebounds in 7.1 minutes per night, and hasn’t played since January 28.

After spending his first three seasons in Miami, Okpala signed a two-year deal with Sacramento last summer that carried a partial guarantee. His $1.9MM salary for this season became fully guaranteed when he remained on the roster through early January, and his $2MM salary for 2023/24 was non-guaranteed.

Dozier returns to the Kings after signing two 10-day contracts in January. He saw limited playing time in four games and wasn’t immediately re-signed when the second deal expired at the end of the month. The 26-year-old guard has also played for the Thunder, Celtics and Nuggets.

Suns Sign Ish Wainright To Two-Year Standard Deal

7:55pm: Wainright has officially inked a multiyear contract, the Suns announced (Twitter link via Gerald Bourguet of PHNX Sports).


5:47 pm: The Suns are promoting forward Ish Wainright from his two-way contract to a two-year, $2.5MM standard deal, his agents, Jim Tanner and Deirunas Visokas of Tandem Sports, tell Shams Charania of The Athletic (Twitter link).

There will be a club option for 2023/24 on Wainright’s new deal, Charania adds. It’ll be worth the minimum ($1,927,896).

Wainright was active for his 50th game prior to the All-Star break and thus had maxed out the games-played limit on his two-way contract. Phoenix could have kept him on his two-way deal for the rest of the season, but he would have been ineligible to be activated for another regular season or playoff game; now that he’s getting promoted to a standard deal, those restrictions no longer apply.

While Wainright’s counting stats of 4.3 PPG and 2.1 RPG on .384/.339/.810 shooting in 42 games (15.5 MPG) don’t jump off the page, his plus-6.3 net rating is excellent (the Suns’ season-long net rating is plus-1.5), and he is an above-average defensive player. He has been a rotation player since the start of December.

At 28 years old, Wainright is an unusual second-year player. In addition to a temporary attempt at switching to football, the 6’6″, 250-pound combo forward also played international basketball in Germany and France. He has been with the Suns for the past two seasons on a two-way deal.

The Suns had an opening on their 15-man roster, so they won’t need to waive anyone to promote Wainright. They now have one two-way slot available — Saben Lee occupies the other.

Hawks Offer Head Coaching Job To Quin Snyder

6:40pm: Atlanta is nearing a deal with Snyder, Wojnarowski said on NBA Countdown (Twitter video link).


5:17pm: The Hawks have offered their head coaching job to Quin Snyder and there are “strong signs” that the former Jazz head coach will accept the position, Shams Charania of The Athletic reports on The Rally (Twitter video link).

According to Charania, Snyder is still gathering information on the job and the organization, but it sounds as if it’s only a matter of time before he accepts the offer. Charania hears from sources that Snyder’s contract could be around $8MM per year, and the 56-year-old has “significant interest” in the opening.

Charania reported yesterday that Snyder was in formal negotiations with Atlanta and he looked like the team’s top choice. ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski reported on Friday that Snyder and the Hawks were making progress in their discussions about a deal.

The Hawks fired former head coach Nate McMillan on Tuesday following a disappointing 29-30 start to the season. Assistant Joe Prunty was named interim coach, but that may be temporary.

Snyder spent eight years as head coach of the Jazz before resigning in June. He compiled a 372-264 record and took Utah to the playoffs in his final six seasons with the team. He is considered the best coach available on this year’s marketplace.

Wizards Sign Jordan Goodwin To Multiyear Contract

FEBRUARY 24: The Wizards have officially signed Goodwin to a standard multiyear contract, promoting him to the 15-man roster, the team announced today in a press release.

“Jordan has worked extremely hard during his time with us and that has paid off both for him and for our team with this opportunity,” Wizards president of basketball operations Tommy Sheppard said in a statement. “He is a great example of our development program as well as the importance and impact of having the Go-Go as part of our organization.”

According to Josh Robbins of The Athletic (Twitter link), Goodwin’s new deal is a three-year contract that’s partially guaranteed for 2023/24, with a team option for ’24/25.


FEBRUARY 21: The Wizards intend to promote guard Jordan Goodwin from his two-way contract to a standard deal, reports Shams Charania of The Athletic (Twitter link).

The move had long been expected once Washington was able to open up a roster spot, since Goodwin has been a rotation player since November and had reached his limit of 50 active games. The Wizards reportedly completed a buyout agreement with Will Barton on Tuesday, creating the opening necessary to promote Goodwin.

Goodwin has averaged 6.3 points, 3.3 rebounds, and 2.5 assists in 18.1 minutes per game across 40 appearances for the Wizards this season, posting a solid shooting line of .453/.388/.750.

As Bobby Marks of ESPN noted earlier today (via Twitter), the Wizards are approximately $2.1MM below the luxury tax line, so they have the flexibility to sign Goodwin without surpassing that threshold. The club also has a portion of its mid-level exception available and could use it to give the 24-year-old a three- or four-year contract offer rather than just a one- or two-year pact.

We’ll see what sort of deal Goodwin and the Wizards agree to, but a partially guaranteed three-year contract with a team option on the final year might make sense for both sides. That would give Goodwin a little security and would give the Wizards the option of making the former Saint Louis standout a restricted free agent in the summer of 2024.

Hawks, Quin Snyder Making Progress In Talks

The Hawks‘ head coaching search continues to focus on Quin Snyder, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN, who reports that the two sides have made progress in their talks on a deal to make him Nate McMillan‘s permanent replacement. A resolution could come within the next few days, Wojnarowski adds.

As Wojnarowski outlines, Snyder has spent time this week discussing philosophy and team-building with general manager Landry Fields, assistant GM Kyle Korver, and Hawks owner Tony Ressler. Those conversations are giving the involved parties an opportunity to evaluate how a partnership would work.

Following the Hawks’ dismissal of McMillan on Tuesday, reports identified Snyder as one of several head coaching candidates who would receive consideration from the team. However, most of the other candidates mentioned – with the exception of former Celtics coach Ime Udoka – are currently under contract with other NBA teams, complicating Atlanta’s ability to pursue them immediately.

The Hawks promoted assistant Joe Prunty and named him their interim head coach, so they have the option of playing out the season with Prunty and conducting a more exhaustive search in the spring.

However, it appears Atlanta is interested in making a permanent hire sooner rather than later, and there’s nothing standing in the way of negotiating a deal with Snyder, who is the team’s top target, as Shams Charania of The Athletic reported on Thursday. Snyder hasn’t taken another job since stepping down as the Jazz’s head coach last June.

Snyder is considered the best coach available on this year’s marketplace, and the Hawks are prepared to make a substantial financial commitment to him, according to Wojnarowski.

It remains possible that the Hawks and Snyder won’t ultimately come to an agreement — it’s worth recalling that the NBA’s most recent coaching search in Brooklyn appeared headed in one direction before the Nets pivoted away from Udoka and hired Jacque Vaughn instead. For the time being though, it appears the Hawks will focus on working things out with Snyder before seriously considering any other options.

Finch: Still No Timeline For KAT, But In “Final Stages” Of Recovery

Timberwolves big man Karl-Anthony Towns is making progress in his recovery from a Grade 3 calf strain, with head coach Chris Finch referring to it as the “final stages,” but there’s still no official timeline for his return to action, writes Chris Hine of The Star Tribune.

He’s itching to play,” Finch said after practice Thursday. “I don’t think that it’s a question of anything like going off path right now. I think it’s just literally just going through the final stages of what that looks like.

I don’t know how long it’s going to be, but talking to him, I definitely sense more so than any other conversation I’ve had with him up until this point that he’s chomping at the bit to get back and ready to help this team when that time comes.”

Finch went on to say Minnesota wouldn’t rush Towns back until he’s fully healthy, per Hine.

For sure it’s getting short,” Finch said, referring to the fact that the Wolves only have 21 regular season games left. “But I couldn’t put a marker on when [his return] is. I just know mentally he’s there. You’ll have to ask him this, but I don’t get a sense that he’s at a place where he feels like he’s held back by anything unnecessarily. I think he feels like he’s just finishing off the process.”

Towns has been out since November 28 with the injury and has missed the team’s past 40 games. He was averaging 20.8 points, 8.2 rebounds, and a career-high 5.3 assists per game through 21 contests at the start of the season (33.8 MPG).

According to Hine, veteran point guard Mike Conley, who was acquired for D’Angelo Russell at the trade deadline, has already noticed multiple areas of improvement for trying to close out games. Conley says the Wolves force too many turnovers when opponents are making runs, and Finch agrees.

We’re not going to make every shot … So when we don’t make shots, what can we run?” Conley said. “How can we get to the free-throw line and not turn it over. Those things that we’re all capable of doing individually. Guys can get better at decision-making. Guys can get better at giving guys the ball and getting back in urgency on defense late in games.”