As expected, the Sixers opened this year’s NBA draft by taking LSU’s Ben Simmons. The 6’10” Australian native, who has been the consensus No. 1 choice since the beginning of the college season, averaged 19.2 points, 11.8 rebounds and 4.8 assists during his lone season with the Tigers. Simmons is the latest in a string of big men drafted early by the Sixers. He joins a crowded frontcourt that includes Jahlil Okafor, Nerlens Noel, Joel Embiid and maybe Croatian star Dario Saric. You can view the complete list of selections here.
Here’s the other notable news and events from around the NBA this past week:
- In a three-team trade, the Pacers acquired Jeff Teague, the Jazz acquired George Hill and the Hawks acquired the No. 12 overall pick in this year’s draft.
- The Knicks acquired Derrick Rose, Justin Holiday and a 2017 second-round pick and sent Robin Lopez, Jerian Grant and Jose Calderon to the Bulls.
- The Pacers acquired Thaddeus Young from the Nets in exchange for the No. 20 overall pick.
- The Hornets shipped the No. 22 overall pick to Sacramento in exchange for veteran shooting guard Marco Belinelli.
- The Celtics dealt Deyonta Davis, the first pick of the second round, to the Grizzlies along with the No. 35 overall pick in exchange for the Clippers’ 2019 first-rounder.
- The Pelicans sent the Nos. 39 and 40 selections to the Clippers in exchange for the No. 33 pick.
- The Warriors purchased the No. 38 pick from the Bucks.
- The Nets acquired the 42nd choice from the Jazz in exchange for pick No. 55 and cash.
- The Kings dealt the No. 8 pick to the Suns in exchange for the rights to Bogdan Bogdanovic and the No. 13 overall pick.
- The Trail Blazers acquired pick No. 47 from the Magic in exchange for $1.2MM and a 2019 second round pick.
- The Cavaliers purchased the No. 54 overall pick from the Hawks.
- The Nuggets sent pick No. 56 to Oklahoma City in exchange for cash.
- The Thunder traded power forward Serge Ibaka to Orlando in exchange for Victor Oladipo, Ersan Ilyasova and the rights to Domantas Sabonis, the 11th overall pick.
- The Warriors inked Patrick McCaw.
- The Rockets signed Gary Payton II, Isaiah Taylor and Kyle Wiltjer.
- The Sixers signed James Webb III.
- The Spurs signed Ryan Arcidiacono.
- The Knicks inked Ron Baker.
- The Wizards signed Sheldon McClellan.
- The Knicks signed Marshall Plumlee.
- The Nets signed Yogi Ferrell.
- The Hawks signed Matt Costello.
- The Sixers inked Shawn Long.
- The Jazz signed Quincy Ford.
- Arron Afflalo [Knicks]
- Darrell Arthur [Nuggets]
- Brandon Bass [Lakers]
- Manu Ginobili [Spurs]
- Dwight Howard [Rockets]
- Jeremy Lin [Hornets]
- Dirk Nowitzki [Mavericks]
- Chandler Parsons [Mavericks]
- Deron Williams [Mavericks]
- Derrick Williams [Knicks]