After weeks of speculation suggesting that it might be a quiet 2018 trade deadline, we got a pretty eventful day in terms of deals completed — NBA teams agreed to 12 trades today, after four others had been finalized in the 10 days leading up to the deadline.
The deadline was still quiet on some fronts, with contenders like the Warriors, Celtics, Rockets, and Raptors staying out of the fray, but the Cavaliers underwent one of the biggest single-day overhauls in years, and last week’s Blake Griffin trade was a bona fide blockbuster.
Our recap of all of 2018’s deadline deals can be found below, starting with the moves completed today…
Trades completed on deadline day:
- Lakers acquire Isaiah Thomas, Channing Frye, and the Cavaliers’ 2018 first-round pick (top-3 protected).
- Cavaliers acquire Jordan Clarkson and Larry Nance Jr.
- Cavaliers acquire George Hill, Rodney Hood, and the draft rights to Arturas Gudaitis.
- Jazz acquire Jae Crowder, Derrick Rose, and the right to swap 2024 second-round picks with the Cavaliers.
- Kings acquire Iman Shumpert, Joe Johnson, the Heat’s 2020 second-round pick (from Cavaliers), cash ($2.1MM from Cavaliers; $1.1MM from Jazz), and the draft rights to Dimitrios Agravanis.
- Heat acquire Dwyane Wade.
- Cavaliers acquire a 2024 second-round pick (heavily protected).
- Knicks acquire Emmanuel Mudiay.
- Nuggets acquire Devin Harris and the less favorable of the Clippers’ and Knicks’ 2018 second-round picks (from Knicks).
- Mavericks acquire Doug McDermott and the less favorable of the Kings’ and Trail Blazers’ 2018 second-round picks (from Nuggets).
- Suns acquire Elfrid Payton.
- Magic acquire the second-most favorable of the Grizzlies’, Hornets’, and Heat’s 2018 second-round picks.
- Pistons acquire James Ennis.
- Grizzlies acquire Brice Johnson and the less favorable of the Bulls’ and Pistons’ 2022 second-round picks.
- Pistons acquire Jameer Nelson.
- Bulls acquire Willie Reed and the right to swap 2022 second-round picks with the Pistons.
- Hawks acquire Sheldon Mac and cash.
- Wizards acquire a 2019 second-round pick (heavily protected).
Trades completed in the 10 days leading up to the deadline:
- Hornets acquire Willy Hernangomez.
- Knicks acquire Johnny O’Bryant, the Hornets 2020 second-round pick, and the Hornets’ 2021 second-round pick.
- Bucks acquire Tyler Zeller.
- Nets acquire Rashad Vaughn and the Bucks’ 2018 second-round pick (if it falls between 31-47).
- Pelicans acquire Nikola Mirotic and their own 2018 second-round pick (previously sent to Bulls).
- Bulls acquire Omer Asik, Tony Allen, Jameer Nelson, the Pelicans’ 2018 first-round pick (top-5 protected), and the right to swap 2021 second-round picks with the Pelicans.