Norman Powell ‘Definitely’ Wants To Re-Sign With Heat

Norman Powell, who entered the league in 2015, is making his first All-Star appearance on Sunday as a member of the Heat. An unrestricted free agent after the season, Powell is hoping his time in Miami doesn’t end after this season, he told Anthony Chiang of the Miami Herald and Ira Winderman of the Sun Sentinel.

“Hopefully there’s some good synergy from what they’ve seen that I bring to the table,” Powell said. “And hopefully a deal is able to be done sometime. But yeah, I see myself being here and being a part of the Heat organization for however long they’ll have me.”

Powell is in the final year of a five-year, $90MM contract that he signed with Portland. He’s averaging a team-best 23.0 points, to go along with 3.6 rebounds and 2.6 assists per game in 45 starts. The scoring average is also a career best and his shooting averages are strong — 47.4 percent overall and 39.6 percent on three-point tries.

Powell is extension-eligible and would prefer to stay put, even though he’d certainly have suitors on the free agent market.

“This is definitely a place that I want to be,” Powell said. “It’s been nothing but great. Coming here getting adjusted, the organization has been amazing. I love where I’m at. I love the setup. I love the mentality. I love the approach. It has been, honestly, a super easy transition because I feel like everybody in the organization has the same mentality I have of pushing yourself to achieve the best and be the best version of yourself. It’s been fun.”

Powell has been traded a few times in his career – including from the Trail Blazers to the Clippers to the Heat since signing his current contract – and it happened again this week in a odd way. He was moved from the USA Stripes team in the three-team All-Star event on Sunday to the World Team due to Giannis Antetokounmpo‘s injury.

Powell was disappointed last season when he wasn’t selected for the All-Star Game as a member of the Clippers. He averaged a career-best 21.8 points in 60 starts, then was dealt to Miami a three-team swap in July. He now finds himself making that coveted appearance in the new Intuit Dome, the home of the Clippers.

“I really thought that I’d be an All-Star last year with the team, and it didn’t happen,” said Powell, who will also take part in the three-point contest on Saturday night. “Moves are made, and then the venue is actually where you just got traded from and you get selected to be one and go back there in front of the fans, in front of that organization. I think it’s just a nice little Easter egg to the story of my career. … I don’t think they freely wanted to give me up, but I think it’s just a little in-your-face. I still was able to do it.”

Zach LaVine To Undergo Season-Ending Hand Surgery

Zach LaVine will undergo surgery on his right hand after the All-Star break and is expected to be sidelined for the rest of the Kings‘ season, reports league insider Chris Haynes (via Twitter).

LaVine has missed the last three games for the Kings with what was described as a right fifth finger tendon injury.

The 30-year-old guard is averaging 19.2 points per game this year, his lowest scoring rate since the 2017/18 season, and is also posting career lows in assists (2.3) and rebounds (2.8) per night. The Kings are currently tied for their longest losing streak in franchise history at 14 games and hold the worst record in the NBA.

LaVine holds a $48.9MM player option for next season, which he is expected to exercise.

Jeremy Sochan Signs With Knicks

February 13: The Knicks’ signing of Sochan is official, the team announced (via Twitter).


February 12: Fourth-year forward Jeremy Sochan plans to join the Knicks once he clears waivers, ESPN’s Shams Charania tweets.

The Knicks have an open roster spot and made some moves prior to the trade deadline to create additional flexibility below their second-apron hard cap. As ESPN’s Bobby Marks points out (Twitter link), New York went from roughly $148K below the second apron to $1.15MM last week, giving the team room to sign Sochan for the prorated veteran minimum and remain under the apron.

Since Sochan was waived well before the March 1 deadline for playoff eligibility, he’ll be able to suit up in the postseason for his new team. He’ll be a free agent again after the season.

Sochan was placed on waivers on Wednesday by mutual agreement with the Spurs. According to Charania, 10 teams were interested in signing him following the waiver procedure. He had an expiring $7.1MM salary, which makes it highly unlikely he’ll be claimed on Friday.

The No. 9 overall pick in the 2022 draft, Sochan had fallen out of San Antonio’s rotation since December and was viewed as a change-of-scenery candidate ahead of last week’s trade deadline. The club reportedly gave his representatives permission to explore a potential move leading up to February 5. The Knicks were one of the teams who were said to be interested in trading for him.

Sochan made 149 starts and averaged 27.3 minutes per game in his first three seasons with the Spurs, contributing 11.4 points, 6.1 rebounds, and 2.8 assists per contest during that time.

He could provide depth for the Knicks at a number of positions and his defensive prowess could come in handy during the playoffs. Sochan’s main weakness is his outside shooting — he has made just 28.7% of his career three-pointers.

Malik Beasley Signing With Puerto Rican Team

Free agent sharpshooter Malik Beasley, whose NBA future remains in limbo, is joining the Cangrejeros de Santurce in Puerto Rico, according to Shams Charania of ESPN (Twitter link). The club has announced its deal with Beasley on social media (Instagram link).

As Charania notes, the team is owned by Bad Bunny, the Grammy-winning Puerto Rican recording artist who headlined the Super Bowl halftime show last Sunday. The Cangrejeros de Santurce compete in the Baloncesto Superior Nacional (BSN). The league’s 2026 season will tip off next month.

A nine-year NBA veteran, Beasley had arguably the best year of his career in 2024/25, averaging 16.3 points per game and finishing second in the NBA in total three-pointers (319). He appeared in all 82 games and finished as the Sixth Man of the Year runner-up for a Pistons team that improved its record by 30 wins and snapped a five-year playoff drought.

However, Beasley has been in a holding pattern since the 2025 offseason while federal investigators and the NBA look into a possible connection to illegal betting activity. Unlike Terry Rozier and Jontay Porter, who were investigated as part of the same general probe, Beasley hasn’t been arrested by law enforcement or disciplined by the NBA in any way, but he remains in limbo while he waits for those investigations to wrap up.

The 29-year-old was said to be closing in on a three-year, $42MM contract with the Pistons last summer before news broke that he was linked to the federal investigation into illegal gambling.

Beasley has reportedly drawn interest from teams in Europe and China while waiting to be cleared by the NBA, but Charania suggests (via Twitter) that the guard/forward remain closer to home and use his stint in Puerto Rico as a showcase ahead of 2026 free agency while he awaits closure on the NBA’s investigation.

Chris Paul Announces Retirement

After being waived by the Raptors on Friday, Chris Paul has officially announced his retirement from the NBA, confirming his decision in an Instagram post.

“This is it!” he wrote as part of a longer statement. “After over 21 years I’m stepping away from basketball.

“… While this chapter of being an ‘NBA player’ is done, the game of basketball will forever be ingrained in the DNA of my life. I’ve been in the NBA for more than half of my life, spanning three decades. It’s crazy even saying that! Playing basketball for a living has been an unbelievable blessing that also came with lots of responsibility. I embraced it all. The good and the bad.

“As a lifelong learner, leadership is hard and is not for the weak. Some will like you and many people won’t. But the goal was always the goal, and my intentions were always sincere (Damn, I love competing!). It feels really good knowing that I played and treated this game with the utmost respect since the day my dad introduced me to it.”

Paul’s decision brings an end to the career of one of the NBA’s all-time great point guards. The former Wake Forest star, who was drafted fourth overall in 2005, spent 21 seasons in the league, appearing in 1,370 total regular season games and another 149 playoff contests for seven franchises.

Paul earned 12 All-Star berths and 11 All-NBA nods, won the 2006 Rookie of the Year award, was the MVP of the 2013 All-Star game, and led the league in assists five times and steals six times. He also made nine All-Defensive teams (including seven first teams) and was part of the NBA’s 75th anniversary squad.

The North Carolina native began his NBA career with New Orleans, spending six seasons as a member of the then-Hornets, before he was traded to the Clippers in 2011. Former NBA commissioner David Stern, who was acting as the de facto owner of New Orleans’ team at that time while the league sought a buyer, controversially vetoed a trade that would have sent Paul to the Lakers before signing off on a deal sending CP3 to Los Angeles’ other team.

The best stretch of Paul’s career arguably came during his first five seasons in L.A. — he was named an All-Star and an All-Defensive first teamer while also finishing in the top seven of the MVP vote in each of those five years. Although those “Lob City” Clippers never made a deep playoff run, they won postseason series in three of five years after Paul had won just a single series during his time in New Orleans.

Paul, who was traded to Houston during the 2017 offseason, subsequently had stints with the Rockets, Thunder, Suns, Warriors, and Spurs before returning to the Clippers for his final season last summer. The reunion with the Clippers turned sour in the fall as the team decided to part ways with him due to the poor cultural fit. He was traded to Toronto at last week’s deadline before being waived and making his retirement announcement on Friday.

Despite the anticlimactic end to his career – and the fact that he never won an NBA championship – Paul is a surefire future Hall-of-Famer who made the All-Star game with four different teams and will retire holding the No. 2 spot on the NBA’s all-time list of assists and steals leaders. He also served as the president of the National Basketball Players Association from 2013-21.

For his career, Paul averaged 16.8 points, 9.2 assists, 4.4 rebounds, and 2.0 steals in 33.5 minutes per game, with a .469/.370/.870 shooting line.

Raptors Waive Chris Paul

The Raptors have waived veteran point guard Chris Paul, the team announced today.

Toronto acquired Paul from the Clippers at last week’s trade deadline in a financially motivated deal. There was never an expectation that CP3 would suit up for the Raptors, so it was just a matter of time before this transaction occurred.

After spending last season in San Antonio and starting all 82 regular season games for the Spurs, Paul sought a team in free agency last offseason that would allow him to stay close to home in Los Angeles. He eventually came to terms with the Clippers on a one-year, minimum-salary agreement.

However, the future Hall-of-Famer’s 21st NBA season didn’t play out as planned. There was reportedly some tension over his limited role and his “abrasive” locker-room presence. With the Clippers off to a dismal start to the season, they announced in early December that they were “parting ways” with Paul, who would remain on the roster but would no longer be around the team.

L.A. didn’t want to waive Paul, since it would mean eating his guaranteed salary and leaving his $2.3MM cap hit on the team’s books, compromising the front office’s ability to make additional moves around the edges of the roster. Eventually, the Clippers got involved in a three-team deadline deal with the Raptors and Nets that allowed them to move off Paul’s minimum-salary contract while Toronto shed Ochai Agbaji‘s expiring $6.4MM salary in order to duck out of luxury tax territory.

Waiving Paul will create an open spot on the Raptors’ 15-man roster, with no urgency to fill it until at least the end of the All-Star break — and perhaps even later than that. Toronto will have the option of perusing the buyout market for a veteran free agent or perhaps elevating a two-way player like Alijah Martin to the standard roster.

As for Paul, he’ll clear waivers on Sunday, but his NBA career will come to an end here. The 40-year-old announced shortly after being waived by Toronto that he has decided to retire. Our full story on that announcement can be found here.

Jazz Fined $500K By NBA; Pacers Docked $100K

The Jazz have been fined $500K for “conduct detrimental to the league” related to Utah’s games on February 7 (at Orlando) and Feb. 9 (at Miami), the NBA announced today (via Twitter).

Star forwards Lauri Markkanen and Jaren Jackson Jr. sat out the entire fourth quarter of both of those contests, even though the league says they were “otherwise able to continue to play and the outcomes of the games were thereafter in doubt.” Utah was up seven points entering the fourth quarter against Orlando and wound up losing by three; on Monday, the team was up three points entering the final period and won by four.

Jackson, whom the Jazz recently acquired in a trade with Memphis, will undergo season-ending surgery for a growth on his knee over the All-Star break. According to Tony Jones of The Athletic (Twitter link), the Jazz wanted to shut Jackson down when they discovered the issue in his physical, but the former Defensive Player of the Year was “adamant” about his desire to play at least one home game before the procedure.

Kevin O’Connor of Yahoo Sports has heard similarly, stating (via Twitter) that Jackson wanted to play a few games with the Jazz prior to undergoing surgery, which O’Connor calls preventive.

Sources tell Jones that Jackson was on a restriction of 25 minutes, which is one reason why he didn’t play in the fourth quarter of either of those games. Of course, even if that’s true, it doesn’t explain Markkanen’s late-game absence.

Jazz owner Ryan Smith responded to the fine on social media (Twitter link), posting an eye roll emoji along with, “Agree to disagree … Also, we won the game in Miami and got fined? That makes sense …” 

The Pacers, meanwhile, were fined $100K for violating the NBA’s player participation policy in relation to Indiana’s game vs. Utah on Feb. 3.

On the second night of a back-to-back, the Pacers didn’t play Pascal Siakam — who is considered a “star” under the terms of the policy — and two other starters (they weren’t specifically named, but the league was likely referencing Andrew Nembhard and Aaron Nesmith). The league claims all three of those players could have suited up.

Alternatively, per the NBA, the Pacers could have sat the players in other games in a way that would have “better promoted compliance with the policy.” The player participation policy discourages teams from sitting several healthy players in the same game of a back-to-back set.

Overt behavior like this that prioritizes draft position over winning undermines the foundation of NBA competition and we will respond accordingly to any further actions that compromise the integrity of our games,” commissioner Adam Silver said in the press release. “Additionally, we are working with our Competition Committee and Board of Governors to implement further measures to root out this type of conduct.”

Thunder’s Nikola Topic Available To Make NBA Debut Thursday

Nikola Topic is not on the Thunder‘s injury report for Thursday’s game vs. Milwaukee, which means he’ll be active to potentially make his NBA regular season debut, notes Justin Martinez of The Oklahoman (subscriber link).

The 12th overall pick in the 2024 draft, Topic missed the entire 2024/25 season due to a torn anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in his left knee. The Serbian point guard participated in 2025 Summer League, training camp, and part of the preseason prior to being diagnosed with testicular cancer.

Topic’s agent, Misko Raznatovic, announced at the beginning of January that his client had successfully completed chemotherapy to treat his cancer. Topic made his G League debut on Monday and played in the second of a back-to-back on Tuesday, averaging 14.5 points, 5.5 assists and 1.0 steal on .588/.556/.667 shooting in 17.9 minutes per game.

As Martinez writes, Topic will likely be on a minutes restriction on Thursday, but there’s a decent chance he could play with the Thunder shorthanded; Shai Gilgeous-Alexander (abdominal strain), Jalen Williams (hamstring strain) and Ajay Mitchell (abdominal strain, left ankle sprain) are all injured.

More importantly, Thursday represents a significant milestone in the 20-year-old’s recovery from a serious illness.

Dillon Brooks To Serve One-Game Suspension

Suns forward Dillon Brooks has been suspended one game without pay for receiving his 16th technical foul, according to the league office.

Under NBA rules, a player or coach is automatically suspended without pay for one game once he receives his 16th technical foul during a regular season. For every two additional technical fouls received during that regular season, the player or coach will be automatically suspended without pay for an additional game.

Brooks received his most recent technical foul with 6:37 remaining in the second quarter of the Suns’ 136-109 loss to the Thunder on Wednesday. Brooks will serve his suspension Feb. 19 when the Suns play at San Antonio in their first game after the All-Star break.

The Lakers’ Luka Doncic (13), the Pistons’ Isaiah Stewart (12) and the Warriors’ Draymond Green (11) are the other players in double digits in technicals this season. Stewart is currently serving a seven-game suspension for his participation in the Pistons-Hornets brawl this week.

Players’ technical foul counts reset when the postseason begins.

Giannis Antetokounmpo Won’t Play In All-Star Contest; Fox Chosen As Replacement

Giannis Antetokounmpo won’t play in the All-Star Game on Sunday, according to the Bucks (Twitter link).

The news comes as no surprise, since the star forward hasn’t played since suffering a right calf strain on Jan. 23. Antetokounmpo was chosen to play for World Team in the new three-team format.

Spurs guard De’Aaron Fox has been selected by commissioner Adam Silver as his replacement, the league announced (Twitter link), but Fox won’t join the World Team. Rather, he’ll play for the USA Stripes group while the Heat‘s Norman Powell will be reassigned to the World Team. Powell has ties to Jamaica.

According to the Bucks, Antetokounmpo will help coach the All-Star Celebrity Game on Friday and then cheer on his World teammates on Sunday. The perennial All-Star, who is averaging 28 points, 10 rebounds and 5.6 assists this season, had been the subject of trade rumors leading up last week’s deadline.

His availability to Milwaukee, which currently sits 12th in the Eastern Conference, is another matter of intrigue. The Bucks could make a push for a play-in spot when he’s ready to go but it’s also possible they may limit his availability or even shut him down in order to improve their lottery chances.

Fox will be making his second All-Star appearance — his first came in 2023 with Sacramento. The veteran guard is averaging 19.4 points, 6.3 assists, 3.8 rebounds and 1.3 steals in 32.0 minutes per game while appearing in 45 contests.

He’ll give San Antonio, the team sitting in second place in the West, another All-Star representative along with Victor Wembanyama. The Stripes team will be coached by the Spurs’ Mitch Johnson.

Show all