Mikhail Prokhorov is reportedly working toward a deal that would give him 100% ownership of both the Nets and the Barclays Center. The would-be arrangement would entail Prokhorov’s company, which already owns 80% of the Nets and 45% of the arena, forgiving the approximately $31MM debt that former majority owner Bruce Ratner’s Forest City Enterprises owes them. Prokhorov and the Guggenheim Partners apparently had talks a year ago about a merging of ownership, months after a report indicated that Prokhorov was listening to offers for the Nets. Those Guggenheim talks were said to have hit a snag, though rumors that Prokhorov had interest in selling the Nets have persisted. Prokhorov has repeatedly downplayed such talk.
Here’s a look back at more news from the week that was…
Free Agent Signings
- The Heat signed undrafted small forward Greg Whittington to a training camp deal.
- The Clippers signed Chuck Hayes.
- The Lakers signed Brazilian point guard Marcelo Huertas.
- The Bucks reached a contract agreement with Charlie Westbrook.
- The Kings and Eric Moreland reached an agreement on a one-year deal.
- The Rockets agreed to training camp deals with Denzel Livingston, Will Cummings, Remi Yusuf and Chris Walker.
- The Heat agreed to sign undrafted free agent Briante Weber.
- The Pistons agreed to a deal with unrestricted free agent small forward Eric Griffin.
- The Sixers agreed to a deal with Kendall Marshall.
- The Bucks agreed to a non-guaranteed contract with Josh Powell.
You can stay up to date on all of the signings with Hoops Rumors’ free agent tracker.
- Unrestricted free agent Will Cherry officially signed with the German club Alba Berlin.
- The Celtics extended their exclusive affiliation with the D-League’s Maine Red Claws through the 2017/18 season.
- Clippers guard Austin Rivers signed with ASM Sports for representation.
- DeAndre Jordan parted ways with Relativity Sports agents Dan Fegan and Jarinn Akana.
- Unrestricted free agent Landry Fields will miss five months after having labrum surgery on his hip.
- Grizzlies 2015 first-rounder Jarell Martin will be out indefinitely after fracturing his left foot.
- Unrestricted free agent power forward Glen Davis underwent surgery to repair torn ligaments, a cyst, and bone spurs in his left ankle, and he is expected to be out of action for two-to-three months.
- Former Blazers small forward Victor Claver officially signed with Lokomotiv Kuban of Russia.
- The Jazz hired Jordan Brady as an assistant coach for their D-League affiliate.
- Unrestricted free agent Jeff Ayres agreed to a deal with an unnamed Chinese team.
- Former No. 4 overall pick Tyrus Thomas signed with Eisbären Bremerhaven of Germany.
- Jazz point guard Dante Exum underwent successful surgery to repair damage to the ACL in his left knee. He will be out of action indefinitely.
- Platinum Equity founder and Pistons owner Tom Gores is buying his firm’s stake in the team, which would give him 100% ownership of the franchise.