Here are some of the biggest stories from the last week at Hoops Rumors:
The Celtics and 76ers are engaged in serious trade talks regarding the No. 1 overall pick in next week’s draft. In the trade, the Celtics would receive several draft picks, including this year’s No. 3 pick. This deal could presumably lead to the 76ers drafting Markelle Fultz and Josh Jackson falling to the Celtics. The move would also afford the Celtics additional financial flexibility to utilize in free agency this offseason. Here is the latest on the potential trade.
Special consultant Jerry West will leave the Warriors for a similar position with the Clippers. West helped the Warriors build a team that has won two of the past three championships and has been named Executive of the Year twice. The man whose likeness serves as the NBA’s logo also has been instrumental in the front offices of the Lakers and Grizzlies. The Warriors hoped to retain West, but the legend was ready to move on.
The Bucks have officially named Jon Horst their general manager. Horst’s promotion from director of basketball operations is surprising, given that the reported finalists for the position were Bucks assistant GM Justin Zanik, Nuggets assistant GM Arturas Karnisovas, and former Hawks GM Wes Wilcox. A “contentious ownership disagreement” reportedly led to Horst’s ascension.
The Nuggets also have a new general manager: Arturas Karnisovas. Before the Nuggets promoted Karnisovas from assistant GM, he was a finalist for the Bucks‘ GM opening. As a player, Karnisovas was a 6’8″ small forward who won two Olympic bronze medals with Lithuania and three Spanish League championships.
Monta Ellis and Reggie Bullock have been suspended five games apiece for violated the NBA’s anti-drug policy. The suspensions are believed to be marijuana-related. Both the Pacers guard and Pistons wing will serve their time to open the 2017/18 regular season, assuming they are physically able to play.
Ten More Stories
- The 76ers have exercised their team option on Robert Covington.
- Rudy Gay did not pick up his player option with the Kings and will become an unrestricted free agent on July 1st.
- The Hawks are unlikely to offer a full max contract to free agent Paul Millsap this offseason.
- Stephen Curry and Kevin Durant are willing to be flexible with their contracts to give the Warriors the best chance of repeating as champions.
- The Mavericks are serious contenders to sign Jrue Holiday, as well as his brother, Justin Holiday.
- The Cavaliers are expected to offer GM David Griffin a significant pay raise to retain him.
- The Clippers are making progress towards building a new arena in Inglewood.
- CSKA Moscow is attempting to retain NBA prospect Milos Teodosic.
- Possible first-round pick Rodions Kurucs withdrew from the 2017 NBA Draft.
- Possible lottery pick OG Anunoby is aiming to be back at full health by late November or early December.