Deadline day is finally here. NBA teams will have until today at 2:00 pm Central time to finalize trade agreements. Anyone not traded by that time will be ineligible to be moved until after his team’s season comes to an end this spring.
It has already been an extremely eventful trade season, due in large part to the Nets, who traded star guard Kyrie Irving to the Mavericks on Sunday and reached a blockbuster agreement late on Wednesday night to send Kevin Durant to the Suns.
The Lakers, Jazz, and Timberwolves have also agreed to a major three-team trade that will see Russell Westbrook, Mike Conley, and D’Angelo Russell end up in new homes, while Jakob Poeltl and Josh Hart are among the other notable players reportedly changing teams.
Even with all that action so far, there are still plenty of storylines to keep an eye on as Thursday’s deadline nears.
After agreeing to acquire Poeltl, the Raptors may not be done dealing, with Fred VanVleet, Gary Trent Jr., and OG Anunoby still considered trade candidates. Hawks big man John Collins, Pistons forward Bojan Bogdanovic, and Nuggets guard Bones Hyland are among the many other players who could be on the move on Thursday. And as we saw with the Durant trade, you never know when another star might shake loose.
We’ll be keeping tabs on all the latest news and rumors all day long on Hoops Rumors, leading up to 2:00 pm CT.
In the meantime, here are some of our features and trackers to help you prepare for today’s action:
- Trade Candidate Watch series:
- Trades completed so far during the 2022/23 season
- Players with the ability to veto trades
- Players with trade kickers
- Players who are ineligible to be traded
- Minimum salary players who can’t be acquired using the minimum salary exception
- Teams with traded player exceptions available
- Hoops Rumors Glossary: Explaining the traded player exception and salary-matching rules
- Traded 2023 first-round picks
- Traded 2023 second-round picks
- Cash sent and received in NBA trades in 2022/23
- NBA roster counts
6 thoughts on “Hoops Rumors’ 2023 NBA Trade Deadline Primer”
OG Anunoby, Trent and Achiuwa to Golden State for Wiggins, Wiseman and Moody. Money works. Who says no?
I like it. I’d want a 1st for OG though.
Would have to think there are others still possibly moving – Nurkic, Vucevic, either Bogdanovic, Ibaka, Wall, Korkmaz, Crowder, O’Neale, Mills, Bertans, Hardaway…
I bet my bottom dollar most of those guys are moved today.
Most of them weren’t. How much will you miss your bottom dollar?
Trades are done. No more moves left to be made