Expiring contracts aren’t quite as coveted in trades as they used to be, in part because the shorter deals called for in the latest collective bargaining agreement makes them a plentiful commodity. They’re nonetheless useful trade chips as teams look to clear cap room for a star-studded 2014 free agent class.
The Lakers seem focused on pursuing free agents this summer, but if they had a change of plans and wanted to use some of their expiring contracts to trade for a player who could help them down the stretch this year, they have plenty to offer. They’re the only NBA team with as many as 10 expiring deals this year. Pau Gasol‘s nearly $19.3MM salary is the only expiring deal they have above $4MM, but they could package several of their small contracts for a trade if they wish.
The Trail Blazers are on the opposite end of the list, with just a pair of ending deals, both of which are for the minimum salary. If they start to falter after their hot start, they can’t look to expiring contracts to help them trade for an experienced hand.
This list includes de facto non-guaranteed players — those whose contracts aren’t fully guaranteed past this season — as well as players on deals that aren’t fully guaranteed this year or in subsequent seasons. It doesn’t include players who can’t be traded because they signed after November 19th, putting them within three months of the trade deadline. Teams can’t trade any player they sign for three months after the contract is finalized. Not all of the players below are immediately eligible to be traded, but all of them will become so before the deadline.
- Lakers (10): Pau Gasol, Steve Blake, Jordan Hill, Chris Kaman, Jodie Meeks, Jordan Farmar, Xavier Henry, Wesley Johnson, Shawne Williams, Ryan Kelly
- Jazz (9): Richard Jefferson, Andris Biedrins, Marvin Williams, Brandon Rush, Gordon Hayward, John Lucas III (de facto), Mike Harris, Ian Clark (non-guaranteed), Diante Garrett
- Raptors (9): John Salmons (de facto), Patrick Patterson, Greivis Vasquez, Amir Johnson (de facto), Kyle Lowry, Tyler Hansbrough (de facto), Austin Daye (de facto), Julyan Stone (non-guaranteed), Dwight Buycks (de facto)
- Wizards (9): Trevor Ariza, Marcin Gortat, Jan Vesely, Kevin Seraphin, Trevor Booker, Chris Singleton, Al Harrington, Garrett Temple, Glen Rice (de facto)
- Heat (8): Mario Chalmers, Shane Battier, Ray Allen, James Jones, Rashard Lewis, Michael Beasley, Roger Mason Jr., Greg Oden
- Magic (8): Hedo Turkoglu, Jameer Nelson (de facto), Jason Maxiell (de facto), Ronnie Price (de facto), Solomon Jones, E’Twaun Moore, Doron Lamb (de facto), Kyle O’Quinn (de facto)
- Mavericks (8): Dirk Nowitzki, Shawn Marion, Samuel Dalembert (de facto), Vince Carter, DeJuan Blair, Devin Harris, Jae Crowder (de facto), Bernard James
- Pelicans (8): Al-Farouq Aminu, Greg Stiemsma, Jason Smith, Darius Miller, Brian Roberts, Jeff Withey (de facto), Josh Childress, Louis Amundson
- Cavaliers (7): Andrew Bynum (non-guaranteed), Anderson Varejao (de facto), Earl Clark (de facto), Alonzo Gee (de facto), C.J. Miles, Henry Sims (non-guaranteed), Matthew Dellavedova (non-guaranteed)
- Hawks (7): Elton Brand, Gustavo Ayon, Jared Cunningham, Pero Antic (de facto), Shelvin Mack, Cartier Martin, Mike Scott
- Rockets (7): Ronnie Brewer (non-guaranteed), Omri Casspi (de facto), Chandler Parsons (de facto), Aaron Brooks, Greg Smith, Patrick Beverley (non-guaranteed), Robert Covington (de facto)
- 76ers (7): Evan Turner, Spencer Hawes, Lavoy Allen, James Anderson (de facto), Daniel Orton (non-guaranteed), Brandon Davies (non-guaranteed), Hollis Thompson (non-guaranteed)
- Bobcats (6): Ben Gordon, Ramon Sessions, Jeff Adrien, Jannero Pargo, Anthony Tolliver, Jeff Taylor (de facto)
- Celtics (6): Kris Humphries, Keith Bogans (de facto), Avery Bradley, Jordan Crawford, MarShon Brooks, Phil Pressey (de facto)
- Pacers (6): Danny Granger, Luis Scola (de facto), Lance Stephenson, Rasual Butler, Donald Sloan (de facto), Orlando Johnson (de facto)
- Pistons (6): Charlie Villanueva, Rodney Stuckey, Greg Monroe, Chauney Billups (de facto), Josh Harrellson (non-guaranteed), Peyton Siva (non-guaranteed)
- Suns (6): Emeka Okafor, Eric Bledsoe, Viacheslav Kravtsov, Ish Smith (de facto), P.J. Tucker, Dionte Christmas (non-guaranteed)
- Spurs (6): Tony Parker, Boris Diaw, Matt Bonner, Nando De Colo, Patrick Mills, Aron Baynes
- Bulls (5): Luol Deng, Kirk Hinrich, Mike James, Nazr Mohammed, Erik Murphy (non-guaranteed)
- Clippers (5): Jamal Crawford (de facto), Willie Green (de facto), Ryan Hollins, Antawn Jamison, Maalik Wayns
- Grizzlies (5): Ed Davis, Jerryd Bayless, Kosta Koufos (de facto), Mike Miller, Nick Calathes (de facto)
- Kings (5): Jimmer Fredette, Hamady N’Diaye, Isaiah Thomas, Aaron Gray, Quincy Acy (de facto)
- Knicks (5): Cole Aldrich, Kenyon Martin, Beno Udrih, Toure’ Murry, Chris Smith (de facto)
- Warriors (4): Jermaine O’Neal, Toney Douglas, Draymond Green (de facto), Kent Bazemore,
- Bucks (4): Caron Butler, Ekpe Udoh, Luke Ridnour, Khris Middleton (de facto)
- Nets (4): Paul Pierce, Shaun Livingston, Tornike Shengelia, Tyshawn Taylor
- Thunder (4): Thabo Sefolosha, Hasheem Thabeet (non-guaranteed), Derek Fisher, Ryan Gomes
- Nuggets (3): Andre Miller (de facto), Jordan Hamilton, Quincy Miller (de facto)
- Timberwolves (3): Dante Cunningham, A.J. Price, Robbie Hummel
- Trail Blazers (2): Earl Watson, Will Barton (de facto)
ShamSports was used in the creation of this post.