Nance Undergoes Surgery, Out At Least Six Weeks
Cavaliers forward Larry Nance Jr. underwent surgery on Monday to repair a fracture in his left fourth metacarpal, the team announced in a press release.
The team confirmed that Nance is expected to be sidelined approximately six weeks. The surgery was performed at Cleveland Clinic Sports Health. He’ll undergo a period of rest and rehabilitation.
Nance, who is averaging 9.3 PPG and 6.8 RPG, was injured on Saturday against Milwaukee. He had just returned to action after being sidelined with a sprained right wrist.
The injury to Nance, who is signed through the 2022/23 season, has left Cleveland depleted at the power forward spot. Kevin Love has only played two games due to a calf injury, though he completed a pregame workout on Saturday for the first time in a month.
Nets Sign Noah Vonleh
2:42pm: The Nets have officially announced the addition of Vonleh in a team press release. He will be available for tomorrow night’s game against the Pistons, per Malika Andrews of ESPN (Twitter link).
9:29am: Free agent power forward-center Noah Vonleh will sign with the Nets, tweets Shams Charania of The Athletic.
Vonleh will add frontcourt depth to a team that has been lacking in big men since parting with Jarrett Allen last month in the James Harden trade. Brooklyn, which recently added Norvel Pelle and Iman Shumpert, will have a full 15-man roster for the first time since the deal once the Vonleh signing becomes official.
Vonleh had several opportunities to join the G League bubble in Orlando, but he decided to wait for a call from an NBA team, according to Blake Murphy of The Athletic (Twitter link).
The 25-year-old signed with the Bulls in the offseason, but never played for the team. He contracted COVID-19 during training camp and was waived in December before the season began.
A lottery pick in 2014, Vonleh has been with six teams during his six-year NBA career. He started last year with the Timberwolves before being traded to the Nuggets at the deadline. He averaged 3.7 points and 3.4 rebounds in 36 total games.
Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.
Bradley Beal: “We Just Kind Of Let Teams Walk All Over Us”
Bradley Beal may not be asking for a trade, but he’s clearly unhappy with the current situation in Washington. The Wizards star lashed out at his teammates Sunday after a 22-point loss to the Hornets, writes Chase Hughes of NBC Sports.
“We’ve gotta have some pride, man, some dog. We’ve got no dog. We just kind of let teams just walk all over us,” Beal said. “… It’s tough because we’re all adults. I can’t do it for guys. I can only do it for myself. All we can do is encourage the next man to be ready to go and accept the challenge. I can’t do that for someone else. I can’t do your guys’ job and you can’t do my job. You know what I’m saying?”
Beal is having a tremendous individual season, leading the NBA in scoring at 33.2 points per game, but it hasn’t translated into team success. The Wizards are 14th in the Eastern Conference with a 5-15 record and are in danger of sliding out of contention for even a play-in game. Much of that is attributable to injuries and a COVID-19 outbreak that forced nearly two full weeks of postponements, but Washington is only 2-7 since resuming play.
Among his post-game comments, Beal offered support for coach Scott Brooks, whose job is rumored to be in jeopardy because of the disappointing start. Beal said Brooks shouldn’t be blamed for the failure of the players.
“I mean, Coach is doing it,” Beal said. “You see the little signs he does. He’s benching guys, he’s taking guys out early. You would think that would kind of click and roll over for us, but it doesn’t.”
Any statement from Beal that expresses discontent will quickly lead to trade speculation. He has repeatedly pledged his loyalty to the organization, and the Wizards have made it clear that they won’t attempt to trade Beal unless he requests it. However, it may get harder to keep him happy as he considers the possibility of wasting one of his best years on a non-playoff team.
The extension that Beal signed in 2019 keeps him under team control through next season, with a $36.4MM player option for 2022/23. That gives the Wizards a little more time to build a competitive roster before facing the possibility of their best player walking away.
Lauri Markkanen Out 2 To 4 Weeks With Shoulder Sprain
Bulls forward Lauri Markkanen will miss two to four weeks with a sprained right shoulder, the team announced on its website. Markkanen underwent an MRI that showed a sprain to the acromioclavicular joint, which is located at the top of the shoulder.
Markkanen suffered the injury in the first quarter of Friday’s game against Orlando when he collided with Gary Clark on a drive to the basket. He tried to play through it, but left the game for good in the third quarter.
Markkanen, 23, was off to a career-best start, averaging 19.1 points and 6.1 rebounds through 14 games. His shooting numbers have improved significantly from a year ago — 51.4% from the field and 39.6% from 3-point range after posting 42.5% and 34.4% in 2019/20.
He will be eligible for restricted free agency this summer after the Bulls opted not to give him a contract extension before the season began.
Knicks Trade DSJ, Second-Rounder To Pistons For Derrick Rose
FEBRUARY 8: The deal is official, the Knicks announced (via Twitter).
FEBRUARY 7, 2:50pm: The two teams are in agreement, per Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN (Twitter link). The Knicks are acquiring Rose from the Pistons in exchange for Smith and Charlotte’s 2021 second-rounder.
12:11pm: Derrick Rose is set to be reunited with the Knicks and with his former Bulls and Timberwolves head coach Tom Thibodeau. New York is nearing an agreement to acquire Rose from the Pistons in exchange for Dennis Smith Jr. and future draft equity, per James Edwards III and Shams Charania of The Athletic (Twitter link).
Steve Popper of Newsday tweets that the draft pick being sent to the Pistons in the Rose deal will not be the Pistons’ own 2021 second-round pick that the Knicks possess, but could be the 2021 second-round pick that the Hornets owe the Knicks.
News on the exact terms of the trade have yet to be announced. How adding Rose, a savvy veteran scoring point guard with a defined ceiling, will impact the still-developing Knicks’ rotation will be interesting to see. Fan favorite rookie Immanuel Quickley and off-guard Austin Rivers may be especially liable to feel the squeeze, but whether Thibodeau opts to start Rose in place of the more defensively-oriented Elfrid Payton is unclear.
The upstart Knicks are currently the No. 7 seed in the Eastern Conference with an 11-13 record. Offloading future draft picks for a 32-year-old veteran in a move to improve the current on-court product is a curious decision for a club that had very much been prioritizing young players this season. Even All-Star hopeful Julius Randle is only 26.
The Knicks were not the only team in the market for Rose’s services this season. The Clippers, Heat, Bucks, and Nets were apparently all interested in dealing for Rose, per Vincent Goodwill of Yahoo Sports (Twitter link).
Charania adds (via Twitter) that Rose and the Pistons mutually agreed a trade was in both sides’ best interests. The Knicks had been floated as Rose’s “preferred destination” due to his familiarity with Thibodeau and his tenure with the team in 2016/17, his last season as a full-time starter.
Rose is in the final season of a two-year, $15MM contract he inked with Detroit in the summer of 2019. Across 22.8 MPG, Rose has been averaging 14.2 PPG, 4.2 APG, and 1.9 RPG in 15 games for the 5-18 Pistons, the worst team in the Eastern Conference.
Smith, meanwhile, has dropped out of the Knicks’ rotation. He has appeared in just three games for the Knicks this season, but could be counted on to play a bigger role for the Pistons. With 2020 No. 7 lottery pick Killian Hayes injured for the immediate future, Delon Wright has assumed Detroit’s starting point guard duties. In the absence of Hayes, two-way rookie Saben Lee had emerged as the the third pure point guard option behind Rose.
Both Rose and Smith will be free agents at season’s end — Smith is eligible for restricted free agency, though it would require a $7MM qualifying offer from Detroit. The Pistons will have his full Bird rights, while the Knicks will have Rose’s Early Bird rights.
Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.
De’Andre Hunter To Undergo Meniscus Surgery
Hawks forward De’Andre Hunter will undergo a lateral meniscus arthroscopic debridement procedure, the team announced on social media. The surgery is scheduled for Monday in Atlanta.
Hunter, the No. 4 pick in 2019, has missed the last four games due to right knee discomfort caused by wear and tear. An update will be provided on his status in approximately two weeks, the team said.
Atlanta has started the season with a 11-12 record. The 23-year-old Hunter has appeared in 18 contests, averaging 17.2 points, 5.4 rebounds and 32.2 minutes per game. He’s shot 51% from the floor and 37% from deep during those games, starting in every outing.
The Hawks are already playing without shooting guard Bogdan Bogdanovic, who suffered an avulsion fracture in his right knee last month.
Kevin Durant Won’t Rejoin Nets Until Friday
Coach Steve Nash told the media that Kevin Durant will be able to rejoin the Nets on Friday, tweets Malika Andrews of ESPN. Durant is sidelined due to contact tracing after being with someone who tested positive for the coronavirus.
That person is a team employee who Durant was with yesterday, sources tell Andrews (Twitter link). They were together for drives to and from testing and to the arena for last night’s game and didn’t appear to be wearing masks.
Although Durant has continued to test negative, the decision was made that he should quarantine for seven days due to his contact with the employee (Twitter link). All other Nets players and staff have tested negative, including tests conducted after the game (Twitter link).
Nash stated that the person Durant was in contact with isn’t the same one who caused his last quarantine, per Brian Lewis of The New York Post (Twitter link). Nash added that he trusts Durant’s judgment, along with all of his players, in matters involving the virus.
Durant will miss three games this week, starting with tonight’s contest in Philadelphia. Brooklyn also plays Tuesday at Detroit before returning home Wednesday against Indiana. If he continues to test negative, Durant’s next game will be his return to Golden State next Saturday.
The Nets are angry over how the NBA handled Durant’s situation, Lewis writes in a full story. The league ruled that Durant had to be scratched from the starting lineup, but then permitted him to play in the first quarter before deciding that he had to leave the game during the third quarter.
“We get tested every single day. He’s been negative, so I don’t understand what the problem is,” James Harden said. “If that was the case, the game should’ve been postponed. If we’re talking about contact tracing, he was around all of us, so I don’t understand why he was wasn’t allowed to play then was able to play and then taken back off.”
Bulls Fielding Calls On Thaddeus Young, Others
The Bulls are receiving plenty of attention from potential trade partners but it’s uncertain whether Arturas Karnisovas, their executive VP of basketball operations, is interested in making any deals, Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times reports.
The March 25 trade deadline is still in the distance but teams are looking increasingly at the Bulls to fortify their rotations, with power forward Thaddeus Young is drawing the most interest, according to Cowley. That confirms an earlier report that Young is the team’s most viable trade candidate.
Young’s contract could give teams some cap flexibility. He’s making approximately $13.5MM this season with a salary of $14.2MM next season. However, only $6MM of next season’s salary is guaranteed.
Young, 32, has played 982 career games but he’s still got something left in the tank. In 17 games this season off the bench, the veteran is averaging 11.1 PPG, 5.4 RPG, 4.3 APG and 1.1 SPG.
There are some strong reasons for Karnisovas to hold onto Young. He’s highly respected in the locker room and the Bulls can contend for a playoff berth this season. They’re 8-13 but only five Eastern Conference teams currently have winning records.
Quite a few others on the Bulls’ roster could attract interest. Certainly, Zach LaVine and Lauri Markkanen could give contenders an offensive jolt if the Bulls were willing to part with either one of their top two scorers. They also have several players — Otto Porter Jr., Cristiano Felicio, Garrett Temple and Denzel Valentine — in the final year of their contracts. Additionally, Tomas Satoransky‘s $10MM salary for next season is only partially guaranteed for $5MM.
Christian Wood To Be Re-Evaluated On Weekly Basis
Rockets center Christian Wood will be re-evaluated on a weekly basis for his right ankle sprain, the team announced on Friday in a press release.
He underwent an MRI on Friday after suffering the injury during the third quarter of Thursday’s game at Memphis. While the release didn’t indicate the severity of the sprain, it’s likely that Wood is facing a prolonged absence, Jonathan Feigen of the Houston Chronicle tweets.
It’s a major blow to one of the league’s hottest teams. The Rockets have won seven of their last eight games to get past the .500 mark at 11-10. Houston has a busy February schedule with 13 games remaining this month and it’s quite possible Wood will miss most or all of those games.
He sat out three games late last moth with a similar injury but otherwise, Wood has built upon his breakout season with Detroit.
Acquired by Houston in a sign-and-trade, Wood has emerged as an All-Star candidate, averaging 22.0 PPG, 10.2 RPG and 1.5 BPG through 17 games.
Without him, the team will rely more heavily on DeMarcus Cousins, Rodions Kurucs and trade candidates P.J. Tucker and Danuel House.
Dellavedova: I’m Not Ready To Retire
Matthew Dellavedova has been dealing with the after-effects of a major concussion but he has no plans to retire. The Cavaliers guard tweeted that he considers the brain injury a “temporary setback.”
“Retirement is not on my mind at all right now. Only focus is getting healthy and back with the boys to help make a playoff push,” Dellavedova wrote. “Cavs are playing good basketball and I’m definitely looking forward to being a part of what is getting built here. Injuries are frustrating but it’s a temporary setback and I’m looking forward to coming back from this better than before. Thank you and appreciate the well wishes.”
Dellavedova suffered the concussion during the team’s first preseason game. A report from The Athletic this week suggested that his linger symptoms could impede his basketball future. Dellavedova has experienced several concussions in his career.
He was re-signed on a one-year, veteran’s minimum deal in November.
“He’s taking steps, but they’re small steps,” Cavaliers head coach J.B. Bickerstaff recently said. “With the history that he has, with the concussions, we’re taking every caution that we possibly can to make sure that he’s gonna be fully recovered first before we do anything with him.”
Dellavedova, 30, appeared in 57 games with Cleveland last season. Over the past seven seasons with the Bucks and Cavaliers, Dellavedova has appeared in 434 games. He’s averaged 5.6 PPG and 3.7 APG in 20.4 MPG while making 36.8% of his 3-point shots.
