While the Lakers own the second overall pick in the NBA Draft, the team would not use it on UCLA product Lonzo Ball if the draft were today, according to Jordan Schultz of Bleacher Report (via Twitter).
Schultz reports that Los Angeles is “not convinced he’s a star” and is concerned about Ball’s outspoken father, LaVar Ball. After the Lakers secured the second pick last month, the elder Ball told Ryan Ward of Lakers Nation that his son would only work out for the Lakers. “That’s all. Just the Lakers,” Ball said. “There’s nobody else that we need to work out for.”
Ball, 19, has long been connected to the Lakers, both due to his local ties as an Anaheim native and at the behest of his father. The younger Ball reportedly rejected a workout with the Celtics, who hold the first overall pick, and, despite his father’s past comments, is in the process of setting up a meeting with the 76ers, who own the third overall pick.
A June 7 workout with the Lakers is set for Ball, and it may have to be exceptional to change their mind. As previously reported by Steve Kyler of Basketball Insiders, the Lakers’ interest in Kansas’ Josh Jackson and Kentucky’s De’Aaron Fox is growing and drafting Ball is far from a sure thing.
In his first and only season at UCLA, the 6’6″ point guard posted totals of 14.6 PPG and 7.6 APG in 36 contests.