Coming off a 44-win season, the Pistons looked poised to take another step forward in the Eastern Conference in 2016/17, but many of Detroit’s key young contributors didn’t make the improvements the club had anticipated.
Andre Drummond, Reggie Jackson, Tobias Harris, and Kentavious Caldwell-Pope – all in their early- to mid-20s – essentially put up the same numbers last season that they did the year before, or took a step backward in terms of overall production. In Jackson’s case, his struggles could be chalked up largely to injury issues, but that doesn’t change the end result — the Pistons slipped in the standings due in large part to the lack of internal growth, finishing the season with a 38-44 mark.
While the team was essentially capped out and couldn’t make major changes over the summer, Detroit did swap out Caldwell-Pope, Marcus Morris, and Aron Baynes for a new group of contributors that includes Avery Bradley, Langston Galloway, and Anthony Tolliver. Rookie marksman Luke Kennard also enters the picture to help make up for losing KCP’s outside shooting.
The Pistons seem hopeful that those roster tweaks – along with improvements from the likes of Jackson, Drummond, and Harris – will allow the team to get back above .500, but oddsmakers aren’t as optimistic. Offshore betting site Bovada has the Pistons’ over/under mark right about where it was last year — 38.5 wins.
What do you think? Is this Pistons team ready to bounce back and get back in the playoff picture out East, or is Detroit in for more of the same this season? Vote below and jump into the comments section to share your thoughts!
Trade Rumors app users, click here to vote.
Previous over/under voting results:
- Golden State Warriors: Over 67.5 (53.57%)
- Boston Celtics: Over 55.5 (63.5%)
- Houston Rockets: Over 55.5 (65.57%)
- San Antonio Spurs: Over 54.5 (67.74%)
- Cleveland Cavaliers: Over 53.5 (68.82%)
- Oklahoma City Thunder: Over 50.5 (71.77%)
- Minnesota Timberwolves: Over 48.5 (55.69%)
- Toronto Raptors: Over 48.5 (64.21%)
- Washington Wizards: Over 47.5 (71.29%)
- Milwaukee Bucks: Over 47.5 (63.88%)
- Denver Nuggets: Under 45.5 (50.44%)
- Los Angeles Clippers: Over 43.5 (60.7%)
- Miami Heat: Over 43.5 (55.39%)
- Charlotte Hornets: Over 42.5 (51.07%)
- Portland Trail Blazers: Over 42.5 (56.3%)
- Philadelphia 76ers: Under 41.5 (53.37%)
- Utah Jazz: Over 41.5 (55.94%)
- New Orleans Pelicans: Over 39.5 (65.26%)