Hoops Links would like to send out a hearty congratulations to John Hollinger, the former ESPN.com scribe who was hired earlier this week as the Grizzlies' new Vice President of Basketball Operations. Hollinger was a pioneer in bringing advanced statistical analysis to the hardwood despite criticism from naysayers, not unlike the forefathers of baseball sabermetrics. Rockets GM Daryl Morey got his position thanks to his analytical abilities and T'Wolves President David Kahn ascended to his role after starting out as a sportswriter. Considering that Hollinger boasts both backgrounds, maybe his new gig isn't so suprising after all.
This week's edition of Hoops Links has more on Hollinger and much more from around the Association. If you have a great blog piece that you think we should feature next week, then send it to me at HoopsLinks@gmail.com. Here's this week's look around the blogosphere..
- The Sports Banter offers up three trades that make sense.
- Wages Of Wins explains the similarity between a shot and a turnover.
- The NBA Geek has Michael Kidd-Gilchrist as their rookie of the year.
- Hardwood Paroxysm sees an underdog in Jonny Flynn.
- 3 Shades Of Blue looks at who Hollinger may not be wild about in Memphis.
- NBA 24 7 365 is concerned about the Lakers.
- Pounding The Rock believes that the Spurs' offense has more to offer.
- SB Nation looks at the future of analytics in hoops.
- At The Hive reviews the Trevor Ariza–Emeka Okafor trade.
- Bright Side Of The Sun wonders if better three-point defense will result in more wins.
- Red94 is enthused about Jeremy Lin.
- Blazer's Edge goes to the mat with David Stern.
- A Wolf Among Wolves breaks down the J.J. Barea assist.
If you have a suggestion for this feature, Zach can be reached here.