With a new group of incoming rookies arriving in the NBA this season and several players from international leagues also coming stateside, there simply aren’t enough roster spots around the league to accommodate all the players who spent time with NBA clubs last season.
As such, a number of those players have opted to sign with teams in Europe and Asia. Those players may be off the NBA radar for the next little while, but they’ll have the opportunity to carve out more significant roles on international teams, and many of them will be just as well-compensated in the EuroLeague or the Chinese Basketball Association as they would’ve been in the NBA.
We’ve been keeping tabs throughout the summer on the free agents who have decided to sign with international teams after playing in the NBA last season. The list below, using information from our Free Agent Tracker, details this offseason’s notable signings and contract agreements involving NBA free agents heading overseas.
Each of the players listed below either appeared in at least one NBA game in 2018/19 or finished the season under contract with an NBA team — or both.
Some of these contract agreements haven’t been made official yet, so we’ll update this list as necessary if any deals fall through. We’ll also add more international signings to the list, as they happen, throughout the rest of the NBA offseason.
- Jerryd Bayless, G: Sichuan Blue Whales
- Antonio Blakeney, G: Jiangsu Dragons
- Isaiah Canaan, PG: Shandong Heroes
- Ian Clark, SG: Xinjiang Flying Tigers
- Angel Delgado, C: Beijing Royal Fighters
- Jerian Grant, PG: Qingdao Eagles
- Jeremy Lin, PG: Beijing Ducks
- Eric Moreland, C: Shanxi Loongs
- Donatas Motiejunas, PF: Shanghai Sharks
- Chasson Randle, PG: Tianjin Pioneers
- Wayne Selden, SG: Shandong Heroes
- Lance Stephenson, G/F: Liaoning Flying Leopards
- Ekpe Udoh, C: Beijing Ducks
- Guerschon Yabusele, PF: Nanjing Monkey Kings
- Quincy Acy, F/C: Maccabi Tel Aviv
- Omri Casspi, F: Maccabi Tel Aviv
- Tyler Dorsey, SG: Maccabi Tel Aviv
- Malachi Richardson, SG: Hapoel Holon
- Jared Terrell, SG: Hapoel Eilat
- Johnathan Williams, F/C: Maccabi Rishon
- George King, SF: Aquila Basket Trento
- Shelvin Mack, PG: Olimpia Milano
- Milos Teodosic, PG: Virtus Bologna
- Ron Baker, G: CSKA Moscow
- Dairis Bertans, SG: Khimki
- Sam Dekker, F: Lokomotiv Kuban
- Isaiah Hicks, PF: Avtodor Saratov
- Jonas Jerebko, PF: Khimki
- Kosta Koufos, C: CSKA Moscow
- Timofey Mozgov, C: Khimki
- Isaiah Whitehead, G: BC Astana (Kazakhstan)
- Alan Williams, F/C: Lokomotiv Krasnodar
- Alex Abrines, SG: Barcelona
- Jordan Loyd, PG: Valencia
- Salah Mejri, C: Real Madrid
- Nikola Mirotic, PF: Barcelona
- Nik Stauskas, SG: Baskonia
- Bonzie Colson, F: Darussafaka
- R.J. Hunter, SG: Turk Telekom Ankara
- Tarik Phillip, SG: Tofas Spor Kulubu
- Emanuel Terry, PF: Bandirma B.I.K.
Photos courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.