Hoops Rumors Community Shootaround 3/27/16

Chicago entered the season with hopes of challenging LeBron James and Cleveland for the Eastern Conference crown. How did it go for the Bulls? Injuries derailed any hope of an NBA Finals appearance and just making the playoffs seems unlikely after three straight losses, all against teams with losing records. At 36-36, the Bulls sit two games behind the Pistons and Pacers for one of the last two playoff spots in the conference.  If Chicago misses the playoffs for the first time since the 2007/08 campaign, the roster could see a serious overhaul this summer.

Joakim Noah may have played his last game in a Bulls uniform, as he will be a free agent come July. Pau Gasol will likely opt out of his deal and become a free agent as well. Taj Gibson was the subject of trade rumors leading up to the trade deadline, so he is no lock to remain in town, and if the front office doesn’t believe Derrick Rose and Jimmy Butler can find the ideal on-court chemistry, it may be time to look at trade options for Rose while the point guard still has one year remaining on his deal.

The Bulls have talent, and they own all of their future first-rounders in addition to a top-10 protected 2016 first-rounder from Sacramento. This team could easily retool and get itself back into the upper echelon of the Eastern Conference. How should the team go about improving? That’s tonight’s shootaround topic: What moves should the Bulls make this summer? We’re asking you to sit in GM Gar Forman‘s chair and make the tough calls. Take to the comments section to share your thoughts and opinions on the subject. We look forward to what you have to say!

26 Comments on "Hoops Rumors Community Shootaround 3/27/16"

John
John
Cant rid Hoiberg. 5 years/25 million contract and still paying Thibs last year. So keep Rose, Butler, Mirotic , McDermott , Portis. I love Noah but we have to get he and Gasol off the books. That’s 13 and 7 million respectively. Go after Hassan Whiteside C from Miami with that cash. The cap will go up so the Bulls have space to make more moves. Go after Bazemore SF with 12-15 million. Trade Snell for a second rounder /mad or cash ( 2 million savings). Trade buy out Biastow ( only 50 percent of his salary is guaranteed 500k).… Read more »
Ben
Ben

Exactly what I was thinking. Hassan has star written all over him. Or we should pursue Harrison Barnes and draft a center. Many options on the table come this summer.

peter
peter
I would do a Complete Overhaul with the exception of keeping Mirotic, Mc Dermott, and Portis. Everyone else needs to go. I’d trade Jimmy Butler to Boston since they have all those picks. I would work out a Buyout with Rose because no one will trade for him. Also I would trade Taj for a late first Rd pick. I would let both Gasol and Noah go. I would also trade Dunleavy for a draft pick. I would build a team that would fit Fred Hoiberg’s system. Last but not Least Both Paxson and Gar Foreman must be fired. I… Read more »
Hchiller
Hchiller

Why would u trade butler. He’s the only thing good for the Bulls! U keep stars not trade them

soxfanjh
soxfanjh

That roster still doesn’t seem like it would be able to compete against Cleveland unless Rose turned into 2011 form (which isn’t happening) I think there needs to be some MAJOR retooling besides that. Getting Noah and gasol off the books is a good idea but the Bulls need literally a superstar to contend to play with Rose and butler.

Bikram
Bikram

You’re right on! I agree with everything you’ve said. Bazemore would be a good addition, an athletic wing that shoot and play defense. Having Whiteside will help solidify our now soft defense in our paint, plus he’s starting to bloom offensively in the coming years. In addition to that, the only way we will get these moves done, is if we get rid of our incompetent front office.

Arthur Hill
Admin

Whiteside would be a great addition, but he stands to make up to $22MM in the first year of a max contract? Would you risk that much to get him?

Derrick Rose Fan
Derrick Rose Fan
Jimmy Butler & Derrick Rose will not work on the same team it’s not going to happen. Trade Rose for a 1st Rd maybe to New York or Houston because I think he’d be good with harden because hes a shooter. Gasol must go its not going to work either as well Noah his talents won’t be used with hoiberg. Tony snell has to be packed up in some kind of trade or be cut he’s not a NBA basketball player. If Rose is traded point guard & small forward will be main positions draft either of those (point guard)… Read more »
lucas
lucas

I’d keep rose, jimmy, niko, taj, mcB,ET,bobby, dunleavy, Joe(at the minimun $$ possible) and felicio. cut brooks tony bairtow and who ever is left, sadly i think the draft won’t help, we do not have the eye for the talent. Maybe whiteside…I don’t know

Rio
Rio
I’m not really sure what to say the bulls are a mess from top to bottom in my opinion the first move should be fire Paxson and forman the second should be hire a very COMPETENT gm and vice president of operations then no disrespect to pau but they should let him walk he’s too soft and teams are always going to kill the bulls on the high pick and roll if you were going to keep one or the other i would rather have noah for the defense unless you can sign Whiteside the go after nic batum or… Read more »
Rio
Rio

First of all i don’t think the bulls should keep pau but if they do they need to do what the Lakers did and put players around him that can mask his defensive deficiencies

Chris
Chris

I completely agree with most of the sentiment out there. Snell,brooks,Barstow can go. Try to package pau and pick(s)for a legitimate Sg. Keep everyone else I think Noah either takes a reduce min but more important role if not package him for 2 way center established one of course. Look for back up Pg in fa. Shoot see if Noah will take a position in organization player coach somewhat. Butler will play better together. Your not going to get anything really or Gibson unless you talk to sixers for ohkifar

Steve Pasek
Steve Pasek

First change: fire GarPax. Second change: sell the team to a new owner. Barring those two, keep the guys under 30, draft some talent, let Dougie start next year, try to sign a pure shooter veteran in the offseason.

@CW_Crouse
@CW_Crouse

What veteran would you suggest?

John
John

Trade, buy out or cut Rose asap. He is a cancer that needs to be disposed of asap. Jo and Gasol gone via free agency. Keep Butler, Portis, Mirotic, McDermott and Moore. Trade Taj, Dunleavy, Brooks, Barstow and Snell. Go after Boggie Cousins and Hassan Whiteside and sign either. Go after Rudy Gay and Okafor. Fire Gar/Pax. I will not renew my season tickets of 25 years if Gar/Pax are not fired by NBA draft date.

cooncat
cooncat

If I’m Gar, I fire myself immediately, the man is the primary problem.

Ben
Ben

This is what I say, keep butler, Noah, McDermott, Portis, next season is a test for whether rose can stay healthy and if he can coexist with butler since they’ve barely played together. Trade dunleavy, let pau walk, same with brooks, snell, bairstow, go after bazemore, batum, Barnes, whiteside. Get a shooting guard in the draft and move butler to small forward. That way we have 3 ball handlers. Again many option to look at. Also fire garpax.