Now that December 15th has passed, most players in the NBA are eligible to be traded, meaning we should be in for a fun couple months up until the February 20th deadline. Big names like Derrick Williams and Rudy Gay have already been on the move so far, and other trade candidates like Omer Asik, Iman Shumpert, and Kyle Lowry have been the subject of numerous rumors in the season’s first few weeks. It all points to an active and eventful season of trading.
We’ll be following all of the latest trade rumors and news at Hoops Rumors over the next few days, weeks, and months, but we also have a number of tools that will make it easier to stay informed about potential deals. Here’s a round-up of a few links to consult or to keep an eye on as 2014’s trade deadline approaches:
- Most NBA players became trade-eligible as of December 15th, if they weren’t already, but there are still several players who can’t be moved. You can find that full list right here. Any player that has signed with a team since that list was published won’t become eligible to be traded in time for February’s deadline.
- We’ll be going in-depth on specific trade candidates as the deadline approaches, profiling why they might be moved, and where they may land. So far, our trade candidate series includes posts on Asik, Shumpert, and Luol Deng, among others.
- Here’s our up-to-date list of outstanding traded player exceptions, which over-the-cap teams can use to acquire a player without sending out any salary.
- If you fall behind on trade news, you can quickly catch up on any completed deals by checking out our log of 2013/14’s in-season trades.
- Our glossary explains a number of CBA rules and concepts related to trades, including traded player exceptions, trade kickers, the poison pill provision, and the Ted Stepien rule. If you have any questions about those rules or others, don’t hesitate to ask them in the comment sections of the appropriate posts.
- Earlier today, I went into more detail on the idea of trading future draft picks, using a few current examples to explain the rules.
- If you want to follow the latest rumors on a specific player, we explain how to do so right here.