Atlantic Notes: Randle, Dudley, Scott, Nets
The Knicks‘ Julius Randle got a head start on building chemistry with his new teammates during workouts last month in Los Angeles, relays Marc Berman of The New York Post. Randle, who signed a three-year, $63MM contract, is among seven free agent additions in New York, along with rookies RJ Barrett and Ignas Brazdeikis.
“It’s important for us to get to know each other, spend time together on the court before training camp starts,” Randle said. “There’s a lot of new pieces. Everyone’s going to be trying to figure out their role. Coach (David Fizdale) is going to do a great job of helping us through that. If we want to be a good team and have a chance, we have to jump-start that process ourselves.”
From an individual standpoint, Randle is working this summer on becoming a more efficient scorer and is watching a lot of tape to try to improve defensively. He believes people who are expecting another losing season in New York are undervaluing the team.
“It’s easy to do that because the last couple of seasons have been hard,’’ Randle said. “It’s easy to underestimate us. But we’re a deep team. We’re a very deep 1-to-15 with guys who can play. If they underestimate us, I don’t care.”
There’s more from the Atlantic Division:
- Jared Dudley was interested in signing with the Celtics, but the team believed it already had enough wings and wanted to keep a roster spot open, reports Gary Washburn of The Boston Globe. The Boston College alum wound up joining the Lakers on a one-year deal.
- Sixers forward Mike Scott is looking forward to having Al Horford as a teammate again, writes Lauren Rosen of NBA.com. Scott broke into the league with the Hawks in 2012/13 when Horford was one of the stars in Atlanta. “Not only is he a great player, he’s a great person,” Scott said. “You love to play with people like that. He’s humble, he’s grateful, he knows his role.”
- The NBA Board of Governors is expected to address Joe Tsai’s purchase of the Nets next month, according to a NetsDaily article. The sale shouldn’t affect any of the basketball operations, but changes may be coming on the business side of the organization.
World Cup Notes: Popovich, Mills, Mitchell, Harris
Team USA coach Gregg Popovich believes the loss to Australia in Saturday’s exhibition game may turn out to be a positive experience, relays Steve Drumwright of USA Basketball. The Americans split a pair of games in Australia, pulling away in the second half Friday before dropping a 98-94 decision yesterday. It was the team’s first loss in international play in 13 years.
“The loss means that we need to play better,” Popovich said. “It’s a measure of who you are. Nobody wins forever. This is a group of guys that’s worked very hard, like I said, to get to know each other and get to know a system. And whatever comes, we can handle. Our job is to try to get better every day. We learned some things tonight. We’re actually a better team now than at the start of the game, because of the knowledge from the game. So, now we move on.”
The defeat raised more doubts about whether Team USA should be considered a heavy favorite heading into the World Cup, which starts Saturday. The Americans have been left short-handed after a series of stars withdrew from the team and will face several talented clubs who have a lot more experience playing together. The U.S. will play its final exhibition game tomorrow against Canada.
There’s more World Cup news this morning:
- Popovich was happy for Spurs guard Patty Mills, who had 30 points in the game, although he joked with reporters that “we’ve already traded Patty.” (Video link from Bleacher Report).
- Donovan Mitchell, one of only two Americans to reach double figures in the loss, tells Eric Nehm of The Athletic that the outcome wasn’t important. “Obviously it hurts to lose, but I look at this and we look at this as more of a learning experience as opposed to we just lost,” Mitchell said. “That’s the mindset. If you think of this as a loss, you start to get carried away with all that. We’re focused on the film. … We’re going to watch it on the plane and we’re going to be ready for Canada. That’s the best thing. You want to win every game, but you learn a lot in losses too.”
- Unlike many of his high-profile teammates, the Nets‘ Joe Harris came a long way to earn a spot on Team USA, observes Brian Lewis of the New York Post. He received an invitation to the Select Team and worked his way onto the main roster. It’s a familiar story for Harris, who had to struggle to win an NBA roster spot after being traded, waived and undergoing foot surgery in 2016, all on the same day.
Bucks Expressing Interest In Jodie Meeks
The Bucks are the latest team to show interest in Jodie Meeks, tweets Ben Stinar of Amico Hoops. We told you earlier this month that the Clippers and Hornets have both reached out to the 32-year-old shooting guard, and it appears the market is expanding.
Meeks has a history in Milwaukee, starting his career there after being taken with the 41st pick in the 2009 draft. He was traded back to the Bucks last October while serving a 25-game suspension for violating the NBA’s anti-drug policy. Milwaukee waived him in November when that suspension expired.
He signed with the Raptors late in the season, getting into eight games during the regular season and 14 in the playoffs.
Milwaukee already has the league limit of 20 players under contract for training camp, including 14 with guaranteed contracts, so someone would have to be moved to make room for Meeks.
Makur Maker Considers Alternatives To College
Makur Maker, one of the top high school prospects in the nation, may be the next player to bypass college on his road to the NBA, writes Evan Daniels of 247sports. The 6’11” center, who attends Pacific Academy in Irvine, California, has already received interest from the G League, the NBL and other professional leagues, according to his guardian, Ed Smith.
“It’s definitely appealing playing against grown men, although you’re playing against grown men in college too,” Maker said. “Competition is going to be there no matter what.” The thing about college is you play on national TV every night so you’re getting that exposure from the country and basically the world. That’s very appealing to me.”
Maker is considered a top-five college prospect. He is the cousin of Pistons center/power forward Thon Maker, who was drafted without ever playing college basketball.
More players are seeking alternatives to the NCAA as they plot out their futures. Top 2020 prospects R.J. Hampton and LaMelo Ball both opted for the NBL. K.J. Martin Jr. is training privately instead of going to college, while potential 2021 draftee MarJon Beauchamp plans to train with Chameleon BX, a private company based in San Francisco.
Maker has plenty of suitors if he opts for college basketball. He named Kentucky, Oregon, UCLA, USC and Washington State as heavy recruiters, and he may visit Howard this fall.
“The thing about college is it keeps you relevant, and from my perspective it helped Zion (Williamson) a lot,” Smith said. “He did get better, but it also helped his career standpoint. You have to keep an eye on that.”
Five Key Stories: 8/17/19 – 8/24/19
If you missed any of this past week’s biggest headlines from around the NBA, we’ve got you covered with our Week in Review. Here are some of the most noteworthy stories from the last seven days:
Dwight Howard completed an unlikely return to the Lakers this week, reaching an agreement to sign with L.A. once he clears waivers. He consented to a buyout deal with the Grizzlies and was waived this morning. Howard had a messy parting with the franchise when he left as a free agent in 2013, but an ACL injury to DeMarcus Cousins last week created an opening for him to return.
The final roster decision for the U.S. World Cup team was simplified when a sore left ankle took Kyle Kuzma out of the running. Team USA suffered its first international loss in 13 years earlier today when Australia pulled off a 98-94 victory in an exhibition game.
The NBA and the Kings concluded their investigation into a sexual assault lawsuit filed against Sacramento coach Luke Walton. The league ruled that there isn’t enough evidence to take disciplinary action against Walton. His accuser, Kelli Tennant, refused to participate in the investigation.
The Hawks promoted Travis Schlenk to president of basketball operations and gave him a multi-year contract extension. Schlenk has put together one of the league’s most impressive collections of young talent since joining the organization in 2017.
Tyronn Lue reached an agreement to become part of Doc Rivers’ staff with the Clippers. Lue, who was considered the favorite to become the Lakers‘ next head coach earlier this summer, compiled a 128-83 record in Cleveland.
Here are 10 more noteworthy headlines from the past week:
- In amendments to a lawsuit filed against his former representative, Pelicans rookie Zion Williamson alleges that Gina Ford and Prime Sports Marketing started recruiting him in January, three months before he declared for the NBA draft.
- Williamson and Grizzlies guard Ja Morant are the favorites to be named Rookie of the Year in a survey of their peers. However, it’s been more than a decade since that survey picked the correct winner.
- Some WNBA players are discussing a work stoppage that could wipe out all of next season. The league’s base salary is about $75K and the average player makes $116K, but attendance is down and a $12MM loss was reported last year.
- There’s speculation that the Thunder will be patient in their effort to trade Chris Paul. Oklahoma City found few takers in its attempt to move Paul after acquiring him from Houston, and the front office hopes to build some leverage before trying again.
- A source says Bradley Beal would give “serious consideration” to joining the Heat if he can’t work out a long-term deal with the Wizards. Beal is eligible for an extension this summer, but he plans to wait until Washington can make a larger offer before deciding on his future.
- Rockets forward P.J. Tucker said he’s optimistic about an extension with the team. Tucker will make $8.3MM this season, but only has a $2.57MM guarantee on his $7.97MM salary for 2020/21.
- Free agent power forward Trevor Booker is getting interest from three of the NBA’s top teams. Booker worked out for the Nuggets this week and has upcoming sessions with the Bucks and Clippers.
- Veteran guard Isaiah Canaan has reached a deal to play in China this season. The 28-year-old will join Shandong in the Chinese Basketball Association.
- Jerryd Bayless, who split last season between the Sixers and Timberwolves, is also headed to China. The 31-year-old guard signed with the Sichuan Blue Whales.
- Long-time Maverick J.J. Barea officially signed up for another year with the franchise. He is still recovering from an Achilles tear and hopes to be ready for training camp.
Photo courtesy of USA Sports Images.
French Team To Sign Briante Weber
Briante Weber, who has spent time with five NBA teams, will play in France this year, according to Dario Skerletic of Sportando. The 26-year-old point guard has reached an agreement with Metropolitans 92, which is based in Boulogne-Levallois.
Weber attended a pair of free agent mini-camps in June with the Raptors and Timberwolves. He began last season with Sioux Falls in the G League after being waived by the Heat in training camp, then signed with the Greek club Olympiacos in February.
Weber’s last NBA experience was a combined 18 games for the Rockets and Grizzlies during the 2017/18 season. He also had brief stops with the Heat, Warriors and Hornets.
Wolves Notes: Wiggins, Rosas, Covington, Teauge
Andrew Wiggins was a popular topic of conversation as new Timberwolves president Gersson Rosas made the rounds Thursday at the Minnesota State Fair, relays Chris Hine of the Star Tribune. Most of the questions concerned the uneven production that Wiggins has provided since signing a five-year max extension in 2017. Wiggins posted an 18.1/4.8/2.5 line last season, but shot a career worst 41.2% from the field and 33.9% from 3-point range.
Rosas understands fans’ frustrations, but pointed out that Wiggins has dealt with frequent coaching changes since coming to Minnesota in 2014. Still, Rosas wants to see more production from one of the cornerstones of the franchise.
“Andrew in particular with his talent and physical abilities, the potential he’s shows, we’ve got to get that on a more consistent basis,” Rosas said. “He’s focused on it as well. In order for us to have the success we want to have, he’s got to be a main contributor. He understands that, we understand that.”
There’s more out of Minnesota:
- The Wolves already have 15 players with guaranteed contracts, but they may be willing to add more before training camp starts, Rosas said in the same story. That means they could be stuck with dead money if they can’t work out a trade before rosters have to be finalized, but Rosas is willing to take that chance. “If we have to eat a contract, we’ll eat a contract,” he said. “But we want to create depth, competitiveness in camp and sometimes you end up eating or trading a contract you need to. At the end of the day you want to emphasize competition and a guy beats another guy out, we have the flexibility to do that.”
- Robert Covington and Jeff Teague, who both had their seasons cut short by injuries last year, are expected to be ready for training camp with no restrictions, Hine adds. Covington dealt with a bone bruise in his right knee that limited him to 22 games after he arrived in a November trade with the Sixers. He had an arthoscopic procedure performed on the knee in April. Teague was limited to 42 games because of fragments in his left ankle and had a debridement procedure after the season ended.
- Two offseason projections give the Wolves a good chance to bounce back from a disappointing season. FiveThirtyEight expects a 42-40 record with a 45% chance to make the playoffs, while ESPN’s Real Plus-Minus projects them for 39.5 wins and a 32% shot at the postseason.
NBA Clears Luke Walton In Sexual Assault Investigation
The NBA has announced that Kings coach Luke Walton has been cleared in the league’s investigation of a sexual assault lawsuit filed by a former television reporter, tweets Sean Cunningham of KXTV in Sacramento. Investigators hired by the league determined there isn’t enough evidence to support the allegations.
Kelli Tennant, who brought the lawsuit, was not part of the investigation, Cunningham adds (Twitter link). The investigators tried several times to interview Tennant, but she repeatedly declined through her attorney.
“I am 100% focused on coaching the Sacramento Kings, and energized to work with this incredible group of players and coaches as we start the preseason,” Walton said in a statement tweeted by James Ham of NBC Sports Bay Area. “I will have no further comment.”
The team also issued a brief statement that read, “Luke Walton is our head coach and we support him and his team as they continue to prepare for the upcoming season” (Twitter link from Jason Jones of The Athletic).
The Kings, who worked alongside the NBA in the investigation, had promised to take an “innocent until proven guilty” stance with their new coach. Walton was given a four-year contract in April, shortly after being fired by the Lakers.
Tenant filed the suit four months ago, claiming the incident happened in May of 2017 while she was interviewing Walton in a hotel room for a book she was putting together. She said he forcibly kissed her and rubbed his body against her even as she asked him to stop. Walton has denied the accusation, with his attorney calling her “an opportunist.”
Celtics Notes: Fall, Irving, Brown, Wanamaker
Heading into his first NBA training camp, Celtics center Tacko Fall wants to prove that he has more to offer than just his 7’7″ frame, writes A. Sherrod Blakely of NBC Sports Boston. Fall signed an Exhibit 10 contract after being passed over in this year’s draft. It carries a small signing bonus, but no guarantees beyond that.
Having to prove himself is a familiar situation for Fall, who wasn’t heavily recruited by colleges and had to go through the NBA G League Elite camp to get an invitation to this year’s draft combine. He made an impression there, setting records for tallest height in shoes (7-7), wingspan (8-2 ¼) and standing reach (10-2 ½), but it wasn’t enough to get drafted.
“I know what I am fighting for,” Fall said. “That hasn’t changed since I got here. I know what I am capable of and where I want to be and where I need to be. I’m gonna fight every day to be in that position and stay there. I love the game of basketball and there’s no better place to do it than the NBA. Night in, night out, play against the best players in the world. For me, that’s fun.”
There’s more today from Boston:
- Two years have passed since the deal that brought Kyrie Irving from Cleveland, and the Celtics are still the clear winners of that trade, Blakely writes in a separate story. Even though Irving signed with the Nets last month, Blakely believes it was a good gamble to take. Isaiah Thomas, who was one of the centerpieces of the deal, was injured more severely than anyone realized at the time, while moving Jae Crowder cleared playing time for Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum.
- After a season filled with locker room tension, Brown is looking forward to a fresh start that’s free from “politics,” tweets Michael Lee of The Athletic. Brown was among the players who were asked to adjust their roles last year as Irving and Gordon Hayward returned from injuries. “My whole mantra for this year is, ‘Just hoop,’” Brown said. “I’m just going to come out and try to play, be myself and hopefully I’m allowed to do that. I don’t want to put no expectations on it. I don’t want no politics. I just want to play basketball.”
- Brad Wanamaker opted to re-sign with the Celtics last month because he believes the roster turnover will provide more opportunities, tweets Adam Himmelsbach of The Boston Globe. The point guard got into just 36 games during his rookie season. “Everything was pretty much set in stone (last year), and I was really working myself in,” he said. “Now it’s kind of an open window for some minutes in certain places.”
Howard, Noah Impressive In Lakers Workouts
Dwight Howard and Joakim Noah both worked out for the Lakers Thursday and “left impressions that they could be helpful to the team,” tweets Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN. Marreese Speights, who is also being considered for a roster spot, will hold his workout today.
L.A. is scrambling to find a replacement for free agent addition DeMarcus Cousins, who suffered a torn ACL last week. No timetable has been established for Cousins’ recovery, but it’s possible he will miss the entire season.
Howard is still under contract with the Grizzlies, but they have no plans to keep him on the roster after acquiring him from the Wizards this summer in a trade to cut salary. Memphis granted permission for Howard to audition for a role with the Lakers.
Noah remains unsigned after averaging 7.1 PPG and 5.7 RPG in 42 games for the Grizzlies last season. Speights spent the past season playing in China.
