July 1 marks the start of the NBA’s new league year. At that point, players eligible for free agency will be able to begin negotiating and reaching contract agreements with suitors. In addition to those free agents, another group of players will also become eligible to sign new deals.
For players who are entering the fourth and final year of their rookie scale contracts, July 1 is the first day that they can sign rookie scale extensions. Those players, who are – for the most part – 2014 first-round selections, will have until the start of the 2017/18 regular season to finalize long-term deals with their current teams.
Players eligible for rookie scale extensions can sign new deals that run at least four years, with those contracts taking effect to start the 2018/19 season. If they don’t sign extensions during this offseason, those players will be eligible for restricted free agency in the summer of 2018.
A year ago, eight players eligible for rookie scale extensions signed new deals between July 1 and October 31. Here are the players eligible to sign rookie scale extensions this year, beginning on July 1:
- Kyle Anderson (Spurs)
- Bruno Caboclo (Raptors)
- Clint Capela (Rockets)
- Joel Embiid (Sixers): Extended
- Dante Exum (Jazz)
- Aaron Gordon (Magic)
- Gary Harris (Nuggets): Extended
- Rodney Hood (Jazz)
- Zach LaVine (Bulls)
- Doug McDermott (Bulls)
- Shabazz Napier (Trail Blazers)
- Lucas Nogueira (Raptors)
- Jusuf Nurkic (Trail Blazers)
- Jabari Parker (Bucks)
- Elfrid Payton (Magic)
- Julius Randle (Lakers)
- Marcus Smart (Celtics)
- Nik Stauskas (Sixers)
- Noah Vonleh (Trail Blazers)
- T.J. Warren (Suns): Extended
- Andrew Wiggins (Timberwolves): Extended
The following players were selected in the first round of the 2014 draft along with most of the players above, but aren’t eligible for rookie-scale extensions this year:
- Jordan Adams: Waived in 2016.
- Bogdan Bogdanovic: Has yet to sign rookie contract.
- Tyler Ennis: Fourth-year option declined in 2016.
- P.J. Hairston: Third-year option declined in 2015.
- Josh Huestis: Signed rookie contract in 2015 (extension-eligible in 2018).
- Mitch McGary: Waived in 2016.
- Adreian Payne: Fourth-year option declined in 2016.
- Dario Saric: Signed rookie contract in 2016 (extension-eligible in 2019).
- C.J. Wilcox: Fourth-year option declined in 2016.
- James Young: Fourth-year option declined in 2016.