Patrick McCaw

Charania’s Latest: Butler, Grizzlies, Dirk, Kemba

No resolution appears imminent on the Jimmy Butler front, according to Shams Charania of The Athletic, who reports that the Timberwolves “never” showed any willingness to accept the Rockets‘ previously reported offer of Brandon Knight, Marquese Chriss, and four first-round draft picks. Accepting a package that featured a pair of probable non-rotation players and a handful of picks with uncertain conditions was a “non-starter” for Tom Thibodeau, league sources tell Charania. Charania also reaffirms something we’ve heard within the last week or two, writing that there’s a belief around the NBA that the Heat and/or Sixers could re-engage the Timberwolves at some point on Butler.

Charania’s latest article for The Athletic includes several other noteworthy tidbits, so we’ll round up the highlights below…

  • The Grizzlies, who have an open spot on their 15-man roster, are prioritizing signing a veteran center to fill that opening, sources tell Charania.
  • Mavericks big man Dirk Nowitzki is hoping to make his 2018/19 debut in about three weeks, per Charania. Nowitzki continues to recover from ankle surgery.
  • Teams that asked about Kemba Walker during the offseason were told that the Hornets are committed to contending for the playoffs and view Walker as the face of their franchise, league sources tell Charania. Team owner Michael Jordan has a “strong desire” to re-sign Walker when he reaches free agency in 2019, Charania adds.
  • The Hawks have been reluctant to move Dewayne Dedmon to this point, according to Charania. However, with his free agency approaching in 2019, teams are expected to ask Atlanta about Dedmon’s availability leading up to this season’s trade deadline.
  • Before Kawhi Leonard was traded to Toronto in July, the Nuggets were “on the periphery” late into the Leonard sweepstakes, but opted to hang onto their young core, says Charania. That decision has paid off so far this season, with Denver off to a 9-1 start.
  • The NBA’s lone remaining restricted free agency, Patrick McCaw, remains in discussions with multiple teams, including the Warriors, Charania reports.

Warriors Notes: Green, Casspi, McKinnie

Draymond Green is eager to win the Defensive Player of the Year award and with good reason — he would be eligible for a super max extension, Nick Friedell of ESPN relays. Citing fellow ESPN contributor Bobby Marks, Friedell notes that Green could receive a five-year, $235MM extension that would start in 2020 if he captured the prize, though Golden State could only sign one more player to a Designated Veteran Contract because Stephen Curry already has that type of deal.

“I need that bad. Real bad,” Green said of the Defensive Player of the Year award. “I made second team All-Defense last year. I’m (ticked) about that still. I’ll be (ticked) until I right that, so that’s a serious goal of mine this year.”

We have more from the Warriors:

  • Forward Omri Casspi didn’t play at all during the Warriors’ postseason run but the franchise will honor him anyway during a ring ceremony on Monday, Mark Medina of the San Jose Mercury News reports. Casspi, now a member of the Grizzlies, was waived just before the playoffs to open up a roster spot for guard Quinn Cook. Casspi appeared in 53 games with the Warriors after signing a one-year, veteran’s minimum deal but was sidelined by an ankle injury before he was waived.
  • Alfonzo McKinnie acknowledges that the impasse between Patrick McCaw and the Warriors helped him land a standard contract, as he told Anthony Slater of The Athletic in a lengthy Q&A session. McKinnie, a 6’8” forward, is averaging 6.1 PPG and 4.3 RPG off the bench and recorded a double-double against the Bulls last week. McKinnie originally came in on a two-way deal but received a two-year contract in training camp, though his salary for this season won’t fully guaranteed until January 10th. “The McCaw stuff, I guess, was good for my situation,” McKinnie said. “But it’s not something I can control. Just went through training camp, worked my butt off and they liked what they’ve seen.”
  • The Warriors remain hopeful of retaining DeMarcus Cousins beyond this season. Get the details here.

Pacific Notes: McCaw, Jackson, Clippers, Jones

The Warriors are still interested in signing Patrick McCaw despite the clear rift between the two sides, with the 22-year-old still away from the team one week into the season.

“We have his rights no matter whether he accepts the contract that we’ve offered or not,” Warriors coach Steve Kerr said, according to E.Jay Zarett of Omnisport. “We’ve been in touch with him occasionally, and he’s going through his own thought process.

“He knows where we stand. We’d love to get him here. There’s still a place for him here. He has to just make up his mind which direction he wants to go.”

McCaw appeared in 57 games last season and 71 games the season before with Golden State. He provides reliable depth in the backcourt, and reportedly denied two options to return to the bay: A qualifying offer worth $1.7 million, and a two-year deal worth $5 million.

Here are some other notes from the Pacific Division:

  • Suns forward Josh Jackson has improved his three-point shooting, altering his overall offensive attack as a result, Duane Rankin of The Arizona Republic notes. “It feels really good to see the shot go in,” Jackson said. “A lot of times, the defense, they don’t really know if you’ve improved until you prove yourself.”
  • The Clippers are rotating scouts through the Raptors’ games to watch Kawhi Leonard, according to ESPN’s Brian Windhorst. Leonard is set to reach free agency next July and has already been connected to the Clippers.
  • The Mercury News’ Mark Medina detailed in a new post how Damian Jones‘ calm demeanor has helped him stick with the Warriors. “Being calm on the court doesn’t leave me too rattled,” Jones said. “A lot of things are being thrown at me. But by being calm, I don’t let it too much into my head. I’m just chilling.”

Warriors Players React To McCaw’s Holdout

Patrick McCaw has baffled some of his teammates during his contract standoff with the Warriors, writes Marcus Thompson II of The Athletic. McCaw sat out all of training camp and the preseason and isn’t returning calls from players who have reached out to him.

The third-year guard went through the summer without accepting a $1.7MM qualifying offer the team made shortly after last season ended. The Warriors responded with an offer that includes a starting salary in excess of $2MM, along with a second year that is non-guaranteed. McCaw’s representatives have reportedly been urging him to take either that deal or the QO, but so far he hasn’t budged.

“You can’t do this after two years,” an unidentified teammate said. “You’ve got to get the clout first. He doesn’t have the leverage.”

McCaw’s options are limited. As a restricted free agent, Golden State can match any offer he receives from another team. With virtually the entire league operating either over or near the salary cap, McCaw isn’t likely to receive an offer at this point that’s large enough for the Warriors to let him leave.

If he opts to sit out the entire season, Golden State will still keep his rights and he won’t be any closer to unrestricted free agency.

“He’s a man and I support his decision to handle his business how he sees fit,” one of the team’s young players told Thompson. “I don’t know what he’s doing. I don’t understand. But I don’t take it as personal. He has to do what’s best for him. It’s just weird.”

The Warriors have been keeping a roster spot open for McCaw, but that may now go to Alfonzo McKinnie, who agreed to a two-year contract on Friday. Golden State had been counting on McCaw to be the primary backup to Klay Thompson, especially with Nick Young no longer on the roster. Rookie Jacob Evans filled that role during the preseason, but wasn’t particularly effective.

Thompson believes management and the players would still welcome McCaw back if he has a change of heart, but time is running short. Teammates are confused by the way he has handled this offseason and some are concerned about his well-being.

“There has to be something else going on,” one player said. “Has to be. I hope he’s all right.”

Warriors Waive Tyler Ulis, Three Others

The Warriors have waived four players from their 20-man preseason roster, the team announced today in a press release. Point guard Tyler Ulis, swingman Danuel House, big man Deyonta Davis, and guard Kendrick Nunn have all been released, according to the club.

Ulis and House, who each have some NBA experience, appeared to be potential candidates to make the regular season roster with Patrick McCaw‘s restricted free agency still unresolved, but it looks like it will be Alfonzo McKinnie who fills the Warriors’ 14th roster spot instead — he agreed to a two-year contract with Golden State today.

The team is expected to leave its 15th roster spot empty to open the season to retain flexibility and to avoid increasing its projected tax bill.

With Ulis, House, Davis, and Nunn all on waivers and McKinnie receiving a new contract, Marcus Derrickson is the only non-guaranteed camp invitee who wasn’t involved in a roster move today. Anthony Slater of The Athletic tweets that he wouldn’t be surprised if Derrickson claims Golden State’s second two-way contract slot. Currently, the club’s only two-way player is Damion Lee.

Latest On Patrick McCaw

Three months after 2018’s free agent period opened, Warriors shooting guard Patrick McCaw remains unsigned, having let his qualifying offer deadline pass this week without accepting that QO. In an in-depth look at McCaw’s situation, Anthony Slater of The Athletic attempts to make sense of what the restricted free agent is thinking.

According to Slater, McCaw’s representatives have urged him to take one of two options — either accept his $1.71MM qualifying offer or sign a two-year offer from the Warriors that included a $2MM+ starting salary and a non-guaranteed second year. However, the 22-year-old didn’t sign his QO prior to Monday’s deadline and has thus far been unwilling to accept Golden State’s multiyear offer.

While McCaw’s stance is a surprising one, the former UNLV standout appears to be prioritizing opportunity as much as – or more than – his 2018/19 earnings. If he remains with the Warriors, McCaw would have “limited playmaking responsibility and no guaranteed nightly role,” writes Slater.

Sources suggest to Slater that both McCaw and his father Jeff believe that a “more expansive” role would be in the youngster’s best long-term interests as he looks to develop his game and increase his value in advance of his next free agency.

At this point in the fall, most teams around the NBA are fairly set in terms of their 14- or 15-man rosters for the coming season, so it’s not clear if any clubs are willing to make a play for McCaw as long as he remains restricted.

It will be interesting to see which side blinks first in the standoff between McCaw and the Warriors. If Golden State eventually decides that the contract dispute isn’t worth it, the club could pursue other free agent wings, with Jamal Crawford, Arron Afflalo, and Nick Young among those still on the market.

Patrick McCaw Passes On Qualifying Offer

Restricted free agent guard Patrick McCaw is expected to decline his one-year, $1.71MM qualifying offer from the Warriors, Shams Charania of The Athletic tweets.

If that comes to fruition, McCaw would remain an RFA. McCaw was reportedly offered a two-year contract from the Warriors but also plans to turn that down. The previous report indicted it was a $4MM offer but ESPN’s Marc Spears tweets that Golden State proposed a two-year deal worth approximately $5MM with the second year not guaranteed.

McCaw had an October 1st deadline to sign the qualifying offer.

By NBA rules, teams are permitted to extend the qualifying offer deadline beyond that date, so the Warriors could leave McCaw’s QO on the table. However, clubs rarely agree to push back that deadline, since removing the qualifying offer from the equation improves a team’s leverage, limiting the restricted free agent’s options.

His qualifying offer is worth $200K more than his minimum salary of $1.51MM. He’s apparently willing to roll the dice with the hope that Golden State will let him go. As Anthony Slater of The Athletic tweets, McCaw could drag out the process and force the Warriors to move on without him, hoping they won’t match offer sheet once his roster spot is committed to someone else.

The Warriors have been holding a spot open for McCaw, who struggled during his sophomore season in 2017/18. In 57 games (16.9 MPG), the former second-round pick averaged 4.0 PPG, 1.4 RPG, and 1.4 APG with a .409/.238/.765 shooting line.

McCaw is the only restricted free agent left on the market.

Qualifying Offer Deadline Looms For Patrick McCaw

8:30pm: McCaw plans to turn down the two-year offer, Marc Spears of ESPN tweets.

7:21pm: McCaw is mulling a two-year, $4MM offer from the Warriors, Logan Murdock of the San Jose Mercury News reports. The team’s offer will still stand even after Monday deadline, Murdock adds.

9:23am: Today is October 1, which means it will likely be the last day for Patrick McCaw to accept his qualifying offer from the Warriors. If McCaw doesn’t sign his qualifying offer – or another deal – today, he would remain a restricted free agent, but he’d no longer have that QO as a fallback option.

By NBA rules, teams are permitted to extend the qualifying offer deadline beyond October 1, so the Warriors could leave McCaw’s QO on the table if they so choose. However, clubs rarely agree to push back that deadline, since removing the qualifying offer from the equation improves a team’s leverage, limiting the restricted free agent’s options.

In McCaw’s case, his qualifying offer is worth approximately $1.71MM, which is $200K more than his minimum salary of $1.51MM. At this point on the NBA calendar, the 22-year-old shooting guard seems unlikely to receive an offer sheet from a rival team, so if he’s uncertain about his chances of getting a decent multiyear offer from Golden State, it might make sense to accept his QO today.

Still, as Bobby Marks of ESPN notes (via Twitter), because he only has two years of NBA experience under his belt, McCaw is in a tough spot. Unlike players who accept qualifying offers at the end of their four-year rookie contracts – such as Rodney Hood with the Cavaliers – McCaw wouldn’t be on track for unrestricted free agency in 2019 if he signs his QO this season. Instead, he’d be eligible for restricted free agency again next summer.

The Warriors have been holding a roster spot open for McCaw, who struggled during his sophomore season in 2017/18. In 57 games (16.9 MPG), the former second-round pick averaged 4.0 PPG, 1.4 RPG, and 1.4 APG with a .409/.238/.765 shooting line.

McCaw is the only restricted free agent left on the market.

Warriors Expect To Open Camp Without Patrick McCaw

The Warriors will hold today’s media day with no resolution to the Patrick McCaw standoff, tweets Marc J. Spears of The Undefeated. Sources tell Spears that McCaw hasn’t accepted his qualifying offer from the team and isn’t expected to be at training camp when it opens tomorrow.

Golden State extended the $1.7MM QO to the third-year shooting guard in June and has been waiting for a response ever since. He remains the last restricted free agent left on the market.

McCaw faces an October 1 deadline to accept the offer unless the Warriors agree to extend the deadline. The team can pull its QO at any point after that date, but McCaw would still be restricted and Golden State could match any offer he receives.

McCaw has been part of the rotation during his first two years with the team, averaging 4.0 points  in about 17 minutes per game last season. He may have a larger role if he returns, as coach Steve Kerr has talked about reducing the playing time for his four All-Stars.

The Warriors have been keeping a roster spot open for McCaw all summer and will enter camp with just 13 players who have guaranteed contracts.

Warriors Notes: Durant, Jerebko, McCaw, Jones

Warriors owner Joe Lacob is preparing for a recruiting effort next summer to convince Kevin Durant to sign a multi-year contract with the team, he said in an appearance on The TK Show Podcast with Tim Kawakami. Durant will be a free agent once again after signing a one-year deal. Golden State will have Durant’s full Bird rights and will offer a five-year max contract to keep him in a Warriors uniform.

“He deserves to be able to go and be happy wherever he wants to be,” Lacob said. “I hope it’s here. And I hope he feels the same that way I do, and we do, about him when it comes time next summer. But you never can predict these things. We just will do our job and he’ll do his job, and we’ll see what happens next summer. And let the chips fall where they may.”

Durant’s preference for shorter, less expensive contracts has helped the Warriors in other ways, writes Drew Shiller of NBC Sports. Durant passed up a max deal in 2017 with a starting salary of $34.7MM. He signed for $25MM instead, which enabled the team to keep Andre Iguodala and Shaun Livingston. Lacob said a similar decision this summer made it easier for the Warriors to use their mid-level exception to add DeMarcus Cousins.

There’s more Warriors news to pass along:

  • Jonas Jerebko is the latest shooter being brought in to give Golden State more firepower off the bench, Monte Poole of NBC Sports writes in a player profile. The Warriors need the kind of production Jerebko supplied last season with the Jazz, when he shot .414 behind the arc.
  • With just five days until the opening of camp, the Warriors still aren’t sure if Patrick McCaw will re-sign, notes Anthony Slater of the Athletic. The shooting guard can accept a $1.7MM qualifying offer at any time, but he has been waiting all summer for a better opportunity. If McCaw remains unsigned when camp opens, Slater offers some other alternatives such as Nick Young, who was with the Warriors last year, Jamal Crawford, Arron Afflalo and Corey Brewer. They may also decide to let Danuel House, Kendrick Nunn and Alfonzo McKinnie compete for McCaw’s spot in camp.
  • Dietary changes are part of the effort Damian Jones is making to win the starting center’s job heading into opening night, relays Mark Medina of The San Jose Mercury News. Jones has sworn off sweets and other junk food as he sees an opportunity to join the starting lineup for the two-time defending champs, at least until Cousins is ready to play around mid-season. “I’ve been ready for it. I’ve been practicing for a while,” Jones said. “I know what role I’ll take on. I get the big picture. They’ve been telling me all summer what they need me to do.”