Community Shootaround: Jeff Teague To The Sixers

Earlier this week, we learned that the Hawks and Sixers discussed a deal that would involve Jeff Teague going to Philadelphia and Nerlens Noel going to Atlanta. It was reported that Nik Stauskas and/or Robert Covington could also be on the move in the potential deal.

In tonight’s shootaround, tell us what you think about the rumored Teague-Noel deal and let us know your thoughts from each team’s perspective.

Should the Sixers bring aboard Teague in exchange for Noel and possibly other pieces or should they look to acquire a younger player who may better fit with the rest of the team’s core? Philadelphia reportedly has been shopping Jahlil Okafor and Noel with the goal of locating the best deal. Is this Teague trade it?

As for the Hawks, are they getting enough in return for an established veteran who was an All-Star last season and helped the team win three playoff series over the last two campaigns?

Please take to the comments section below to share your thoughts and opinions on the subject. We look forward to what you have to say.

70 Comments on "Community Shootaround: Jeff Teague To The Sixers"

_sturt_
_sturt_

From a Hawks perspective, I’m good with it except that I’d want to know what the plan is to replace Teague before I would endorse this. From Bud’s arrival, it’s been understood that the offense depends on a PG of Teague’s caliber to make on-the-fly decisions. I don’t see Schroder as that guy yet.

Alex
Alex

Then you didn’t watch at all last year he is fully capable of being at least what Teague is and more I think coach bud saw what he was doing in the playoffs and he has the go get it attitude that Teague doesn’t really have.

Andrew C.
Andrew C.
The Sixers should make acquiring the Celtic’s #3 pick their top priority and using that pick to get either Dunn or Murray (I’d personally take Murray, but that’s just a side note). I think they’re wasting time trying to get Teague. He’s a solid player that would definitely bring a better basketball culture to the team, but I think you could get more for Noel than that. It’d be better to get Schroder for Noel if the Hawks really want Noel. I’d personally try to trade Okafor before Noel. I’m assuming that the Sixers take Simmons with their pick, making… Read more »
Andrew C.
Andrew C.

As for Atlanta, they should be pushing hard to get this deal done. I don’t think Teague will be a Hawk for much longer and if he isn’t traded now, he will most likely be gone by next season’s trade deadline anyways. From the Hawk’s perspective, you’re essentially trading a solid expiring contract for a draft pick that’s ready to make significant contributions now and in the future (especially with Horford’s future in Atlanta being somewhat murky).

Alex
Alex

They are not giving up schroder he’s younger and is only getting better he will be and all star sooner than Teague was.

Tmandolfan
Tmandolfan
I’d rather the Sixers not trade Noel or Okafor until Embiid’s actually cleared to play and use the 24th pick on either Wayne Baldwin or Gary Payton Jr. but I seem to be in the minority. If I had to trade one or the other I ‘d sooner send Noel to Boston than Okafor but I’m also not excited about doing anything that might benefit Boston. Okafor to Phoenix for the 4th pick could still net the Sixers Murray or Dunn. Last but not least I’d much rather have Ingram than Simmons. Ingram could coexist and spread the floor with… Read more »
Jeff Dommel
Jeff Dommel
I felt the same way about Simmons until I saw that video of him draining 3s the other day. He’s been practicing. I still look at the kid and see a sf though. He’s not as lanky as Ingram but he’s no J. Noah, hell he’s not even Kevin Durant. I liked Ingram as a better fit but I’m coming around. I wouldn’t trade none of our bags unless it was to pull the number 2 pick. If I knew I was getting Ingram for oak than yeah . Still maybe not Noel. Defense wins games and no matter how… Read more »
padam
padam
I’m of the opinion that if the Sixers keep Noel, then draft Simmons. If they decide to keep Okafor, then draft Ingram. Those picks compliment the existing players, setting up a better situation for all involved. Personally, I wouldn’t trade either center for Teague – I believe he’s a free agent at the end of next season. I’d move Noel to the Suns for the 4th (hard to trade with the Celtics in the same division) and get one or two extra picks that they have stashed away as well. With the 4th they can get that young point guard,… Read more »

What would the Suns want with Noel? They already have Len and Chandler.

Andrewc62
Andrewc62

JT my point exactly. They’ll never trade that pick. They’re gonna get Jaylen brown at that spot if he’s still there, which of course he will be.

Z-A
Z-A

Chandlers getting dealt to a contender before the allstar break if he hadnt just inked a new deal he prob would have been traded this year.

padam
padam

Len? Really? And Chandler’s best days are behind him – better off the bench now.

Noel can play PF and is probably better suited there…and of course that’s if the Suns really believe that Len is the future.

lakersfan27
lakersfan27

Good take! I agree 100%

Alex
Alex

If I’m the Hawks I would push to get this deal done. Trade Teague and 1 or 2 second round picks for Noel, Stauskas, and Covington.

Bravoboy10
Bravoboy10
Yeah I’d do it in a heartbeat if I’m Atlanta. JT is a very solid PG, but they’re only chance to really improve involved getting something for him and Schroeder becoming the guy. Noel would free them up to dump Splitter and open some more room to add another guy before resigning Al. I’d love the fit of Covington too. They need a wing who can body bigger guys and grab a rebound, and he’s already a decent 3pt shooter. After seeing the Atlanta staff work on Demarre and Baze, I’d love to see what they could do with someone… Read more »
Chris
Chris

This deal seems to benefit Atlanta more than the Sixers. We need more explosiveness. The only thing I’m hesitant on is Noel can’t shoot well. That would change a lot of the dynamics on offense as well as defense. He’s young and has to learn the system. But the Hawks would try to develop Noel’s shot like they did Bazemore’s shot. I like the deal but it makes me wonder what’s gonna happen with Horford?? If this deal happens, it essentially puts Hardaway on the backburner. Overall, if you want value for Teague he needs to be traded now.

lakersfan27
lakersfan27

They keep Al and slide him over to the 4. I think Al fits better there. They have enough shooting all around so Noel won’t hurt them.

Chris
Chris

Also if Teagus goes, who would be Shroder’s backup? I have always liked the idea of starting Hardaway and having an aging Korver come off the bench. Hardaway is more explosive, can shoot the 3 effectively, can create his own shot and will continue to improve defensively. Korver would go against 2nd string players so he would still be effective bc he’s smart moving without the ball. I doubt we’ll get Durant so we should retool but not rebuild. Thoughts???

Lennix
Lennix

Worst trade I’ve seen in awhile. Makes no sense for Sixers. Only benefits ATL.

Garrett Brown
Garrett Brown
It makes sense for both teams, you look at the Sixers, they’r in desperate need of a point guard. Players like Isaiah Cannan & Ish Smith are good, but not the ones that’ll get you to the next level. Teague is more consistent and has playoff experience that Philly lacks in. For the Hawks, Noel is a guy that’ll help their rebounding woes & lack of rim protection. The rim protection is the most intriguing because Coach Bud has spoken highly on improving defensively and becoming the team they want to be. Therefore I think both sides must agree to… Read more »
agentx666
agentx666

Teague is almost 28 and can walk after this season. Makes no sense for the rebuilding Sixers to trade away a 22 year-old they still would have control over at the end of the season for a player that won’t even be on the team when they are contenders again.

Jeff
Jeff

The Sixers need everything except centers. Teague is an upgrade over Ish Smith, but he isn’t franchise changing. Teague is above average at best and will not resign with philly. So why give up our lone defensive specialist and 2 other starters for one year of serviceable PG play. It does not benefit the Sixers in any material way whatsoever

Andrewc62
Andrewc62

If I was them I would never trade for Teague, he’s obviously regressing and on an expiring deal. Noel has yet to realize his full potential. If they’re gonna trade one of their big men, trade Embiid, I’m sure there’s still a team that’s interesting in him. There are more then one team that needs a big man and has expendable guards. I.e the Magic

The Magic are not giving up Payton, Oladipo, or Fournier for Embiid…a guy who has yet to play a game. Embiid’s value is basically nothing until he plays a game. His potential and current ability means absolutely nothing if he never suits up.

Lefty_Orioles_Fan
Lefty_Orioles_Fan

See, if the the Sixers trade Noel, then they can’t trade Okafor.
Also, if they trade for Teague, then the Sixers cannot trade for Dunn
They could drop down to third and select Murray and pick up more draft choices I would assume they would if they went that route.
So who knows really.

Bottom line is I would love to see the Sixers get Murray for SG and Dunn for PG that would be my ideal out of all the scenarios the Sixers could do.
Keep Noel, trade Okafor and forget about Ingram and especially Simmons.

Phil Giampi
Phil Giampi

Draft Ingram and sign Rondo on a 2-year deal and groom your PG of the future whether it be a trade for Dunn or someone in the 2nd round.

Lefty_Orioles_Fan
Lefty_Orioles_Fan

Rondo is the reason why the Sixers fleeced the Kings last year.
It would be laughable if the Sixers got him.

C1
C1

The team with massive assets and cap space should target an old, negative, horrible shooting point guard. Stop it.

C1
C1

Teague is decent but the Sixers need to target Schroder or one of Phoenix’s point guards. Okafor is a premier talent and you don’t give that up for anything less than an all star level young player like Butler. There is no evidence that anyone in the current draft is going to be better than Okafor. The suggestion of trading Embiid is nonsense. Noel is a marginal player. He always will be.

Kevin
Kevin
Noel had 4 Win Shares in his rookie season for the 6ers and 3 win shares last year. Okafor had 1.2. Noel was a better player for them despite playing out of position. PPG IS NOT the only stat line to evaluate. Jahlil is a below average rebounder for his size and his ceiling defensively is to become.an average defender at best. He will never fit in with the team that they are trying to build. Okafor cannot exist with either Noel or Embiid and clogging the lane will limit Simmons and Saric effectiveness as well. The team performed much… Read more »