For a second straight year, the Jazz finished the regular season with a strong home stretch after an up-and-down first half. And for a second straight year, they ran into the Rockets in the playoffs, unable to mount a serious threat against James Harden‘s squad. With the current squad having perhaps reached its ceiling, the Jazz will likely look to make some changes to their roster this summer.
Here’s where things currently stand for the Jazz financially, as we continue our Offseason Salary Cap Digest series for 2019:
- Rudy Gobert ($25,008,427)
- Joe Ingles ($11,954,546)
- Dante Exum ($9,600,000)
- Jae Crowder ($7,815,533)
- Donovan Mitchell ($3,635,760)
- Kyle Korver ($3,440,000) — Partial guarantee. Non-guaranteed portion noted below. 1
- Grayson Allen ($2,429,400)
- Tony Bradley ($1,962,360)
- Total: $65,846,026
- Derrick Favors ($17,650,000) 2
- Kyle Korver ($4,120,000) 1
- Raul Neto ($2,150,000) 3
- Georges Niang ($1,645,357)
- Royce O’Neale ($1,618,520)
- Total: $27,183,877
Restricted Free Agents
- Tyler Cavanaugh (two-way qualifying offer / $1,443,842 cap hold): Non-Bird rights 4
- Naz Mitrou-Long (two-way qualifying offer / $1,443,842 cap hold): Early Bird rights 4
- Total: $2,887,684
Unrestricted Free Agents / Other Cap Holds
- Ricky Rubio ($22,462,500): Bird rights
- Thabo Sefolosha ($6,825,000): Early Bird rights
- Ekpe Udoh ($4,368,000): Early Bird rights
- No. 23 overall pick ($2,281,800)
- Erik McCree ($1,443,842): Non-Bird rights 5
- Total: $37,381,142
Projected Salary Cap: $109,000,000
Projected Tax Line: $132,000,000
Offseason Cap Outlook
- Maximum cap room projection: $38.9MM
- This projection takes into account Utah’s seven players on fully guaranteed salaries, O’Neale’s non-guaranteed salary, and the cap hold for their first-round pick. It also assumes that Korver is waived and stretched.
- The Jazz could end up with significantly less cap room. If Favors is retained, for example, his cap hit would reduce Utah’s cap space by nearly $17MM. Retaining other non-guaranteed players like Neto and Niang would further cut into that space. If the Jazz were to waive-and-stretch Korver but retained Favors, Neto, and O’Neale, they’d have $20.8MM in cap room.
Cap Exceptions Available
- Room exception: $4,760,000 6
- Favors’ salary becomes fully guaranteed after July 6.
- Korver’s salary becomes fully guaranteed after July 7.
- Neto’s salary becomes fully guaranteed after July 6.
- The salaries for two-way players don’t count against a team’s cap, but their cap holds do during the offseason.
- McCree can’t be used in a sign-and-trade deal.
- This is a projected value. In the event the Jazz remain over the cap, they’d instead have access to the full mid-level exception ($9,246,000), the bi-annual exception ($3,619,000), and their lone trade exception ($3,976,515; expires 11/29/19).
Note: Minimum-salary and rookie-scale cap holds are estimates based on salary cap projections and could increase or decrease depending on where the cap lands.