With the 2021/22 NBA season underway, our calendar of important 2021 preseason dates and deadlines can be retired in favor of a list of the key in-season dates for the ’21/22 campaign. Here’s a breakdown of the deadlines and events that will influence player movement for the next several months across the NBA:
- NBA G League draft.
- NBA G League training camps open.
- Deadline for teams to exercise rookie scale options for 2022/23.
- NBA G League Showcase Cup begins.
- Priority order for waiver claims is now based on 2021/22 record, rather than 2020/21 record. Teams with the worst records receive the highest waiver priority.
- Most offseason signees become eligible for inclusion in trades.
- NBA G League Winter Showcase and Showcase Cup championship.
- NBA G League regular season begins.
- First day teams can sign players to 10-day contracts.
- Last day to waive non-guaranteed NBA contracts before they become guaranteed for the rest of the season. Salaries officially guarantee on January 10 if players haven’t cleared waivers before that date.
- The value of teams’ unused mid-level exceptions and bi-annual exceptions begins to prorate downward by 1/174th per day.
- Most other offseason signees become eligible for inclusion in trades.
- Last day to apply for a disabled player exception.
- Salaries for all two-way contracts become fully guaranteed.
- Former first-round picks who were stashed overseas may sign rookie scale NBA contracts for the 2022/23 season.
- Trade deadline (2:00pm CT).
- All-Star Weekend in Cleveland.
- Last day for contract renegotiations.
- Last day a player can be waived by one team and remain eligible to appear in the postseason for another team.
- Last day for a restricted free agent to sign an offer sheet.
- Last day to use a disabled player exception.
- NBA G League regular season ends.
- NBA G League playoffs begin.
- Last day of the NBA regular season.
- Last day players can sign contracts for 2021/22
- Last day two-way contracts can be converted to standard NBA contracts.
- Luxury tax penalties calculated based on payroll as of this day.
- Playoff rosters set (2:00pm CT).
- NBA play-in tournament.
- NBA playoffs begin.