Odds & Ends: Morrison, Turkoglu, Lin, Ginobili

Let's round up a few odds and ends from a busy day around the NBA….

  • Blazers coach Terry Stotts told the media today that summer signee Adam Morrison has a "legitimate" chance to make the team, according to Ben Golliver of Blazer's Edge (Twitter link).
  • Hedo Turkoglu says he'd like to finish his career with the Magic, tweets Joshua Robbins of the Orlando Sentinel.
  • Asked about the Knicks' decision to let Jeremy Lin walk in July, GM Glen Grunwald told the media that the Rockets made a commitment to Lin that New York wasn't prepared to make, and that Raymond Felton was a better fit for the Knicks. Marc Berman of the New York Post has the quotes.
  • Manu Ginobili expects to return to the Spurs if he continues playing when his contract expires at season's end, tweets Jeff McDonald of the San Antonio Express-News.
  • Jason Lloyd of the Akron Beacon Journal poses five burning questions facing the Cavaliers heading into the 2012/13 season. Among Lloyd's five: Whether Dion Waiters was the right choice in June's draft, and whether Anderson Varejao will finish the year with the Cavs.
  • Ben Wallace won't be in camp with the Pistons, since the team doesn't want to put him a position where it may have to cut him, tweets Vincent Goodwill of the Detroit News.
  • Appearing on KJR in Seattle, Mavericks owner Mark Cuban said he didn't think any NBA owner would stand in the way of the city of Seattle getting another NBA franchise (link via Sports Radio Interviews).
  • Former NBA veteran Jayson Williams tells ESPN.com's Matt Wong that he's healthy and misses the NBA, but stopped short of saying he's interested in making a comeback.

Southeast Rumors: Hawks, Wallace, Lewis, Bobcats

There was plenty of change throughout the Southeast Division, as the Magic, Hawks and Wizards pulled off significant trades while the Heat upgraded with Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis. The Bobcats are banking heavily on No. 2 overall pick Michael Kidd-Gilchrist to help turn the team around, and we have news on him and others from around the division.

  • Some in the Heat organization are concerned about the long-term health of Dwyane Wade, who could miss all of the team's preseason games as he hopes to get his ailing left knee ready for the regular season opener, writes Joseph Goodman of the Miami Herald. The team will give Allen occasional off days during the regular season, as the Spurs have done with Tim Duncan, Goodman adds.

Earlier updates:

 

Magic Sign Armon Johnson, DeQuan Jones

SEPTEMBER 29: The Magic confirmed the signings via press release.

SEPTEMBER 19: The Magic expect to sign Armon Johnson and DeQuan Jones to contracts, according to Brian Schmitz of the Orlando Sentinel (via Twitter). The additions, if and when they become official, would brings Orlando's roster to a total of 19 players.

Johnson, 23, was said to be seeking an NBA roster spot earlier this summer. He'll likely be on a non-guaranteed deal with the Magic and will face an uphill battle earning a spot on the roster, but given the team's lack of point guard depth, he should get a long look in training camp. The 6'3" guard has appeared in 47 games with the Trail Blazers and Nets over the last two seasons after being drafted 34th overall in 2010.

Jones, a 6'8" forward, was part of the Magic's summer league roster in Orlando this summer, averaging 6.0 points and 4.5 rebounds in four games. The 22-year-old went undrafted in June out of the University of Miami, where he played just 17.3 minutes per contest in his senior year.

Jameer Nelson Talks Smith, Van Gundy, Howard

Most of the Magic's offseason moves, most notably August's Dwight Howard blockbuster, indicated that the team was entering a full-on rebuilding process. However, one transaction that didn't seem to align with that approach was the team's re-signing of veteran point guard Jameer Nelson to a three-year deal that could pay him more than $25MM. Nelson will be one of the few core veteran players on a roster otherwise dominated by guys on rookie deals or bad contracts. He recently appeared on WYGM in Orlando to discuss his new role with the Magic, and Sports Radio Interviews transcribed a few of the highlights. Let's check them out….

On whether he approved of the team letting go of GM Otis Smith and head coach Stan Van Gundy:

"I’ve never said this publicly, but no, I wasn’t in favor of it. But I understand it’s a business. I had talks with Otis and Stan prior to the situation and after, so that tells you my relationship with those guys…. I just know that they put me in a great situation, being my coach and being my GM, and giving me opportunities…. But I also know that sometimes you need change and it’s not my decision to make the changes."

On his decision to re-sign with the Magic despite the looming front office and roster overhaul:

"The thing was, you have to make a business decision for yourself and your family when you’re dealing with any business…. After that, the thing I had to think about was, what’s my business going to be and where do I want to have my business? And I wouldn’t want to have it anywhere else but Orlando. I love the fans and the fans love me. They’ve definitely embraced myself and my family…. We feel like this is our home now."

On Howard being traded to the Lakers:

"He wanted a change and that’s what he got. My job, for Dwight and to Dwight, is to be a friend. I told him I was happy for him. I was happy for him to be able to move on with his career and I wished him best of luck and hoped he got his recovery and his rehab and everything went well…. We’d been together for X amount of years and it’s tough to see guys go, but like I said earlier, it’s always that business side of things."

On whether he and Howard had a falling out during Dwight's last days in Orlando:

“No. My agent actually told me that he read something saying that me and Dwight almost got into a fight and I just laughed it off. We’re grown men and anytime you’re competing, you’re going to have disagreements. That’s happened numerous amount of times and not just last year…. Everything and anything was just kind of taken out of proportion. And also we were watched closely. We never got into a scuffle, never got into a bad situation and we still remain friends to this day.”

Odds & Ends: Grizzlies, Young, Bell, Thunder

Earlier today, we heard Grizzlies power forward Darrell Arthur had suffered a leg fracture, and the team's website reports the left leg injury will keep him out four to six weeks. The timetable is longer for center Hamed Haddadi, who'll be rehabbing for the next eight weeks after right thumb surgery, according to the team. Since Marreese Speights enters camp as the only healthy big man on a guaranteed deal behind Marc Gasol and Zach Randolph, the injuries could represent an opportunity for camp invitees Jerome Jordan, Jarrid Famous and Michael Dunigan. Here's the rest of what's happening around the Association:

  • Nick Young expressed his excitement about his new Sixers teammates to reporters today, including Dei Lynam of CSNPhilly.com. He also spoke about how he ended up in Philadelphia. "I was shocked. I didn’t see this being one of the places I was going to come to," he said. "(Coach) Doug (Collins) called me early, 6:00am L.A. time, and we were just talking and it was a great talk. He had a good spirit to him. He talked to my dad and my mom and once my mom started raving about him that was pretty much it."
  • Brian T. Smith of The Salt Lake Tribune hears that Raja Bell and the Jazz haven't made any progress toward a buyout with the start of training camp looming just five days from now (Twitter links). 
  • Jenni Carlson of The Oklahoman believes the Thunder are willing to become a taxpaying team to retain James Harden, but the question is just how much they're willing to dole out.
  • Josh Robbins of the Orlando Sentinel has details on some of the 23 new members of the Magic front office, coaching and scouting staffs, including recently retired guard Anthony Parker, who'll work as a scout.
  • James Worthy's favorite offseason addition for the Lakers is Steve Nash, and the Hall-of-Fame forward has some strong criticism of Dwight Howard, as Kevin Ding of the Orange County Register writes

J.J. Redick Seeks Long-Term Deal From Magic

The Magic are clearly rebuilding, but J.J. Redick isn't anxious to jump to a team that's closer to winning, and has expressed his desire to stay in Orlando for the long haul to GM Rob Hennigan and coach Jacque Vaughn, reports John Denton of OrlandoMagic.com. Redick is entering the final season of a three-year, $20.19MM contract, but is ineligible for an extension since his deal is for less than four years. That means any new pact between Redick and the Magic would have to wait until next summer.

"I love playing here and I love playing for Orlando. I love representing our fans and our city," the 28-year-old shooting guard said. "But I understand it’s a transition year for our organization. I’ve had conversations with Rob and we’re both on the same page with my future going forward. I’ve given him my commitment that as long as I’m in Orlando and wearing a Magic uniform that I’m going to be a pro and give everything like I always have. He knows that and respects that and we’ll be fine." 

Redick is optimistic that the team will be better than most expect, but since the Magic figure to finish at or near the bottom of the standings this season, an overachievement may still leave them well short of the playoffs. The focus is clearly on the future in Orlando following the Dwight Howard trade that brought back draft picks and cap space, but it could be multiple years before the team returns to the postseason. Still, it seemed apparent Howard was on his way out of town when Jameer Nelson re-signed with the Magic for another three years this summer, so Redick isn't the only veteran willing to stick around. 

The Magic may have other plans, as they're reportedly looking to trade some of their vets. Since Redick is ineligible for an extension, he'll spend the whole season on an expiring contract, which makes him an attractive trade chip. Even if he remains on the club for all of 2012/13, the Magic may be hesitant to tie up some of its cap space with him, unless he's willing to sign at a discount or come back on either a one- or two-year-deal.

There's a touch of irony that Redick wants to stay with the Magic now that they're expected to lose a lot of games, since he signed his existing contract as an offer sheet from the Bulls in 2010, one year after the Magic made the NBA Finals. The Magic matched the offer sheet that summer, and elected to retain him this offseason rather than waive him before the final year of his deal, worth $6.19MM, became guaranteed. Redick, whom the Magic drafted 11th overall in 2006, averaged 11.6 points, 2.5 assists and 2.3 rebounds with a 15.1 PER last season, all of which are career highs. He started 22 games, the first time he's started more than nine games in any season.  

Southeast Rumors: Heat, Dooling, Carter, Magic

The defending champion Heat have been in the news a lot over the summer, and today is no exception, as the agent for former Celtics guard Keyon Dooling denied a report that his client is reconsidering his decision to retire and wants to play with Miami. If that report were true, and Dooling wound up joining the Heat, it's safe to say the Boston-Miami rivalry would become the league's most intense, if it isn't already at that point. Ira Winderman points out that Udonis Haslem has already reached out to new teammate Ray Allen to smooth over any hard feelings that might have been lingering from Allen's time with the Celtics (Sulia link). While the Heat might look out of the Southeast Division for their chief rivalry, the rest of the division's teams would probably like nothing more than to score at least one win against the Heat this year. Here's the latest from the Southeast.

  • Chris Tomasson of Fox Sports Florida says he's received an email from Dooling that seconds his agent's denial of the report that he might come back (Sulia link). "No truth!'' Dooling wrote. "I will never play NBA ball again.'' 

Earlier updates:

  • Amidst notes on the Raptors, Doug Smith of the Toronto Star reveals that the Magic interviewed former Toronto head man Butch Carter for the coaching job that wound up going to Jacque Vaughn.
  • Brian Schmitz of the Orlando Sentinel, in the same report that links Dooling to the Heat, says some of the Magic's veterans, principally Al Harrington, will be on the trading block. He says the team will likely try to move Harrington at the deadline for an expiring contract, draft picks or both as it continues its rebuild.
  • GM Rob Hennigan has also been retooling the Magic basketball operations department, as Schmitz writes in the same piece, having hired 23 new employees.
  • HoopsWorld writers preview the Hawks, and while they conclude the team figures to be the second best in the division, Atlanta will remain in transition as GM Danny Ferry plots how to manage the financial flexibility he obtained this summer.

Eastern Notes: Magic, Sixers, Nets, Celtics

The biggest NBA news of the day so far has come out of Philadelphia, where the 76ers are announced Tony DiLeo's promotion to general manger. SI.com's Sam Amick has a few additional details on the move, including some other names that the Sixers pursued. According to Amick, the Sixers were turned down when they asked permission to speak to Jazz executive Kevin O'Connor and Thunder exec Troy Weaver. Here are a few more Friday notes out of the Eastern Conference:

  • Harkless' and Smith's injuries will not be healed in time for the regular season, keeping them out of the Magic lineup until mid-November, Schmitz writes, updating his earlier tweet (below).

Earlier updates:

  • Amick adds that the 76ers may still hire a more analytically-inclined executive to work alongside DiLeo in the Philadelphia front office.
  • Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov had praise for GM Billy King and coach Avery Johnson, whose contracts are set to expire at season's end. Stefan Bondy of the New York Daily News passes along Prokhorov's quotes in a pair of tweets.
  • Al Harrington, Maurice Harkless, and Ish Smith, all recovering from offseason surgery, are expected to miss training camp, tweets Brian Schmitz of the Orlando Sentinel. All three players were added by the Magic this summer.
  • J.J. Redick understands that the Magic are in a transition year, but says he loves playing in Orlando and that he and GM Rob Hennigan are "on the same page" when it comes to his future (Twitterlinks via John Denton of OrlandoMagic.com).
  • A. Sherrod Blakely of CSNNE.com looks into which Celtics on non-guaranteed contracts are the best bets to earn a roster spot, concluding that Dionte Christmas is a clear-cut favourite.
  • Raja Bell tells Andy Slater of 640 AM Sports in Miami that the Heat would be his first choice in free agency if he can work out a buyout with the Jazz (Sulia link via Ira Winderman of the South Florida Sun Sentinel).
  • In his latest mailbag for the Sun Sentinel, Winderman debates whether the Heat or Celtics had the better offseason and examines where Miami's roster stands.

Free Agent Notes: Spurs, Pargo, Aguilar, Kennedy

The Spurs worked out unrestricted free agents Tracy McGrady and Josh Howard recently, and while San Antonio may not sign either player, the team has a history of signing veteran free agents, says LeAnna Kosub of the San Antonio Express-News. In a lengthy list, Kosub recalls some of the Spurs' more memorable veteran acquisitions, including Robert Horry, Michael Finley, and Antonio McDyess. As McGrady and Howard continue to look for work, here's the latest on a few other free agents that also remain unsigned:

  • Jannero Pargo is in discussions with a few NBA teams, agent Mark Bartelstein tells Shams Charania of RealGM.com. Pargo, who ranks among the top scorers, shooters, and distributors still on the free agent market, hopes to sign an NBA deal before training camps begin.
  • Last Tuesday, we heard that former Philippine Basketball Association first overall pick Japeth Aguilar had a workout scheduled with the Spurs and was trying to line one up with the Magic. Now, Joseph Pimentel of ABS-CBN News reports that two NBA teams have contacted Aguilar's agent about the 6'9" forward. The description of the teams (one Eastern Conference club and one Western team that's a "top-five" squad) seems to fit the Magic and Spurs, but the report suggests that these potential suitors are different from the two that worked out Aguilar last week. Either way, the 25-year-old is hoping to earn a training-camp invite in the coming weeks.
  • D.J. Kennedy isn't technically a free agent yet, but after being waived by the Grizzlies, he's expected to clear waivers and hit unrestricted free agency. Keith Schlosser of Ridiculous Upside wonders if a return to the D-League is in the cards for Kennedy.

Odds & Ends: Bucks, Wolves, McGee, Cook, Mavs

Charles F. Gardner of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel checks in with several Bucks who are working out prior to the opening of training camp. Joining the workout are a few hopefuls who are auditioning for a formal invitation to camp, and that group includes Alando Tucker, the 29th overall pick in the 2007 draft, and Orien Greene, a four-year NBA vet who last played with the Nets in 2010/11. It's been a busy night as teams make their final moves before training camp, and we've got several more tidbits here:

Show all