Jalen Brunson Doing Controlled Workouts, Likely To Miss At Least Another Week
Knicks guard Jalen Brunson, who has been sidelined since March 6 with a sprained right ankle, continues to make progress toward a return. The team announced (via Twitter) that he has started doing controlled court work, and his status will be updated in “approximately one week.”
Tonight will mark the eighth game that Brunson has missed since suffering the injury in the closing minutes of an overtime loss to the Lakers. New York has gone 3-4 since then and remains in third place in the East, three games ahead of Indiana.
With their playoff position virtually set, there’s no reason for the Knicks to bring back Brunson before he’s fully healed. A report earlier this week said he’s out of his walking boot and has been cleared to do some “light shooting.”
ESPN’s Shams Charania stated last Saturday that the severity of Brunson’s ankle injury make it “more of a three- to four-week minimum return time frame.”
Brunson is in the midst of another stellar season, averaging 26.3 points, 3.0 rebounds and 7.4 assists per night and making his second straight All-Star appearance. He’s a strong contender for All-NBA honors, but he’ll have to play four more times to meet the NBA’s 65-game criteria.
Anthony Davis Could Return During Mavs’ Upcoming Road Trip
There’s increasing optimism that Mavericks big man Anthony Davis will have a chance to return to action during the team’s upcoming four-game road trip, reports NBA insider Marc Stein (Substack link).
Davis, who has been sidelined by an adductor strain since his Mavs debut on February 8, practiced with the Texas Legends in the G League multiple times this week and got through those sessions without experiencing any setbacks. As Stein relays, head coach Jason Kidd said last night that it was a “positive day” on Friday for Davis and fellow injured big men Dereck Lively and Daniel Gafford, who also practiced with the Legends.
While Kidd said there’s “no timetable” for any of them to return, he expressed hope about having all three centers back this season, and Stein suggests Davis is the furthest along of the three in his recovery process. He has advanced to 5-on-5 play, while Lively and Gafford have reportedly only done 3-on-3 work.
The Mavericks’ four-game Eastern Conference swing will begin on Monday in Brooklyn and also includes stops in New York (Tuesday), Orlando (Thursday), and Chicago (next Saturday). Stein, who previously reported that Davis is “very eager” to resume playing, suggests it’s possible we could see him in one or more of those games.
There had been speculation following Davis’ adductor injury that the Mavericks may simply shut him down for the rest of the season and focus on 2025/26, especially after Kyrie Irving suffered a torn ACL. However, there was never any indication from Dallas that the team was seriously considering that route, especially with a postseason berth still within reach.
Although they sit at No. 11 in the Western Conference right now, the Mavericks are tied with the No. 10 Suns at 34-37 and are just two games back of the No. 9 Kings (35-34). Even without Irving, an otherwise healthy version of this Mavs team could cause problems for opponents in the postseason, and making or missing the play-in tournament is unlikely to significantly impact their draft position.
NBA Fines Trendon Watford, Myles Turner, Andrew Nembhard
Nets forward Trendon Watford, Pacers center Myles Turner, and Pacers guard Andrew Nembhard were each fined by the NBA on Friday night for their roles in a Thursday altercation, according to a press release from the league (Twitter link).
Watford and Turner were hit with fines of $35K apiece, while Nembhard received a $20K penalty.
As we detailed earlier today, the altercation began as Bennedict Mathurin was driving to Brooklyn’s basket for a layup during the fourth quarter of Indiana’s victory. Watford and Nembhard engaged in a little pushing and shoving away from the play before Turner entered the fray and shoved Watford (YouTube link via ESPN). Both teams got involved at that point, with coaches and officials eventually separating the two sides.
Nembhard and Watford received double technical fouls for their exchange, as did Turner and Watford for theirs. As a result of being hit with two technicals, Watford was automatically ejected from the game.
According to the NBA, Nembhard and Watford were both responsible for initiating the skirmish, but Watford escalated it when he “delivered a right forearm to (Nembhard’s) chest region.” Turner was also considered to have escalated matters by shoving Watford.
Relative to their full-season salaries, the fines are more significant for Watford, who is earning $2.73MM, and Nembhard ($2.02MM) than they are for Turner, whose cap hit this season is $19.93MM.
Hawks’ Clint Capela Out At Least 3-4 Weeks With Hand Injury
Clint Capela has been diagnosed with a ligament injury in the fourth metacarpal of his left hand, according to the Hawks, who announced (via Twitter) that the veteran center will be out at least three-to-four weeks as he rehabilitates.
It’s worth noting that Atlanta says Capela will be reevaluated in three-to-four weeks, not that he’s expected to return at that time. The 30-year-old underwent an MRI on Monday which revealed the injury, per the team.
Although the Hawks didn’t outright say it, Capela will almost certainly miss the remainder of the 2024/25 regular season, which concludes on April 13. Depending on how they fare in the postseason — they’re currently the No. 7 seed in the East — it’s possible he might be able to return at some point later next month.
It’s unclear when Capela sustained the injury, but Lauren L. Williams of The Atlanta Journal-Constitution hears it occurred earlier this month and he initially tried to play through it (Twitter link). Capela has missed the past four games, with his most recent injury designation being personal reasons.
Capela was a longtime starter for the Hawks, but the Swiss big man was moved to the second unit in late January, having been supplanted by Onyeka Okongwu. Capela has averaged 8.9 points, 8.5 rebounds and 1.0 block in 55 games this season (21.4 minutes per contest).
Obviously, it’s unfortunate news for the Hawks, who have already lost Jalen Johnson and Kobe Bufkin to season-ending shoulder injuries. They’ve also been playing without backup big man Larry Nance Jr., who has been out since mid-February due to a knee injury. He’s set to be reevaluated next week.
It’s a disappointing setback on a personal level as well — Capela will be an unrestricted free agent this summer.
With Capela out, the Hawks have been utilizing small-ball lineups off the bench, with forwards like Georges Niang and Dominick Barlow receiving more playing time. That figures to continue for the time being.
Stephen Curry Out Saturday With Pelvic Contusion
The Warriors received some promising news on Friday, as Stephen Curry‘s MRI confirmed a pelvic contusion but revealed no structural damage, the team announced in a press release (Twitter link).
Curry, who sustained the injury after a hard fall in the third quarter of Thursday’s game vs. Toronto, won’t travel to Atlanta and will miss Saturday’s game against the Hawks. He will be reevaluated on Monday, per the Warriors.
Shams Charania of ESPN first reported (via Twitter) the update on Curry, which was later confirmed by Anthony Slater of The Athletic (Twitter link).
Saturday’s matchup in Atlanta is the start of the six-game road trip for the Warriors. As Slater notes, the second game of the trip will be on Tuesday in Miami — it’s the first matchup between the Warriors and Heat after last month’s blockbuster trade of Jimmy Butler.
Butler struggled with his shot (4-of-15 from the field) on Thursday, but he still recorded a triple-double (16 points, 12 assists, 11 rebounds) and had a clutch block late in the fourth quarter. After the game, he said the Warriors will need to play “perfect basketball” without Curry, according to Slater (Twitter video link).
“We can’t afford to turn the ball over. We can’t afford to foul. Because we don’t have the one individual who can automatically get us back into the game,” Butler said.
The Warriors have surged up the standings since they acquired Butler, currently holding a 41-29 record, good for the No. 6 seed in the West. However, they’re only 1.5 games ahead of the Clippers and Timberwolves in the race to secure an automatic playoff berth, so each of their 12 remaining games will be critical if they want to avoid the play-in tournament this spring.
Mavericks’ Davis, Lively, Gafford To Practice In NBAGL
The Mavericks assigned a trio of injured big men to their G League affiliate on Friday, announcing (via Twitter) that Anthony Davis, Dereck Lively and Daniel Gafford will be heading to the Texas Legends.
According to Dallas-based NBA insider Marc Stein (Twitter links), Davis will be going through his second round of 5-on-5 practice with the Legends, while Lively and Gafford are expected to start with a 3-on-3 session.
Davis first practiced with Dallas’ affiliate team on Monday, though head coach Jason Kidd later cautioned that the star forward/center had to clear additional hurdles before he’s able to play again. Davis has been out since February 8, when he sustained a left adductor strain in his Mavericks debut.
Second-year center Lively is recovering from a right ankle stress fracture that has kept him on the shelf since January 14. He has been doing individual on-court work in recent weeks.
Gafford was set to be reevaluated today after suffering a Grade 3 MCL sprain in his right knee on February 10. Evidently that examination went well, as Gafford will be practicing today for the first time in nearly six weeks.
Stein reported a couple weeks ago that Davis and Lively were on track to be healthy before the end of the season, though it wasn’t clear if they’d actually play again in 2024/25. A subsequent report stated there have been no indications the Mavs plan to shut down any of Davis, Lively or Gafford while they remain in postseason contention.
Amid a devastating wave of injuries, the Mavericks have dropped four straight and 11 of their past 13 games. At 33-37, Dallas is currently the No. 11 seed in the West. The Mavs have the same record as Phoenix, but the Suns control the head-to-head tiebreaker and thus the No. 10 seed.
Pelicans Sign Elfrid Payton To 10-Day Contract
10:35am: Payton’s 10-day contract is now official, the Pelicans confirmed in a press release. He is eligible to play in five games over the next 10 days.
9:30am: The Pelicans intend to sign free agent guard Elfrid Payton to a 10-day contract, agent Darrell Comer tells Michael Scotto of HoopsHype (Twitter link).
A Louisiana native who played college ball at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette, Payton appeared in seven games with the Pelicans in the fall on a non-guaranteed deal. In one of those games, he recorded a career-best 21 assists. He was released in early December.
Payton, 31, signed a pair of 10-day hardship contracts with Charlotte last month. He struggled to make an impact in his six games with the Hornets, only scoring six points on 3-of-21 shooting (14.3%) in 123 total minutes.
Prior to 2024/25, it had been two full seasons since Payton had appeared in an NBA game, last suiting up for Phoenix in ’21/22. He has spent time in the G League over the past three campaigns, including playing for the Pelicans’ affiliate — the Birmingham Squadron — in ’24/25.
In 13 total games with New Orleans and Charlotte this season, Payton has averaged 4.1 points, 5.2 assists, 2.8 rebounds and 1.2 steals in 20.5 minutes per contest. He has converted 38.8% of his field goal attempts, including missing his only three-pointer, and split his two free throws.
Mohamed Bamba‘s 10-day contract with the Pelicans recently expired, creating an opening on the team’s standard roster. It’s possible the Pelicans might be able to bring back Bamba while adding Payton — they could qualify for a hardship exception due to the injuries to Dejounte Murray, Herbert Jones, Trey Murphy and Brandon Boston. Boston’s injury, a left ankle stress reaction, is the only one of the four that might not be season-ending — he’ll be reevaluated today.
Payton will earn a $171,756 salary on his new 10-day contract, while New Orleans carries a cap charge of $119,972.
Robert Williams III To Miss 4-6 Weeks After Arthroscopic Procedure
Trail Blazers center Robert Williams III will miss at least four-to-six weeks after undergoing an arthroscopic procedure on his left knee, according to NBA insider Chris Haynes (Twitter link). Williams had been dealing with inflammation in the knee.
Given that there are just over three weeks of games remaining on the Trail Blazers’ schedule, Williams will almost certainly miss the rest of the regular season.
Portland is only two games back of the No. 10 seed, so if they were to qualify for the play-in and then earn a playoff berth, there’s technically a chance Williams could return at some point in the postseason during that four-to-six week timeline. However, that’s no certainty even in the unlikely event the Blazers advance that far.
Williams hasn’t played since Feb. 20 and has been limited to 20 games (three starts) with Portland this season. He’s averaging 5.8 points, 5.9 rebounds and 1.7 blocks per night. Williams has appeared in just 26 total games since being traded to the Trail Blazers prior to the start of the 2023/24 season.
At full health, Williams is one of the premier defenders in the league. He averaged 10.0 points, 9.6 rebounds, 0.9 steals and 2.2 blocks in the 2021/22 season, finishing seventh in Defensive Player of the Year voting. He has appeared in 235 career games.
With Williams and fellow big man Deandre Ayton dealing with injuries this year, rookie center Donovan Clingan has filled in as Portland’s starting center in recent weeks and is performing admirably.
P.J. Tucker Signs Another 10-Day Deal With Knicks
2:00pm: Tucker’s second 10-day deal is now official, the Knicks confirmed in a press release (Twitter link).
10:22am: Veteran forward P.J. Tucker is signing a second 10-day contract with the Knicks, Stefan Bondy of the New York Post reports (via Twitter).
Tucker made his season debut on Wednesday with a two-minute cameo in a loss to San Antonio. He signed his initial 10-day contract with the anticipation that the Knicks would retain him for the remainder of the season. Another 10-day deal doesn’t guarantee that — he’ll have to be signed to a standard contract after this 10-day deal expires to attain that goal.
Tucker started off with the Clippers after picking up his $11.54MM player option over the summer. An agreement was reached in early October that he would remain away from the team while his agent worked with the front office to find a trade.
Nothing materialized until February 1 when the 39-year-old forward was sent to Utah as part of a four-player deal. He was traded again five days later, being shipped to Toronto as part of the five-team Jimmy Butler deal. He remained inactive with the Raptors until he was waived February 28.
Tucker will earn $189,872 over the course of his 10-day deal, while the Knicks carry a cap hit of $119,972. No roster move is necessary, as he’ll continue to hold the 15th spot on New York’s standard roster.
More Details On Celtics’ Impending Sale
In a press release via Business Wire, Boston Basketball Partners LLC officially confirmed that it has reached an agreement to sell its majority stake in the Celtics at a record valuation of $6.1 billion to a group led by William (Bill) Chisholm.
Other members of the new group include current minority owner Robert Hale, Bruce A. Beal Jr., and Sixth Street, a private equity firm.
Sixth Street, which also purchased a stake in the Spurs in 2021, will invest more than $1 billion in the Celtics, a source tells Mike Vorkunov, Jay King and Jared Weiss of The Athletic.
The impending sale still needs to be approved by the NBA’s Board of Governors. According to The Athletic’s trio, the transaction is expected to take a few months to be finalized.
“Bill is a terrific person and a true Celtics fan, born and raised here in the Boston area,” Wyc Grousbeck said. “His love for the team and the city of Boston, along with his chemistry with the rest of the Celtics leadership, make him a natural choice to be the next Governor and controlling owner of the team. I know he appreciates the importance of the Celtics and burns with a passion to win on the court while being totally committed to the community. Quite simply, he wants to be a great owner. He has asked me to run the team as CEO and Governor for the first three years, and stay on as his partner, and I am glad to do so.”
“Growing up on the North Shore and attending college in New England, I have been a die-hard Celtics fan my entire life,” Chisholm said in his own statement. “I understand how important the Celtics are to the city of Boston – the role the team plays in the community is different than any other city in the country. I also understand that there is a responsibility as a leader of the organization to the people of Boston, and I am up for this challenge.
“My partners and I have immense respect for Wyc, the entire Grousbeck family and their indelible contributions to the Celtics organization over the last 23 years. We look forward to learning from Wyc and partnering with Brad Stevens, Joe Mazzulla and the talented team and staff to build upon their success as we work to bring more championships home to Boston.”
Stevens, Boston’s president of basketball operations, met with four prospective ownership groups in the month preceding the sale, sources tell The Athletic. A group led by another current minority owner, Steve Pagliuca, had been considered the frontrunner to purchase the team, per The Athletic’s report. However, Pagliuca released a statement (via Twitter) confirming his bid was unsuccessful.
“I recruited new partners with deep resources and expertise in technology and international markets to maximize the Celtics’ successes to ensure we can always compete for Championships, luxury taxes be damned,” Pagliuca said in part. “We made a fully guaranteed and financed offer at a record price, befitting the best sports fans in the world, and with all the capital coming from individuals who are fully committed to winning on and off the court.
“We had no debt or private equity money that would potentially hamstring our ability to compete in the future. We have felt it was the best offer for the Celtics. It is a bid of true fans, deeply connected to Boston’s community and we’ve been saddened to find out that we have not been selected in the process.”
