2019 NBA Offseason Salary Cap Digest: Philadelphia 76ers

With a pair of homegrown franchise players in place for the 2018/19 season, new Sixers general manager Elton Brand decided the time was right to push his chips into the middle of the table. The team went out and acquired Jimmy Butler and Tobias Harris to team up with Joel Embiid and Ben Simmons, creating perhaps the most dominant starting lineup in the NBA. After a second-round exit, the club will now need to decide how aggressive it will be in trying to keep that group together to give it more time to jell.

Here’s where things currently stand for the Sixers financially, as we continue our Offseason Salary Cap Digest series for 2019:

Guaranteed Salary

Player Options

Team Options

  • None

Non-Guaranteed Salary

  • Jonathon Simmons ($4,700,000) 1
  • Total: $4,700,000

Restricted Free Agents

  • None

Unrestricted Free Agents / Other Cap Holds

Projected Salary Cap: $109,000,000
Projected Tax Line: $132,000,000

Offseason Cap Outlook

  • Realistic cap room projection: $0
  • This projection assumes that the Sixers retain both Butler and Harris, whose cap holds total nearly $53MM combined. In that scenario, Philadelphia would almost certainly remain an over-the-cap team.
  • Maximum cap room projection: $59.2MM
  • This is the Sixers’ cap room projection in the event that Butler, Harris, and Redick are all renounced. That seems extremely unlikely.
  • There are several variations that fall somewhere in between having no cap room and having $59MM+. For instance, if the 76ers only re-sign Butler, renouncing Harris and Redick, they could have $29.4MM in space. If they only bring back Harris and not those other two free agents, that figure could be $37.9MM. Re-signing Harris and Redick without Butler could result in $22.8MM in space, or even more if Redick signs for less a salary worth less than his cap hold.
  • Of course, other players, such as Ennis, Scott, and Pasecniks, could be wild cards here — the above projections assume that they’re not on next season’s roster.

Cap Exceptions Available

  • Trade exception: $957,480 (expires 11/12/19)
  • Trade exception: $2,339,880 (expires 2/7/20)
  • Mid-level exception: $9,246,000 4
  • Bi-annual exception: $3,619,000 4


  1. Simmons’ salary becomes fully guaranteed after July 1.
  2. Pasecniks was the 25th overall pick in the 2017 draft. His cap hold (the equivalent to the 25th overall pick in the 2019 draft) will remain on the Sixers’ books unless the team receives permission to remove it, which would ensure Pasecniks won’t be signed in 2019/20.
  3. Because Korkmaz’ fourth-year rookie scale option was declined, the Sixers are ineligible to offer him a starting salary greater than his cap hold.
  4. These are projected values. If the Sixers are at risk of going into tax territory, they may forfeit the bi-annual exception and have to use the taxpayer mid-level exception ($5,711,000) rather than the full mid-level exception. In the event they use cap room, they’d lose these exceptions, plus their trade exceptions, and would instead would gain access to the $4,760,000 room exception.

Note: Minimum-salary and rookie-scale cap holds are estimates based on salary cap projections and could increase or decrease depending on where the cap lands.

Salary information from Basketball Insiders and RealGM was used in the creation of this post. Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.

newest oldest

13 thoughts on “2019 NBA Offseason Salary Cap Digest: Philadelphia 76ers

  1. imindless

    Dont see jimmy coming back here honestly. Harris and reddick for sure will be back. I think elton will do something crazy like trade simmons or embiid to shake up roster.

    • Coach Him

      no one in their right mind would trade JoJo. He’s the most dominant big man in the game and isnt even in game shape and hasnt hit his prime yet. Gotta be the dumbest comment on here to say Brand could shake things up. Never gonna happen and it would ruin the franchise.

  2. DynamiteAdams

    Sixers should go all out for 2 max players. Whether that’s resigning Butler and Harris or going after KD or Kwahi. I dont think either of them will be too interested but you never know. Personally I’d like to see them resign Harris and then go after Kemba and have Ben move into a forward role.

      • Z-A

        They offered Bjelica the MLE for 4.4M, he got a 3 year 20.4M with over 13M guaranteed. How does that even factor into who they could or couldn’t get?

        • jide

          My point is I don’t remember a big time FA ever signing with us…

          In fact I don’t remember a big time FA signing with any philly team until harper signed this year…cliff lee maybe?

          don’t know crap about hockey tho

          • Z-A

            The Sixers haven’t been looking to sign a big FA until this past offseason. It would be counterintuitive to the process to tie up money in anyone that wasn’t All Star level. The RoCo contract was kinda bad, good in that they paid more upfront, but too many years and money for a 6th man. Lucky the dumped him for Butler.

            If they didn’t land a Top-15 player, there was no point in signing anyone to a big deal. Either via FA or trade.

            I don’t know what the cap situation was pre-Andrew Bynum, but they had money tied up in him, and before that in Iggy who was just an above average player, not a Top-15 player or one you’d build around. And before that money tied up in AI.

            Trying to get KD and LBJ didnt work for a lot of teams. There really wasn’t a plan b option in FA.

          • rgreen

            LeBron chose Los Angeles over Philly.Team wise,the 6ers would’ve been the better choice.And we were 1 of 2 teams he considered.Elton Brand might’ve ended up not being the same player,but he was a top free agent when he signed here.And that’s pretty much the whole list of top free agents the 6ers have even gone after.

            They’re problem hasn’t really been attracting free agents,they’ve just never really had space to work with. Pretty much the same thing with the Flyers.Xfinity/Comcast provides good cable,but they’re definitely questionable sports team owners.

  3. cesc

    I’d let got Butler & Harris, just keep JJ & get some good, solid role players to surround Simmons/Embiid.

      • cesc

        I think with Simmons/Embiid & good players it would be enough to compete for a title, as they would be able to expand even more their game. Can’t see it working with 4 stars. Simmons had a quiet play-off, too many cooks.

  4. Z-A

    KD, Klay are staying in GS. Kawhi I would say 10% chance he could go to Philly, 30% Toronto, 60% LAC.

    Kyrie’s knees are too much of a concern for me. Kemba probably stays 5 yrs in Charlotte.

    Question is would you rather have Jimmy and Harris than Kemba and Harris. I would go with Jimmy. But by a slight margin bc hes a better defender.

    Who do they use their MLE on and do they draft replacements for TJ, Amir, Monroe, Korkmaz retain any on min deals, or draft replacements? W Chandler, Vonleh, Muscala Dedmon could be min guys Beverley MLE.

    Sixers really need to get lucky in the draft. Garland slips, Jerome can guard in the NBA, or Ponds and Edward’s game translate despite being 6ft or under. They also need a backup Big that can pick and pop.

Leave a Reply