After weeks of speculation suggesting that it might be a quiet 2019 trade deadline, we ended up getting just the opposite. Fourteen trades were completed today, with eight more having been finalized since January 31.
The deadline was still quiet for some contenders — the Warriors, Nuggets, Thunder, Spurs, and Jazz were among the clubs that didn’t make a pre-deadline deal. And, of course, the Pelicans elected to hang onto Anthony Davis until at least the offseason.
Still, this year’s deadline gave us a ton to keep track of. We’ll attempt to do just that, as our recap of all of 2019’s deadline deals can be found below, starting with the moves completed today…
Trades completed on deadline day:
- Sixers acquire James Ennis.
- Rockets acquire the right to swap their own 2021 second-round pick with the Sixers’ 2021 second-round pick.
- Pacers acquire Nik Stauskas, Wade Baldwin, the Bucks’ 2021 second-round pick, and the draft rights to Maarty Leunen.
- Rockets acquire cash.
- Hawks acquire Jabari Bird and cash.
- Celtics acquire the Hawks’ 2020 second-round pick (top-55 protected).
- Raptors acquire Marc Gasol.
- Grizzlies acquire Jonas Valanciunas, C.J. Miles, Delon Wright, and the Raptors’ 2024 second-round pick.
- Bucks acquire Nikola Mirotic.
- Pistons acquire Thon Maker.
- Pelicans acquire Stanley Johnson, Jason Smith, the Nuggets’ 2019 second-round pick (top-55 protected), the Bucks’ 2020 second-round pick, the Wizards’ 2020 second-round pick, and the Wizards’ 2021 second-round pick (all picks from the Bucks).
- Nets acquire Greg Monroe and the Raptors’ 2021 second-round pick.
- Raptors acquire cash ($110K).
- Magic acquire Markelle Fultz.
- Sixers acquire Jonathon Simmons, the Thunder’s 2020 first-round pick (top-20 protected), and either the Cavs’, Magic’s, Trail Blazers’, or Rockets’ 2019 second-round pick (whichever is most favorable).
- Rockets acquire Iman Shumpert, Nik Stauskas, Wade Baldwin, and the Bucks’ 2021 second-round pick (from Cleveland).
- Cavaliers acquire Brandon Knight, Marquese Chriss, the Rockets’ 2019 first-round pick (top-14 protected), and the Rockets’ 2022 second-round pick.
- Kings acquire Alec Burks and either the Rockets’ or Warriors’ 2020 second-round pick (whichever is less favorable).
- Pelicans acquire Markieff Morris, the Wizards’ 2023 second-round pick, and cash.
- Wizards acquire Wesley Johnson.
Players waived on deadline day:
- Ike Anigbogu (Pacers) (story)
- Omri Casspi (Grizzlies) (story)
- Mitch Creek (Nets) (story)
- Wayne Ellington (Suns) (story)
- Marcin Gortat (Clippers) (story)
- Daniel Hamilton (Hawks) (story)
- Enes Kanter (Knicks) (story)
- Wesley Matthews (Knicks) (story)
- Ben McLemore (Kings) (story)
- Salah Mejri (Mavericks) (story)
- Greg Monroe (Nets) (story)
- Markieff Morris (Pelicans) (story)
- Malachi Richardson (Sixers) (story)
- Milos Teodosic (Clippers) (story)
Note: A number of other players – including Zach Randolph (Mavericks), Jabari Bird (Hawks), Nik Stauskas (Pacers), Wade Baldwin (Pacers), and Shelvin Mack (Hawks) – are expected to be waived, but it doesn’t appear those moves have been made official yet.
Trades completed in the week leading up to the deadline:
- Bulls acquire Otto Porter.
- Wizards acquire Jabari Parker, Bobby Portis, and the Bulls’ 2023 second-round pick (top-36 protected).
- Sixers acquire Malachi Richardson, the Raptors’ 2022 second-round pick, and the draft rights to Emir Preldzic.
- Raptors acquire cash.
- Lakers acquire Reggie Bullock.
- Pistons acquire Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk and the Lakers’ 2021 second-round pick.
- Sixers acquire Tobias Harris, Boban Marjanovic, and Mike Scott.
- Clippers acquire Landry Shamet, Wilson Chandler, Mike Muscala, the Sixers’ 2020 first-round pick (top-14 protected), the Heat’s 2021 first-round pick (unprotected), the Pistons’ 2021 second-round pick, and the Pistons’ 2023 second-round pick.
- Trail Blazers acquire Rodney Hood.
- Cavaliers acquire Nik Stauskas, Wade Baldwin, the Trail Blazers’ 2021 second-round pick, and the Trail Blazers’ 2023 second-round pick.
- Bulls acquire Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot and cash ($2.6MM).
- Thunder acquire the Bulls’ 2020 second-round pick (top-55 protected).
- Mavericks acquire Kristaps Porzingis, Tim Hardaway, Courtney Lee, and Trey Burke.
- Knicks acquire Dennis Smith, DeAndre Jordan, Wesley Matthews, the Mavericks’ 2021 first-round pick (unprotected), and the Mavericks’ 2023 first-round pick (top-10 protected).
- Note: If the Hawks don’t receive the Mavericks’ 2019 first-round pick (top-5 protected), each of these first-rounders would be bumped back at least one year.
Photos courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.