So far this spring, we have yet to see the sort of NBA head coaching turnover we got a year ago, when eight teams made changes. However, a handful of clubs have parted ways – mutually or otherwise – with their head coaches since the end of the 2018/19 regular season.
In the space below, we’ll provide daily updates on the head coaching searches for each club that has yet to give anyone the permanent title. Some of these searches could extend well into the spring, so be sure to check back each day for the latest updates.
Updated 4-21-19 (10:43am CT)
- Out: Larry Drew (story)
- Expected to interview: Juwan Howard (story), Jamahl Mosley (story), Alex Jensen (story), David Vanterpool (story)
- Other rumored candidates or targets: Jordi Fernandez (story), Nate Tibbetts (story), Wes Unseld Jr. (story), Darvin Ham (story)
- Although Drew did an admirable job in difficult circumstances with the Cavaliers in 2018/19 after taking over for Tyronn Lue six games into the season, he never seemed to want the job on a permanent basis. He and the Cavs agreed to part ways at season’s end, and the team is now exploring the NBA assistant and college ranks in the hopes of hiring a coach with a strong background in player development.
Los Angeles Lakers
- Out: Luke Walton (story)
- Interviewed: Tyronn Lue (story), Monty Williams (story)
- Expected to interview: Juwan Howard (story)
- Other rumored candidates or targets: Mark Jackson (story)
- Even after Magic Johnson‘s resignation as president of basketball operations, the Lakers decided to make a head coaching change. General manager Rob Pelinka is running the search for Walton’s replacement in the absence of a president of basketball ops.
- Out: J.B. Bickerstaff (story)
- Rumored candidates or targets: None
- The Grizzlies‘ front office is in a state of upheaval as well, as veteran general manager Chris Wallace was re-assigned to the scouting department as the same time as Bickerstaff was dismissed. No names have really emerged yet as candidates to replace Bickerstaff, so perhaps Memphis will focus first on finalizing its new-look front office before hiring a new head coach.
- Out: Dave Joerger (story)
- In: Luke Walton (story)
- Also considered: Ettore Messina (story), Monty Williams (story)
- Just two days after they fired Joerger and one day after Walton officially left the Lakers, the Kings reached an agreement to hire Walton as their head coach on a contract that will run through the 2022/23 season. The expedited process reflected the fact that Walton was the No. 1 choice on Vlade Divac‘s wish list, as the recently-extended Kings GM wasted no time in going after his top target. Originally hired by the Lakers to focus on developing their young prospects, Walton should be tasked with a similar role in Sacramento.