The 2020 trade deadline wasn’t quite as eventful as 2019’s record-setting deadline, but we still got a flurry of activity before the clock struck 2:00pm central time on Thursday afternoon.
Although it was a quiet week for several potential contenders, including the Lakers, Bucks, Raptors, and Celtics, big-name trade candidates like D’Angelo Russell and Andre Drummond were on the move and a total of 11 deals were officially completed on deadline day.
We’ll use the space below to recap all of 2020’s deadline deals, starting with the moves that were finalized on Thursday.
Trades completed on deadline day:
Timberwolves finally land D’Angelo Russell (story)
- Timberwolves acquire D’Angelo Russell, Omari Spellman, and Jacob Evans.
- Warriors acquire Andrew Wiggins, the Timberwolves’ 2021 first-round pick (top-three protected), and the Timberwolves’ 2021 second-round pick.
- Note: The Timberwolves’ 2021 first-round pick will become unprotected in 2022 if it’s not conveyed in ’21.
Cavaliers emerge as surprise landing spot for Andre Drummond (story)
- Cavaliers acquire Andre Drummond.
- Pistons acquire Brandon Knight, John Henson, and either the Cavaliers’ or Warriors’ 2023 second-round pick (whichever is less favorable).
Clippers beat out Lakers for Marcus Morris in three-team trade (story)
- Clippers acquire Marcus Morris and Isaiah Thomas.
- Knicks acquire Maurice Harkless, the Clippers’ 2020 first-round pick, the Pistons 2021 second-round pick, the right to swap their own 2021 first-round pick with the Clippers’ 2021 first-round pick (top-four protected), and the draft rights to Issuf Sanon.
- Wizards acquire Jerome Robinson.
- Heat acquire Andre Iguodala, Jae Crowder, and Solomon Hill.
- Grizzlies acquire Justise Winslow, Dion Waiters, and Gorgui Dieng.
- Timberwolves acquire James Johnson.
Hawks re-acquire Dewayne Dedmon (story)
- Hawks acquire Dewayne Dedmon, the Rockets’ 2020 second-round pick, and the Heat’s 2021 second-round pick.
- Kings acquire Jabari Parker and Alex Len.
Sixers fortify their bench (story)
- Sixers acquire Alec Burks and Glenn Robinson III.
- Warriors acquire the Mavericks’ 2020 second-round pick, the Nuggets’ 2021 second-round pick, and the Raptors’ 2022 second-round pick.
Rockets flip Jordan Bell to Memphis (story)
- Rockets acquire Bruno Caboclo.
- Grizzlies acquire Jordan Bell and the right to swap the Mavericks’ or Heat’s 2023 second-round pick (whichever is less favorable) with the Rockets’ 2023 second-round pick (top-32 protected).
Magic acquire James Ennis (story)
- Magic acquire James Ennis.
- Sixers acquire the Lakers’ 2020 second-round pick.
Nuggets, Wizards swap backup guards (story)
Trail Blazers trade Skal Labissiere to reduce their tax bill (story)
- Hawks acquire Skal Labissiere and cash ($1,759,795).
- Trail Blazers acquire the Hawks’ 2024 second-round pick (top-55 protected).
Clippers move Derrick Walton Jr. to open roster spot (story)
- Hawks acquire Derrick Walton Jr. and cash ($1,313,576).
- Clippers acquire the Hawks’ 2022 second-round pick (top-55 protected).
Players waived on deadline day:
- Trey Burke (Sixers) (story)
- Tim Frazier (Pistons) (story)
- Amile Jefferson (Magic) (story)
- Nene (Rockets) (story)
- Derrick Walton Jr. (Hawks) (story)
Note: Isaiah Thomas (Clippers) and Gerald Green (Nuggets) are expected to be waived and Dion Waiters (Grizzlies) will likely be released or bought out, but those moves have not yet been made official.
Trades completed in the month leading up to the deadline:
Rockets, Hawks, Timberwolves, Nuggets complete massive 12-player trade (story)
- Rockets acquire Robert Covington, Jordan Bell, and the Warriors’ 2024 second-round pick.
- Hawks acquire Clint Capela and Nene.
- Timberwolves acquire Malik Beasley, Juan Hernangomez, Evan Turner, Jarred Vanderbilt, and the Nets’ 2020 first-round pick (top-14 protected).
- Note: The Nets’ 2020 first-round pick will again be top-14 protected in 2021 if it’s not conveyed in ’20.
- Nuggets acquire Gerald Green, Keita Bates-Diop, Shabazz Napier, Noah Vonleh, and the Rockets’ 2020 first-round pick.
- Mavericks acquire Willie Cauley-Stein.
- Warriors acquire the Jazz’s 2020 second-round pick.
Thunder reduce tax bill, acquire a rookie forward (story)
Trail Blazers acquire Trevor Ariza, shed salary (story)
- Kings acquire Kent Bazemore, Anthony Tolliver, the Trail Blazers’ 2024 second-round pick, and the Trail Blazers’ 2025 second-round pick.
- Trail Blazers acquire Trevor Ariza, Caleb Swanigan, and Wenyen Gabriel.
Hawks re-acquire Jeff Teague (story)
Photos courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.