The 2020 NBA trade deadline is behind us, but that doesn’t mean teams are finished making roster moves. With two months left in the 2019/20 regular season, there are still a number of roster spots to be filled around the NBA, as well as veterans who might not finish the year with their current teams.
For the rest of February, the NBA’s buyout market figures to be active. A veteran in an undesirable situation due to his playing time or his team’s place in the standings (or both) could ask to be released and may even be willing to give back a little money to accommodate the move. Some teams might make that decision unilaterally, opting to release a veteran to open up a roster spot for a younger player.
Over the rest of the month, we’ll use the space below to monitor the buyout market, keeping tabs on which veteran players have been bought out or released, and which have found new teams. We’ll also keep an eye on players who are potential buyout candidates. The list will be updated daily.
A player on an NBA contract must be waived by the end of the day on March 1 in order to retain his playoff eligibility, so that will be a key date to watch.
Here’s our breakdown of the 2020 NBA buyout market:
Last updated 2-26-20 (11:33pm CT)
Veterans who have been bought out or released this season and are free agents:
- Ryan Anderson, F/C
- Trey Burke, G
- Tim Frazier, G
- Tyler Johnson, G
- Nene, C
- Iman Shumpert, G/F
- Isaiah Thomas, G
- Dion Waiters, G
C.J. Miles, Chandler Parsons, Gerald Green, and DeMarcus Cousins have also been released. However, they have major injuries and may not return this season, so they don’t look like viable candidates to be signed by a new team.
Veterans who have been bought out or released and joined new teams:
- Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, F: Bought out by Hornets; Signed with Mavericks.
- Marvin Williams, F: Bought out by Hornets; signed with Bucks.
- DeMarre Carroll, F: Bought out by Spurs; Signed with Rockets.
- Jeff Green, F: Released by Jazz; Signed 10-day contract with Rockets.
- Reggie Jackson, G: Bought out by Pistons; Signed with Clippers.
- Markieff Morris, F: Bought out by Pistons; Signed with Lakers.
Other veterans who may be candidates to be bought out or released:
- Kyle O’Quinn, C (76ers)
- Denzel Valentine, G/F (Bulls)
- Matthew Dellavedova, G (Cavaliers)
- Tristan Thompson, C (Cavaliers)
- Solomon Hill, F (Heat)
- Bismack Biyombo, C (Hornets)
- Anthony Tolliver, F (Kings)
- John Henson, C (Pistons)
- Brandon Knight, G (Pistons)
- Marco Belinelli, G (Spurs)
- Allen Crabbe, G/F (Timberwolves)
- Evan Turner, G/F (Timberwolves)
Some of the players in this group are likelier buyout candidates than others. We’ll keep updating this list based on reports and rumors in the coming days and weeks.
Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.