The Warriors, coming off a record-setting season and poised to earn a second consecutive title if they can win one of two games this week against the Cavaliers, are in a pretty good spot. The team’s three most important players – Klay Thompson, Draymond Green, and Stephen Curry – remain under contract for 2016/17, and their salaries are very affordable, given how much they’ve contributed on the court over the last couple seasons.
Still, Golden State will have some decisions to make this offseason. The team has four players headed for unrestricted free agency, with four more eligible for restricted free agency, including Harrison Barnes and Festus Ezeli. Is Barnes worth a near-max salary if the Warriors can’t lure top free agent target Kevin Durant to the Bay Area? With Curry due for a max contract of his own in 2017, the Dubs’ core will start to get very expensive very soon, so it’s not a given that pricey complementary players like Barnes, Andre Iguodala, and Andrew Bogut will be around for the long term.
See how Golden State’s cap situation looks for 2016/17 as Hoops Rumors continues its offseason salary cap digest series.
- Klay Thompson ($16,663,575)
- Draymond Green ($15,330,435)
- Stephen Curry ($12,112,359)
- Andre Iguodala ($11,131,368)
- Andrew Bogut ($11,027,027)
- Shaun Livingston ($3,000,000) — Partial guarantee; non-guaranteed portion listed below1
- Kevon Looney ($1,182,840)
- (Jason Thompson $945,126) — Salary remaining from release via stretch provision
- Total: $71,392,730
- Shaun Livingston ($2,782,450) — Partial guarantee; guaranteed portion listed above1
- Harrison Barnes ($5,194,227/$9,683,495)
- Festus Ezeli ($3,013,123/$5,021,870)
- Ian Clark ($1,215,696/$1,215,696)
- James Michael McAdoo ($1,180,431/$1,180,431)
- Totals: $10,603,477/$17,101,492
Unrestricted Free Agents (Cap Holds)
- Marreese Speights ($7,248,500)
- Leandro Barbosa ($3,250,000)
- Brandon Rush ($980,431)
- Anderson Varejao ($980,431)
- Total: $12,459,362
Other Cap Holds
Projected Salary Cap: $92,000,000
- Livingston’s full $5,782,450 salary will become guaranteed if he’s still on the roster beyond June 30th.
The Basketball Insiders salary pages were used in the creation of this post.